Start by marking “The Brass Bed (Jewel Heiss #1)” as Want to Read:
The Brass Bed (Jewel Heiss #1)

The Brass Bed

(Hinky Chicago #1)

“Funny, frisky, and far out! Jennifer Stevenson’s writing is naughty and irresistible.”
–Julie Kistler, author of Scandal

THE CURSE: Satisfy one hundred women or be trapped in a brass bed forever
Lord Randall was a lousy lover in 1811, so his magician-mistress turned him into a sex demon. Lucky for him, his bed fell into Clay’s hands.

THE CON: Sex therapy for women on an anti
Published April 29th 2008 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Brass Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brass Bed

Cyndi
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An alternate reality full of magic that, of course, the government tries to cover up. Our heroine works for the branch of the gov. that covers it up. Her boss sends her to investigate what he thinks is either his wife’s affair or a con man playing her. What our heroine finds is a demon trapped in a brass bed and cursed to bring a hundred women to ‘bow-chick-a-wow-wow’ before the curse is lifted.
Funny book with hilarious characters!
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jun 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008-reads
I don't know who I ticked off, but this was another book I could not finish. I picked it up THREE different times trying to get into it and finally just gave up. The author's writing is first person which normally doesn't bother me. Whenever I tried to read this book, I just ended up frustrated, confused, and lost. The plot seemed to jump all over the place and I didn't much like the hero or the heroine. Hopefully, somebody else managed to finish this and like it, but it certainly wasn't me!!
Marianne
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
The Brass Bed is the first book in the Jewel Heiss series by American author, Jennifer Stevenson. Jewel Heiss is an agent for Chicago’s Department of Consumer Services. Her boss, Ed Neccio has her permanently assigned to cases involving magic: the Mayor gets upset when magic hits the news. But on the side, Ed wants her to find out what his wife, (and her best friend) Nina, is up to: he’s convinced this “therapist” she is seeing is her lover on the side. Clay Dawes runs a sex therapy service invo ...more
Terri
Sep 30, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: masochists
Recommended to Terri by: Amazon, who apparently hates me.
Shelves: 2009, abandoned-books
Seriously, one of the worst books I've ever read. If I had the main character's job, or her friends, or her boss, or her life I'd probably throw myself into Lake Michigan. I can't figure out why, at no point in the story, she doesn't just throw her hands up in digust in walk away. There is absolutely no reason for her to keep putting up with the nonsense that is tossed at her, yet she keeps on trucking. Worse, this is supposedly a steamy romance novel, yet the sex scenes are completely unsexy, t ...more
Julie
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was funny. It is not dirty/erotic, so if that is what you are looking for, move on. However, there is sex.
My biggest issue was the feeling that it was a later book in the series, since it felt like we should have known what "hinky" meant in the context of the book. It is mostly explained toward the end, but really should be earlier in my opinion.
My favorite quote is from the end,from a prayer. Gathering for food is quite the expression of love, as you will see. 'Lord, they say you can’t pic
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Stevenson's world is quirky and fun, and like no other author's. This is light reading that you can get through in a few short hours. The story develops by making assumptions about what the reader knows and then gives background in a less traditional way, so don't expect to get all the information in ABC order. That is not Jennifer's style. But you will get the whole story eventually!

I love Jennifer's sex scenes! They always leave you with the impression of great sex, but without any of
Barbara ★
I liked the concept of this book - a bad lover cursed to spend time trapped in a bed until he satisfied 100 women. But the execution was a bit scatterbrained. Honestly I kept looking to see if this was book two in a series. It was very hard to follow and there were just too many unexplained things - like the pink fog, the smoking pigeons and the nix on saying "magic". I liked Jewel though her nymphomania was kind of out of control. Hell she's a fraud investigator for the police and she's done ev ...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
Oct 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: d-n-f
I tried, I really did, but the writing is horrible, the plot has potential, but the banter was crap, and the story was boring.
I got about 80 pages in and couldn't finish, came back 6 months later, and I couldn't get farther than page 189. It was just too hard to read a book I couldn't find it in myself to care about. I'm really glad I didn't buy the book, that is was a free download.
Janet Robel
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sorry, this just wasn't for me. I couldn't bring myself to like the characters or the plot. I liked the concept but that's it.
Sara Stamey
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just discovered Jennifer Stevenson's wacky, wonderful series, and plan to read more in it soon. As others have said, her stories are original, amusing, and pretty darn hot! There are nods to romantic fantasy, but the tone here is sly and subversive, while staying light and fast-paced. Her heroine Jewell is definitely her own boss, though susceptible to the charms of men, and she manages to call the shots with two hunky guys, one of whom literally sweeps her off her feet into fantastic sensual ...more
Jen Taylor
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was a huge let down. I had heard such good things about it, but it totally fell flat. I struggled to get through it. It was tedious, boring, lame and just downright hard to get into at all. The characters were flat and poorly written. The plot was frenzied, not very well organized and it was boring. Sorry to say I am not going to be reading the sequel if it is as bad as this book. I couldn't even force myself to finish it. I got 3/4 of the way and found it too horrid to finish. Sorry J ...more
Barbara
Sep 27, 2009 marked it as to-read
Can't seem to get into this one...Went against my rule of "Never read reviews or look at average ratings before I form my own opinion" but I had to this time...And low and behold what I found was I believe the lowest ratings in goodreads history! No wonder, and thank goodness I wasn't alone (this time anyways)!
stormhawk
Free Kindle download, otherwise I would never have even looked at this book. Struggled through the first three or so chapters and just couldn't go any further.

Bear in mind that I have a sort of Book-related OCD, where once I start a book, no matter how terrible, I have to finish it. Except this one. I couldn't take any more. Buh-bye.
Deborah
May 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
I wanted very badly to enjoy this. I liked the premise quite a bit, but I just didn't like any of the characters.
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
uhm... kinda weird, there didnt seem to be a plot until almost the end. The book went into details on the characters and story line with no introduction first so it was confusing.
Stephanie
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF.

It got two stars because the summary seemed interesting - like a funny, sexy read.
Instead we have annoying characters and annoying situations. I would almost like the main character but she has no backbone. For example: Really annoying slutty character is in the wrong and is a bitch -> argument -> MC apologizes because she doesn't want to lose a "friend" (who's barely a friend and is fucking her best friend's husband).
The relationships are just horrible.
The reader is also thrown into
Mina Lobo
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: luuurved
I think one has to have a deep and generous appreciation for the absurd to enjoy The Hinky Brass Bed. As paranormal chick-lit this is a giddy romp through the pink-mist shrouded streets of an alternative version of Chicago. I got a kick out of Stevenson's world-building, and I don't need to have the whys of the weird and subversive magic permeating the city explained to me. I sank into the "rules" of this story world with pleasure--road rage creates conditions similar to a rosy Bermuda Triangle, ...more
Melanie
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m back and forth between 2 and 3 stars. On the one hand, this was just so freaking weird and disjointed - it jumped all over the place, there’s no back story to why things are magic-ish, and there is just random stuff like the phrase “da mayor” thrown in as if it’s a figure of speech (and then sometimes characters talk with that accent, and sometimes they don’t). It felt like a writer wishing she was Jenny Crusie, with the hot con men and the bigger girl heroine who can’t help but want to help ...more
Paranormal Books R Us
The Hinky Brass Bed Review

I really wanted to like this one but I had a hard time finishing it. While the idea for the plot is really interesting the story was all over the place. I feel like it could really benefit from a prologue that explains the "Hinky" aspect a little better. Why is there magic running amok all over the place when did it start? I kept waiting for an explanation but it never came. The other thing I had a hard time getting past was all the characters with accents. The author t
Stanley Hutchings
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if you like funny, magic-filled, erotic, sex-themed story
Recommended to Stanley by: Coed Demon Sluts
This is a funny, magic-filled, erotic, sex-themed story about a brass bed and its occupant. Jewel, Chicago investigator of "hinky stuff" and fan of risky sex, is referred to Nina's "sex therapist" for treatment of her proclivities. Jewel suspects a con after Nina confides she's visiting him 4 times a week at $350 per visit. Jewel gets a real surprise when she tries to bust the fraud. It's certainly not the kind of fraud she suspected, it may not even be a fraud. Randy, a bewitched succubus and C ...more
Helen Moxham
Confusing writing style but good plot

This book was all over the place and the characters were borderline two dimensional. The storyline was good and entertaining however, it was a mission the figure out what was happening/had happened in many places. The writing style improved nearer the end of the book so that combined with the entertaining storyline has encouraged me to consider reading the next book.
The friends of jewel were positively toxic with very few redeeming characteristics. She hersel
Jan
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this ebook because it was listed as being a time travel book, but it really wasn't. Jewel, the main character is an officer in the fraud division in Chicago. But this Chicago is a place where a lot of "hinky" stuff happens. Some of the oddities are a little strange, and it took me a bit to feel comfortable accepting what was going on. Jewel is also an oversexed, single gal with lots of issues. There were some fun scenes and some really raunchy ones. If you are easily offended, I don't r ...more
John
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read that kept up a steady pace while being punctuated with elements of humor, magic and subtle references to sex and sexual activities, but without the R and X rated descriptions. There were definitely a wide variety of characters in the book, all with their own uniquely individual life challenges. I understand the author, Jennifer Stevenson, has other books in her Hinky Chicago series, which I plan to add to my TBR pile. This is a voluntary review in exchange of a free copy of t ...more
Shawn
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Told in first person, our narrator refuses to even think about what hinky means to clarify the situation, so this book gets a bit confusing as you try to figure out what's going on. Also, hinky? As an official term? Really?

Then there's her boss having her tail his wife/her best friend. Who would honestly expect to get an honest report while sending his wife's best friend to spy on her?

The book was just hard to follow and illogical. I just have better things to read.
Rosemary Hughes
A con artist, a wife and a police officer who works for the wife's husband. Oh, and a bed that has a hidden secret.
In a town where magical situations are both a regular occurance and something that the authorities deny being of substance, our female police officer is caught in the "Hinky division", anything that is slightly less than orthodox.

Interesting tale, that's amusing in its creativity factor.
Eunice Robertson
Jewel is an investigator of magical occurrences in her city. When she investigates a sex therapist, Clay, being used by her friend, she comes across Randy who has been cursed to be an incubus until he finds "the one" who will free him from the spell. A paranormal, romantic comedy. (I voluntarily reviewed this free ebook.)
Linda
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, I never laughed so hard, and Randy is PRECIOUS! Poor Jewel Heiss, is caught up between her best friend and her boss who wanted her to trail his wife as he thought she was having an affair. Jewel is loyal to Nina and doesn't want her to end up divorced so see agrees to talk to her "sex therapist". Then the fun really begins! Chicago with smoking pigeons and PINK smog!
Molly
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Humorous romance fans,
Recommended to Molly by: Axpreaderland, instafreebie, Bookbub
A seriously funny, and somewhat supernatural, way to cope with relationship stress.

Is it a case for our favorite Fraud Detective, or something totally different?

A possessed antique, a captive, slutty Royal, and a host of friends try to figure things out without too large a display of magic- like a downtown parade.

A great way to have a really good laugh at life and love.
BostonTerrierLuv
I love how different this book was to anything I've ever read before. Not just the story itself but even the writing was something else entirely. I admit, it took a little bit to get used to but once I understood the flow of things this book got really good. This one has a mix of comedy, sexy times & a whole lotta "hinky" stuff happening. ;) Well worth the read for sure!
Melissa Basnight
The book was interesting in the beginning with the magical backdrop, but then it got strange and it was hard to follow the storyline. I like the funny romances with a touch of supernatural, but it fell short.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Haley's Cabin
  • Stranded with a Spy (Code Name: Danger #11)
  • Paradox
  • Snowbound
  • Single Witch's Survival Guide (Jane Madison, #4)
  • Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1)
  • Her Wiccan, Wiccan Ways (Rhiannon Godfrey, #1)
  • The Twelve Lies of Christmas (Sophie Green Mystery, #0.5)
  • The Marquis (Gypsy Legacy, #1)
  • 72 Hours (Devlin Group, #1)
  • Male Call  (Hot Zone #1)
  • Booth's Sister
  • The Huntress (The Hunters, Prequel)
  • DemonFire (DemonSlayers, #1)
  • Speed Dating
  • With Extreme Pleasure (Smithson Group Companion #4)
  • Love with the Perfect Scoundrel (Widows Club, #3)
  • Bound for the Holidays (Ties That Bind, #1)
I started swimming at 40, riding horses at 42, roller derby at 52, speed skating at 54 ... something's backward there. Read about my latest bruise at https://www.facebook.com/JenniferStev...

I've been writing since I was four, and didn't publish a story til I was 34 ... something's backward there too. Read about my latest books at http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php...

Living my life backwards mea

Hinky Chicago (5 books)
  • The Velvet Chair (Jewel Heiss #2)
  • The Bearskin Rug (Jewel Heiss #3)
  • The Hinky Genie Lamp (Hinky Chicago)
  • A Taste Of You