Start by marking “101 Stories of Changes, Choices and Growing Up for Kids ages 9-13 (Chicken Soup for the Preteen Soul)” as Want to Read:

From remembering their own life experience or to watching their own children grow, most people recognize that the preteen years, ages nine to thirteen, can be one of the most awkward times in life-a period of tremendous physical and emotional change. At this age, youngsters are eager to leave the "kid" stage, yet are uncertain about what adolescence will bring; they'd rath

Published October 12th 2000 by HCI (first published January 1st 2000)

Start your review of 101 Stories of Changes, Choices and Growing Up for Kids ages 9-13 (Chicken Soup for the Preteen Soul)
Britt
I may be 19, but this was a nostalgia trip and that doesn't mean I didn't still tear up during a handful of these stories.
I remembered a handful from when I first read this at, like, age 12, too.
Maxine
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book on my tenth birthday from one of my aunts, and it was the only book that I would voluntarily read back then since I wasn't too big on reading.

I read the stories which seemed interesting and enjoyed reading them. But just weeks before my 12th birthday my grandfather died. Months after, I remembered the book and read through the ones of death and dying. It helped me get through better, knowing that others have been through it but have learned from their experience.

I've laughed, c
cynthia ✨
Overall, this book was......ok. When Mr. Brett told me lots of the stories in here were sad, I expected tragic stories on deaths and losses but most of what I read were stories on divorces, cancer, crushes and first kisses. As cold and harsh as it sounds, none of the stories in this book were somewhat sad. Maybe it was because they were too short or because I didn't get to know the characters well enough, who knows.

Though, there was one that ALMOST made me feel a tinge of sadness. It was about a
Jenn
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE :)
Recommended to Jenn by: my wonderful mom
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! Omg i remember reading it. It was practically breath-taking. I dont kno why though :) just something about the stories and i had my share of laughs and tears with each story and case scenario. I definitely would like people to read it something about it just comforts besides the fact that you know that there are people who can relate to you or are worse off an have a better outlook on life than you. Definitely gets you all worked up and more in touch with your inner-self an ...more
mal-mal
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
so far my favorite story is the first one. it is a beautiful story about a bear that travels around the world. the other stories are just as amazing
AJtheDJ
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great for helping people (like me) with problems.
Violet
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
COUNT AS TWO BOOKS! This book contains a collection of stories from people who've struggled during their preteen years but have managed to survive. Through these stories current preteens and people who have passed them. Towards the end of each story the writer gives advice to preteens who are in the same situation or share what they've learned throgh their experiences.
I think that these are great stories and keept me hooked because so many of these stories I can relate with and laugh as I reca
Amira Hosang
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book ‘Chicken Soup for the Preteen Soul’ isn't by just one author, its by 101 authors and most of them are around my age, 8-16, but meant for kids 9-13. I love this book because it has so many different stories about different people and different perspectives. One of my favorite quotes is from ‘Eclectic Wisdom’ and the quote is, “ Sometimes it’s nice to be important, but it’s always important to be nice.” I love this quote because it is true. I always thought I had to be more important than ...more
Rebecca
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
If you don't enjoy cynical reviews, cease reading this now. The stories contained in this book (and other Chicken Soup books) are nice and are about life lessons, but it is my personal theory and belief that life lessons cannot be learned via reading them in a book; they must be lived. In a critical moment no one (or at least very few people) will think 'now what did I learn in the Chicken Soup books about times like these?'. The book is enjoyable but I wholly reject that the stories contained t ...more
Sophia
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
>.< even though i'm not a preteen anymore i really enjoy reading this book cause as i read this book it reminds of what i did when i was a preteen, hangouts,argue with parents, etc. I actually learned new things about preteen and i actually think my parents were a little over protected. But any way i think this is an awesome book. ...more
Corey
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Preteens age 9-12
Shelves: books-i-own
This was one of my favorite books as I went from 5th grade to 6th grade. It was so great that I remember it even now. It made me excited for middle school, as well as gave me fun exciting summer stories to keep me busy.
Menglong Youk
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it

I know this book is supposed to be for preteens who are around 9-13, but you know what, I also found some of the story inspirational and touching. If you want to give a birthday present to the people around those ages, this book is highly recommended.
Payton
Mar 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sage because she read half
Recommended to Payton by: mi familia
This book is cool. Its happy sad and everything inbetween. its about people who went through hard times or did cool stuff(sometimes motivating). You should read it
Cshellbell
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is a great book for anyone who is looking for a book that they wont get bored with. I think this book is jam packed with insightful stories you will read again and again.
Katie White
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book happy and sad stories but all around great to read
Julia
Dec 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preteens and teenagers
Recommended to Julia by: no one
What can I say? This book is for preteens and young teenagers. Amazing stories that will make you laugh, cry, and wonder.
Ellie
Dec 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
OMG I LUVVVVVV ALL OF THESE STORIES!!!!!!!!
Sara Johnston
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I read this at age eleven and it actually helped me....lol. I love the chicken soup books! Make more plz!
Shelby
Jan 23, 2009 is currently reading it
kind of sad cause most of the storys in the book is about death.
Luna
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i luv the chicken soup stories,very helpful...
Hima
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I like how all of thiese are real stories, but I don't like how they are categorized. I mean, I wouldn't awant to read ten or twenty death stories in a row!!!
Katherine
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mackayla
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome, I absolutely loved it. Reading the stories that these kids submitted about different things that happened in their lives made me emotional. Some of them were so intense I couldn't believe that they actually happened to them. I highly recommend reading this book not only because it is extremely interesting and fun to read but its inspiring to everyone who reads it.
This is the second time I've read this book and it still makes me cry. Even though I'm supposed to be too old to to be the target audience, I love it. I want to use it to teach life lessons to my middle schoolers. It's so much easier to learn through books than learn these kinds of life lessons through experience.
Sharadhi Sreedhar
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just loved the book...Some stories make us cry and some make us laugh..The stories are really good...and each problem has a solution is what we learn from every story..chicken soup for the preteen soul is one of my favourite books...
Jaspreet Grewal
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I only read stories that interested me and the ones I did read they were pretty good and had good lessons to go along for example "people will come and go in ur life" read this book for urself and be amazed.!
Fiona Dobrzynski
I’m in my 40s but still enjoyed this book. Would read it on my lunch break and tell the stories (well, what I could remember) to my daughters (9 and 8 years old) later on. They enjoyed hearing about them.
Elle
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I used to read this when I was a kid and then live in fear that all my loved ones were going to die if I didn't do so first.
Kaylee
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-fave
I loved the short stories
Ashley
Oct 26, 2019 added it
#34
Borrowed from the library.

FS: N/A
LS: N/A
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Reading responce #1 3 3 Dec 19, 2011 03:50PM
first entry 2 3 Dec 02, 2011 04:46AM

• Scary Stories for Kids - Short Horror Stories for Children: (Children's Books and Books for Kids)
  • The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary, How Greg Heffley Went Hollywood, The Story of all Three Movies
  • The Collector
  • Books for Kids:Adventures of Scouts Benjamin and Tracy: (Bedtime Stories For Kids Ages 3-10): Kids Books Bedtime Stories Children's Books Kids Adventure ... (Kids Adventure Series - Books for Kids)
  • The Three-Year Swim Club: The Untold Story of Maui's Sugar Ditch Kids and Their Quest for Olympic Glory
  • How to Read a Story: (Illustrated Children's Book, Picture Book for Kids, Read Aloud Kindergarten Books)
  • Kids Say the Darndest Things to Santa Claus: 25 Years of Santa Stories
  • Bible For Kids: Great Bible Stories For Kids
  • The Kid: (What Happened After My Boyfriend and I Decided to Go Get Pregnant) an Adoption Story
  • Books For Kids: The Lucky Puppy: Bedtime Stories For Kids Ages 3-8 (Kids Books - Bedtime Stories For Kids - Children's Books - Free Stories)
  • Crenshaw Chapter Sampler
  • The Mystery of the 99 Steps (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #43)
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul:  Random Acts of Kindness: 101 Stories of Compassion and Paying It Forward
  • Instant Family
  • Harry Pot Head and the Philosophers Stoned
  • What Cats Want: An Illustrated Guide for Truly Understanding Your Cat
  • Eva's Treetop Festival (Owl Diaries, #1)
  • Eva Sees a Ghost (Owl Diaries, #2)

Canfield received a BA in Chi