Start by marking “Unjournaling: Daily Writing Exercises That Are Not Personal, Not Introspective, Not Boring!” as Want to Read:

Intended for ages 12 and upwards, this exercise book contains more than 200 writing prompts that help students practice their writing skills without asking them to share personal thoughts they would rather keep to themselves. Useful as a classroom resource, it includes sample responses for all the exercises.
Published January 1st 2006 by Cottonwood Press (Fort Collins, CO)

To ask other readers questions about Unjournaling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unjournaling

Julie Ann
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a new 4th grade teacher, and have started using this in my classroom. After three days the students were begging to have more prompts from the book! They won't stop writing which is what every writing teacher wants! I love that the prompts are easily adaptable to a 4th grade level, but I could also see them working in older grades.
Emyrose8
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice challenges in this one... not so much story starters, more of a paragraph idea inspirer. 200 prompts, each numbered, and samples for each prompt in the back of the book.
Beth
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
While there were some worthwhile writing prompts in this book, I found many of them to be incredibly arbitrary and counterproductive. The point of journaling is to create a flow of language and get out all your thoughts about a particular topic. Instead, I found many of the journal topics in this book to halt thinking and cause you to put your pen down while you're trying to think of something to fit the incredibly narrow, random topic. For brain builders or time fillers, some of them would be O ...more
Ladystyx
May 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
While I enjoyed the 200 writing prompt Ideas. I was a little concerned and ultimately turned off by the Answer Keys. I am sure that to some these are a great reference and might be useful in helping a parent or teacher in what might be expected when using some of the ideas from the Book. I Feel that the whole Idea of using such an open ended writing Style in your program is that there are no "right" answers.

I feel this would be a book best for Teachers in a classroom setting or for a parent look
Dana Camp-farber
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I just started using this in my classroom with reluctant writers. They are loving it. I like the open-ended, no right answer aspects of the writing prompts. I won't even look at the key in the back because I love letting them feel that they can have the creative space to allow their brains to work.
Michelle Polk
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have never seen my children write so fast or be so estatic about a writing prompts book. The author of this book has the touch with my children! Great and unique writing prompts. I recommend this book to all who homeschool or teach writing.
Erika  Forth
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Some great prompts in here, but not enough. There are too many I wouldn't use, even as a substitute. Still, this would be very handy to whip out if there is no lesson plan. These prompts don't have to be used in just English class, I think you could find one that relates to any class you are in.
K.
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Using this this year to get kids to write. Not getting reams out of them, but they are really creative, interesting and usually funny prompts. We're all enjoying it.
CR
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm incredibly excited to use this in the classroom next year!
Anne
Jon
Jul 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Live Writing: Breathing Life into Your Words
  • The Writing Workshop: Working Through the Hard Parts (and They're All Hard Parts)
  • Writing Essentials: Raising Expectations and Results While Simplifying Teaching
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • The Plot Chickens
  • The Best Story
  • What Do Authors Do?
  • Inventing the Truth: The Art and Craft of Memoir
  • Painless Grammar
  • Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing
  • After "the End": Teaching and Learning Creative Revision
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • The Write-Brain Workbook
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3  Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • Amelia Writes Again (Amelia's Notebooks, #2)
  • The Reading Teacher's Book of Lists