Start by marking “Unjournaling: Daily Writing Exercises That Are Not Personal, Not Introspective, Not Boring!” as Want to Read:

Intended for ages 12 and upwards, this exercise book contains more than 200 writing prompts that help students practice their writing skills without asking them to share personal thoughts they would rather keep to themselves. Useful as a classroom resource, it includes sample responses for all the exercises.
Published January 1st 2006 by Cottonwood Press (Fort Collins, CO)

To ask other readers questions about Unjournaling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unjournaling

Start your review of Unjournaling: Daily Writing Exercises That Are Not Personal, Not Introspective, Not Boring!
Julie Ann
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a new 4th grade teacher, and have started using this in my classroom. After three days the students were begging to have more prompts from the book! They won't stop writing which is what every writing teacher wants! I love that the prompts are easily adaptable to a 4th grade level, but I could also see them working in older grades.
Roxanna López
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 starts. Just OK. Mostly for children.
emyrose8
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice challenges in this one... not so much story starters, more of a paragraph idea inspirer. 200 prompts, each numbered, and samples for each prompt in the back of the book.
Regan
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Ugh. This is the worst. I asked our librarian to choose several writing prompt books because there's a chance my summer Creative Writing course will make. As I don't know any truly good prompt books I just asked her to use her best judgment.

Apparently her best judgment on this one was dreadful. The prompts in this book are trite, immature, and not very useful for getting at meaningful writing or thinking. Also over half of the book is, I'm not even kidding, an "answer key" to show you the "right
Jeri Gustafson
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great writing prompts for Middle school and high school. They allow the students to write creatively
Beth
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
While there were some worthwhile writing prompts in this book, I found many of them to be incredibly arbitrary and counterproductive. The point of journaling is to create a flow of language and get out all your thoughts about a particular topic. Instead, I found many of the journal topics in this book to halt thinking and cause you to put your pen down while you're trying to think of something to fit the incredibly narrow, random topic. For brain builders or time fillers, some of them would be O ...more
Ladystyx
May 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
While I enjoyed the 200 writing prompt Ideas. I was a little concerned and ultimately turned off by the Answer Keys. I am sure that to some these are a great reference and might be useful in helping a parent or teacher in what might be expected when using some of the ideas from the Book. I Feel that the whole Idea of using such an open ended writing Style in your program is that there are no "right" answers.

I feel this would be a book best for Teachers in a classroom setting or for a parent look
Michelle
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have never seen my children write so fast or be so estatic about a writing prompts book. The author of this book has the touch with my children! Great and unique writing prompts. I recommend this book to all who homeschool or teach writing.
Erika  Forth
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Some great prompts in here, but not enough. There are too many I wouldn't use, even as a substitute. Still, this would be very handy to whip out if there is no lesson plan. These prompts don't have to be used in just English class, I think you could find one that relates to any class you are in.
K.
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Using this this year to get kids to write. Not getting reams out of them, but they are really creative, interesting and usually funny prompts. We're all enjoying it.
CR
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm incredibly excited to use this in the classroom next year!
Anne
Dec 09, 2014
Ellen
Jul 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
  • An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)
  • Plum Island (John Corey, #1)
  • The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1)
  • A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
  • Love Is a Mix Tape
  • Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories (Miss Marple)
  • And Then There Were Four
  • The Feathered Heart (Native American Series (Michigan State University Press))
  • Writers Book of Matches: 1,001 Prompts to Ignite Your Fiction
  • American Short Story Masterpieces: A Rich Selection of Recent Fiction from America's Best Modern Writers
  • To This Day: For the Bullied and Beautiful
  • Open Season (Joe Pickett, #1)
  • Stickboy