Start by marking “Afterward” as Want to Read:
Afterward

Afterward

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  332 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Edith Wharton (1862-1937), born Edith Newbold Jones, was an American novelist, short story writer, and designer. She combined her insider's view of America's privileged classes with a brilliant, natural wit to write humourous and incisive novels and short stories.

Wharton was well-acquainted with many of her era's literary and public figures, including Henry James and Theo
Published May 16th 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1910)

To ask other readers questions about Afterward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afterward

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Edith Wharton fans?
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Classic Horror Lovers Tales to Chill Your Blood series read
I read this as part of the Classic Horror Lovers group, Tales to Chill Your Blood series that we started in October. A member reminded me that it was available in the Tales of Men and Ghosts collection, which is free on Kindle, so I was jazzed.

Overall, it didn't catch my interest. I found my attention wandering and boredom setting in as I read it. I think it was probably a situation where the writing style didn't work for me. Wharton seems to have a sort of elaborate, flowery style, and I usuall
piperitapitta
Alla luce del sole.

Un racconto breve, lineare, limpido, oserei definirlo trasparente, quello composto da Edith Wharton, la storia di una coppia di giovani sposi nordamericani che si trasferisce in una casa nel Dorsetshire in Inghilterra, forse infestata dai fantasmi.
In fondo è quello che forse si augurano entrambi, così desiderosi dopo aver accumulato un sostanzioso patrimonio di ritirarsi in campagna e godere della tranquillità delle loro passioni, libri pittura e giardinaggio, e della compagni
Cynthia
Not her best short story so don't be put off if this is one of the first of hers you've read.
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All five stars, for this is a chilling, truly disturbing story, made all the more plausible and haunting by the impeccable prose in which it is delivered. Wharton here outdoes James, in terms of the painful sense of suspense and creeping dread which plays on the terror of any reader who has feared the sudden and unexplained loss of a loved one -- particularly of a beloved spouse. If I had a nightmare of losing my dear husband, this would be it.

At times, Wharton even attains the poetic, such as i
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hannah
Recommended to Laura by: Wanda
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

Opening lines:
"Oh, there IS one, of course, but you'll never know it."
The assertion, laughingly flung out six months earlier in a bright June garden, came back to Mary Boyne with a sharp perception of its latent significance as she stood, in the December dusk, waiting for the lamps to be brought into the library.
Canavan
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
✭✭✭✭
Colleen
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
"Afterward" is a little Victorian for me, but it's a nice, tight little ghost story. I enjoyed it quite a lot, and wonder why it hasn't been made into an episode of The X-Files or The Twilight Zone or something similar. Much of the writing describes clothing, furnishings, atmosphere, rooms...all of which could be reduced to about 5 seconds of screen time, really. It'd make a fine little chiller on the SyFy channel or something, or one of those HBO "aren't we creepy" series.

For reasons left unex
Ken
Oct 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I made what is probably the fifth false start on this one. I've tried reading it several times over the last few months. I just can't finish the thing. It starts out with a great premise, a newly rich couple is looking to get back to basics in the English countryside. They want a house with all of the INconveniences including a ghost. They find what they want though the ghost is just a bit passive for their taste. Then the story ... starts... to... drag... and... drag.

I just can't finish it, but
Asha Seth
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror-readers
Mary and Ned Boyne have fled their dreary life in Wisconsin for a home in rustic Dorsetshire. But you can only run so far, and some things – some secret things – may follow you. A creepy and tragic ghost story from one of the masters. (Credit: Librivox)

Nice cozy little short story.
Engrossing reading on the audio-read and so is the story.

You wont know until AFTERWARD. So please read it.
Carl
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A ghost story by Edith Wharton. Really a novella. Ethics of a business deal that is legal, but just barely. Interesting that that conflict was going full bore in Wharton's time. This is certainly worth the time it takes to read, especially if you have a strong urge to read Wharton but aren't up to a longer novel. She's always good.
A decent ghost story. Not particularly shocking. Personally, I prefer Wharton's novels to her short fiction. "Afterward" is a well written story, but...I dunno. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood when I read this.

The writing is superb, nonetheless. Definitely worth a read.
LaLaLa Laura
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the irony of it all. they wanted a ghost if their very own at their new home. almost like a pet. yet it was they who brought the ghost with them.
Hermien
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Classic ghost story, a bit like The Turn of the Screw but a lot more comprehensible.
Bonita Martin
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was creepy...but only afterward!
Hilary Scroggie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Ghost stories for Christmas are now a firm tradition in my house, and this one was excellent.
Realini
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theater
Afterward by Edith Wharton
Good entertainment

Another version of this note and thoughts on other books are available at

- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

This is not on the same level with the three masterpieces by the distinguished author:

- The Age of Innocence, Ethan Fromme and House Mirth
- The above have been included on the lists of best novels, as compiled by The Modern Library and others
- http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/...

Mary and Ned Boyne are the main characters in this narr
Rick West
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Afterward is a short story by Edith Wharton. It was first published in the 1910 edition of The Century Magazine and in her books, The Collected Short Stories of Edith Wharton and Tales of Men and Ghosts, 1910

This is a great story about a young American couple, Ned and Mary, who buys a fixer-upper home. They are looking for an old place that they can make their own. They also want a house with a ghost. The house they buy displays no ghost. They are told that it may have a ghost, but people don't
Janice
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Enjoyed this. Classic, old-fashioned ghost story – in other words, no poltergeist menace. This was just a settling into dread and fear.

Innocent American couple who have recently become comfortable due to a good investment decide they need to live in a true English manor with all the lack of comfort and amenities they imagine being true England. They even hope for a ghost. They plan to pursue their hobbies. For her, gardening; and for him, writing a book.

The menace descends so slowly neither not
Thom Swennes
This relatively short story has all the elements and attributes of a Stephen King best seller. Mary and Ned Boyne have finally succeeded to the life of leisure they have always wanted. Money affords them all they want, including a large (if not new) house. When life can’t possibly be better, a stranger appears to change it all. Mary discovers secretes she had never suspected. This is a highly disturbing tale that could keep you awake at night. Afterward was first published in 1910 and must have ...more
Maggie Gordon
Biblioasis and Seth are bringing back the Victorian Christmas ghost story! It was a common tradition across much of the western world to read a spooky ghost story during the Christmas holidays, and these tiny, illustrated versions of classic horror stories are meant to help reignite this tradition.

Afterward starts out with a lot of levity, but quickly descends into eeriness, with readers knowing that something bad is about to occur, but no hope of knowing what it is. My only complaint was that
Bob
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The idea behind the story has much more promise than Ms. Wharton discovers. I found chapter 3 to make much of depicting Mrs. Boyle as remarkably dull. As for the "surprise" discovery at the end, it is described but not explained, nor is there any speculation about how such a phenomenon could resolve the vague tension indicated. Far more words than necessary are used to describe the settings; furniture, architecture, gardens, and weather are described in great detail which does nothing to contrib ...more
Thabata
Nov 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
“Afterward” has a different twist in the approach of supernatural manifestation. The full knowledge of a ghost will only be obtained once it has already gone out of sight. One will not know when it is there, but will perceive what truly was only afterwards. This omen should have been listened to by the main character with much more care and attention – the same goes to the reader. Although the title and premises are worth praise, the development failed to build any form of excitement, which coul ...more
Dione Basseri
The house has a ghost, but you won't know it until later. Those were the words given to the new owners of a seemingly ideal little manor. Husband and wife are entirely eager to see this ghost, but fail to find any evidence. Until a stranger comes calling and old business threatens their livelihood.

I was entirely expecting more of a twist, here. Instead, the ghost winds up being exactly whom you suspect, which is, honestly, so often not the case with a mystery. I actually feel a bit foolish.

Avail
Kevin Studer
The supernatural element was interesting, and Wharton is a masterful writer. However, the plausibility of the story rests on the gullibility and weak-mindedness of the female protagonist. She must be lost in her adoration for her husband, unable to recall basic plot points to resolve her disquietude, and be in an almost constant state of panic and "I'm just a woman"-ness to allow the story to develop.
Vivian
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Predictable. I suppose that the true mistery is all about how this short story ends.
I have a question, indeed: where are they now?
Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe it is not. But I think that Wharthon may play well because she might know that after reading "After" the only reader's desire would have been that of getting the mysterious answer of my question above.
Teresa
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable, old style "ghost story". Unlike ghost stories of today, not a lot happens, but I feel in a way it's more realistic. While not the most dramatic ghost story, the female protagonist's frank and honest voice, and the beautifully reflective phrasing and pace, really make it an enjoyable read.
Leah Markum
The rambles and seems disjointed for the most part, but somehow I had enough curiosity to get through it. By the time I got to the end I had an aha! moment, but I'm also still confused like maybe the story was meant to be vaguely conclusive but still largely keep you wondering. I appreciate that it had supernatural elements and wasn't just about paranoid people.
Beatrice Gormley
In fact, I never started this book. This entry appeared accidentally when I was posting Afterwards, by Rosamond Lupton, and I couldn't get rid of it.
However, I've liked everything I've read by Edith Wharton, so I'm cautiously giving this 3 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Classic Horror Lo...: Afterward by Edith Wharton *Spoilers* 32 37 Dec 07, 2013 02:56PM
  • The Judge's House
  • Mrs. Zant and the Ghost
  • Axolotl
  • The Flood
  • A Dog's Tale
  • Maria: or, The Wrongs of Woman
  • They
  • The Room in the Tower (PENG)
  • Crossing the Mangrove
  • Babylon Revisited
  • The Library Window
  • The Blue Hotel
  • Jailed for Freedom: American Women Win the Vote
  • Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases
  • The Decadent Reader: Fiction, Fantasy, and Perversion from Fin-de-Siècle France
  • The Altar of the Dead
  • The Enormous Radio
  • Mr. Harrison's Confessions
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a ...more
More about Edith Wharton...