Start by marking “I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)” as Want to Read:
I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)

I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  422 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
If Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird are going to make it to their costume party, they simply must learn to agree! A bright and cheerful picture book about friendship and compromise.Hugo Hippo has a best bird. Bella Bird has a best hippo. They make a perfect pair, and they are going to the Fairy Tale Dress-Up party together, of course: Hugo will be the princess, and Bella will be ...more
Hardcover, First U.S. Edition, 32 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I Don't Want to Be a Pea!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Don't Want to Be a Pea!

karen
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing

awww, because why wouldn't the hippo and the little bird living on his head be best friends and go to parties together and get into fights about what costumes to wear? it makes me happy to think of it occurring out there in nature.

because bella (the bird, not the teenage necrophiliac) does not want to be the pea to hugo's princess. and who can blame her? a pea is a totally boring costume. it is a round green ball. it could be mistaken for a boog. and no one wants to go to the "bird-hippo fairy-
D.M.
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comical. I don't want to be the pea! Fancy dress party for two peas in a pod but what shall we go as?
This is the first Hugo and Bella book I've read and I really enjoyed it.
Hugo wants to go to the fancy dress party as Princess and the Pea but no one wants to be the pea!
Melissa
I literally said, "Aw!" at the sweet happy ending...two peas in a pod. :) There's also a subtle change of perspective by the end of the book; at the beginning, they introduce each other as "Bella is my bird" and "Hugo is my hippo," but at the end, at the party, they say, "I am Bella's hippo," and "I am Hugo's bird."

Love how all their costume ideas play off their differences in size. I also like the "crisis" page, where instead of showing them angry, the agitation is implied in the orangey footp
Crissy
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 ⭐'s because I love the compromise in the end. ...more
Asho
My three-year-old requested this only once during the time we had it checked out from the library. I pretty much agree with his assessment. It's cute (I enjoy the illustrations), but I felt like the text was too wordy.
Ariana
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hugo is Bella’s hippo and Bella is Hugo’s bird, and they are going to the Fairytale Dress Party. However, they cannot agree on what to dress like. Hippo wants to be the princess, but Bella doesn’t want to be a pea. She wants to be a mermaid and Hugo can be her rock, but Hugo doesn’t want to be a rock. They fight, but eventually agree to be two peas in a pod. The illustrations are in mixed media with the characters having babyish proportions. Both characters are in almost every page, except in th ...more
Tam
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Rachel
I'm not sure if this was the intention, but the first thing I thought about this book when I read it is that it reminds me a lot of Elephant and Piggie books, except wordier. Hugo the Hippo and Bella the bird are going to attend the Hippo-Bird Fairy-Tale Fancy Dress Party and can't decide what costume to wear. Originally they were going as the Princess and Pea, but Bella decided she didn't want to be the Pea and then a huge argument broke out and they leave mad. But then both decide it is not wo ...more
Walida
This picture book is a sweet & silly story of best friends (hippo and his bird... Or is it a bird and his hippo ☺). The book is a excellent example of friendship and compromise. I enjoyed how all their costume ideas play off their differences in size. I also like the "crisis" page, where instead of showing them angry, the agitation is implied in the orangey footprints all over the pages.

The moral of the tale is that sometimes we do things we don't really want to do because we love our frien
Tanu Shree
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Heather
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I feel like this picture book of best friends (Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird) is trying to be a little too much like Elephant & Piggie. But that's OK because this is still a sweet & silly story of friendship and compromise as the duo decide what costumes to wear to the Hippo-Bird Fancy Dress Party. This is a perfect story-time read-aloud for 1 person who can do 2 voices well, or for 2 readers to read co-operatively.
Lisa Fabiano
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it
A charming story about the give and take of friendship. Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird are going to the Hippo-Bird (or is it Bird-Hippo) Fairy-Tale Fancy Dress Party together but they can't decide who will be the princess and who will be the pea or who will be the mermaid and who will be the rock or...they just can't agree. The humorous back and forth will induce giggles and the colorful illustrations will delight young readers.
Maria
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hugo Hippo and Bella bird are trying to decide on a costume for the Fairy-Tale Fancy Dress Party. They cannot agree, while Hugo wants to be a princess, Bella does not want to be a pea, and so on until they are so mad at each other they decide not to go to the party together. In the end, friendship wins out and they both go to the party.

I don't always love digital illustrations, but they worked very well for Hugo and Bella's story. I can see this being a great book for a story time.
Katie
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, storytime
A cute story about a bird an a hippo, both with strong opinions they are not afraid to voice. They have an argument over their costume for the party, but it all works out in the end. The narrative is dialog between the two characters, and It think it would be wonderful read or acted out between two people.
Elisabeth
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
British version of Elephant and Piggie maybe? A couple of good laughs but did not have the "perfect ending" that Willems is a master of. Still enjoyable and would work for a friendship, green things or party storytime.
Paula
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Two friends, Hugo a hippo, and Bella, a bird, are invited to a fancy party. They end up fighting about what to wear to the party, but eventually are able to work out their differences. How they work out the conflict is both colorful and creative. A unique book!
Shelli
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute simple story of a hippo and his bird... Or is it a bird and his hippo?. This symbiotic couple does not always agree and might miss out on good times unless they can patch things up in time for the big party.
Sandi
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very cute picture book with great read-aloud potential. For those who like books about friendship, hippos, birds or peas, this book where Hippo and Birdie are trying to find the perfect costumes for their party is sure to please! :)
Library Quine

A quirky tale about 2 friends who cannot decide what will they wear for a fancy dress party. Despite their disagreement friendship wins out. May be a little difficult for younger children to follow and understand, but a fun read with simple yet amusing pictures.
Silence
Audience: Preschool / Grade School
Illustrations: Bright and cheery
Plot / Review: Friends don't always get along, but they do try to make it right in the end! This is a great pick for teaching compromise.
Read Aloud: Yes
sweet pea
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: les-enfants
despite it's inflammatory title, the characters come to the logical conclusion that - obviously - they want to be a pea. cute. hippos. costumes. cross dressing. parties. and, most importantly, sweet peas
Brandy
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
A cute and funny story of a hippo and a bird who are going to a party. Neither can decide on a couple costume and decide to go their seperate ways. A happy ending for all when these friends realize that their friendship & compramise is more imporatant than staying mad at each other.
Adam
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Quite a charming little picture book.
Janna
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute friendship story. I love all the different dress-up ideas the hippo and bird have together. Would be great for a storytime about friendship, animals, or even Halloween because of the costumes.
Joenna
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird are best friends, but a disagreement over costumes may prevent the two from attending the annual "Fairytale Fancy Dress Party."

Too cute! Great preschool storytime read.
Kelsey Bates
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_book
Story of compromising for a friend.
Kristen
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
A solid story about friendship. I really liked the different costumes they dressed up as, and I liked the bright illustration style.
Steph
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My kind of book. =) I'd TOTALLY go as a pea for my friends.
Emily
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
My new favorite children's book. "But you ARE gray and blobby..." Read it.
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 17 1 1 Nov 14, 2012 09:39AM
  • C. R. Mudgeon
  • Oh! What a Surprise!
  • Crafty Chloe
  • Red Cat, Blue Cat
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Otto the Book Bear