Start by marking “I'll Save You Bobo!” as Want to Read:
I'll Save You Bobo!

I'll Save You Bobo! (Bobo the Sock Monkey)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  408 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews

The irresistible stars of I Must Have Bobo! return in another everyday adventure in domestic disharmony!Willy wants to write a storybook starring Bobo—and act out revenge fantasies on Earl—but Earl keeps wrecking the story (hence the desire to act out revenge fantasies!). Quit it, Earl…and stop stealing Bobo!

But sometimes it only takes a small thing to realize that even sw

Published April 3rd 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I'll Save You Bobo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Save You Bobo!

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2012
Willy decides to write an adventure story about himself and Bobo. Earl the cat decides to have a part in all of this. Fun twist at end. Couple of times had mixed feelings about Willy's reactions to Earl.
Miranda Mistletoe
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, childrens
The kid is a brat. And someone please buy Earl his own Bobo.
Mark
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An amusing follow-up to I Must Have Bobo! The Bobo books are all about attitude and Earl. Earl is the cat in the story, and he just wants Bobo to himself for a while. Meanwhile, Willy, the boy in the story, is trying to enjoy an afternoon, reading and imagining with his stuffed pet monkey, Bobo. Earl's continued pursuit of Bobo creates a underlying tension that propels the reader through the story, and the reader ends up empathizing with Earl. I did anyway.

My son is six, and he loves the Bobo b
Bethe
Apr 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Didn't care for this one at all, maybe if I had read the first book? I felt sorry for Earl the cat, and I am a dog person.
Alyssa M.
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The book "I'll Save You Bobo" written by Eileen and Marc Rosenthal centers around Willy, Earl the cat, and Bobo the stuffed monkey. Willy is reading a story, but Earl keeps interrupting him, so he decides to write his own. Willy writes about all the adventures that him and Bobo are going to have, but Earl still keeps bothering him.
The illustration for this book helped to emphasize what was going on in the text which I thought was important for kids who would read this book.
Overall, I am not su
Relatable and fun but not outstanding.
Rae Borman
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bobo was requested for storytime every night we had this book home from the library and several times over breakfast. Winner!
Melissa
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Everything comes together so deftly! The way Willy narrates his story and acts out parts (the tent, the tiger's big teeth) at the same time he is telling the story in the drawings, and in addition to the acting-out layer and the drawing-on-paper layer and the us-reading-about-it layer, there's the what-Earl-is-doing layer, which often mimics what's going on in Will's story-within-a-story.

I have to admit I laughed out loud at the page where the snake EATS EARL ALIVE. Willy does not love Earl, th
Hannah Melberg
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
The plot of the story is about Willy trying to escape the cat Earl so he can write a story about just himself and BOBO without being disrupted repeatedly. The presentation of information was great and easy to read. It showed a lot of excitement through the text. I really liked the different font sizes showing when to raise your voice when reading to get the emotion across. The story is told from the main characters Willy's view, on writing his own story about just himself and his stuffed animal ...more
Jameisha
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked this book because it was cute and funny book about a little boy writing his own book. I think I'll Save You Bobo is worthy of a Caldecott Medal because it provides a visual experience of Willy's story-making process from a child's perspective with simple illustrations that aren’t over the top, but use just enough color and detail to go with the story and its character. I like the fact that you see Willy coloring, but then you see the "scary adventure" he's creating that looks like he dr ...more
Andrea Paterson
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
One of my favourite kids books that we've stumbled upon at the library. I think I love it mostly because it so closely describes my own son. The little boy in this book makes up an adventure story about himself and his stuffed monkey, Bobo while battling the annoying interruptions of his pet cat. The monkey in this book is almost exactly like my son's own stuffed monkey (also named Bobo). In addition to the parallels to my son this is just a wonderful, imaginative, innocent and lovely book. The ...more
Diane
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it
After reading and enjoying, I Must Have Bobo, I was anxious to take a peek at the Rosenthal's latest book, I'll Save You Bobo.

In this book, Willy is a little boy who is having a hard time reading a book about dinosaurs to his pal Bobo -- his cat Earl keeps disturbing him. Willy is disappointed in the book so he tells Bobo that they should write their own book about Bobo having his own scary adventure in the jungle. Once they begin their own story the adventures begin, but not without Earl the ca
Tasha
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Willy and Bobo return for their second book, following I Must Have Bobo! Willy is trying to read a book with Bobo, his stuffed monkey, but Earl the cat keeps trying to steal Bobo away. The rivalry established in the first book continues here as Willy starts to write his own story instead of reading one. It is all about him and Bobo at first, with them in the jungle with plenty of snakes and living in a tent. But again, Earl keeps on sneaking in and trying to take Bobo away. So Willy adds Earl to ...more
Kristen Wilson
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
I thought this book would make a great read alond to a class because the story was about a little boy that made up his own story about saving his monkey but his cat ruined the story just about the time Willy was going to save his monkey. This book was funny and for a read aloud the whole class would enjoy. The picture were very detailed and the way the illustrator drew willy expressions you can tell he was very angry with his cat. I also gave it a thought about how i could use this story with a ...more
Asho
Our latest library book bundle is "Books About Kitty Cats," and this was one of the books in the bundle. I have to say, I didn't really enjoy this one. It appears to be a sequel, so maybe I'd feel differently if I'd met the characters in the first book. From just reading this, though, it appears that the young boy is mean-spirited in his dealings with the cat. Although the illustrations are amusing, there's not much plot to speak of, and no good lesson to wrap things up. The one redeeming featur ...more
Jessica
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Half the fun of reading I'll Save You Bobo! aloud is saying the name "Bobo" repeatedly. I'm not sure why, it just tickles my fancy. This is a simple book about a little boy drawing a story about him and his stuffed monkey, Bobo. However, his cat, Earl keeps butting in and wrecking the story and play. The art reminds me of a Sunday morning newspaper comic strip, and the little boy looks a lot like a younger Tintin.

Ages 3-5
Rhonda
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
By: Eileen Rosenthal ; illustrated by Marc Rosenthal.
A creative little boy takes story-telling to a new level. Willy and his best friend, Bobo, which is a stuffed monkey, go on their own little adventure through Willy’s own creation—a fierce jungle. But, his cat Earl just keeps getting in the way. I love this story because it captures the small crisis in a child’s life. Willy takes the story so seriously, but Earl is constantly distracting him. There are a few little twists that made me laugh an
Traci Bold
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'I'LL SAVE YOU BOBO!' tells the story of a young boy who really wants to write a book starring his best friend Bobo. But his cat, Earl keeps undoing every part of the book that the young boy has done.

The boy gets back at Earl in his book but something is amiss here. Can you put your finger on it?

Funny, clever and delves into your inner psyche as a kid.

Wonderful!

Written by Eileen Rosenthal, illustrated by Marc Rosenthal and published by Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Elisabeth
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was so happy to learn there is a new Bobo book and even happier to know that it doesn't disappoint! So, much to love: Willy's imagination, Earl being a total cat, the realistic dynamic between Willy and Earl (the clever way the story Willy is telling is sometimes acted out in real life by Earl), the hilarious pictures of Willy's tiger and Willy showing off their big teeth, and of course Earl and Bobo.
Judith
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another meta picture book. Willy is dissatisfied with the book he's reading -not enough carnage. He and Bobo the sock monkey decide to write their own. Willy's illustrations are childish, but thought bubbles reveal the 'real' jungle scenes- the pesky family cat becomes a tiger. The plot of the book, the story Willy draws and the tale that he imagines converge neatly. The illustrations and font are reminiscent of comic books, which reinforces the boy-writes-own-book motif.
Heidi-Marie
Not as great as the first Bobo book, but still enjoyable. Not sure how to fit this into any theme for my storytime, and I'm not sure it would keep their attention as much as the first did. Probably best in a lap-read and read-alone. Kids will still get the fun it is to write/draw one's own story. And probably laugh about the snake part.
Nikki Smith
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Layers of funny, emphasizing imagination and love of a stuffed toy. For those saying that Willy is too angry at Earl, I say, live with a cat. Cats are delightful one moment and annoying as hell the next. Wiley's reactions to Earl seem normal for a kiddo who is still learning about managing emotions and expectations of the world around him.
Matthew
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'll admit, I feel bad for the cat in these books. The kid is so possessive of his sock monkey and the cat, who probably doesn't understand the kid's feelings, is continually admonished for trying to get some quality time with the monkey too. The kid makes the cat out as a villain, but the cat is just doing the same thing as the kid in his own way. Still, it's a cute book.
TJ
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
While shopping for kids Christmas gifts at the book store I came across the BoBo books. I read them to see if I wanted to purchase them. The books are well illustrated and they are cute reads, but nothing special. I decided not to buy the books, even though I love sock monkeys because I felt they wouldn't be able to hold a child's attention.
John Hostetter
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A cute story that is definitely a must read for out loud story time! The author gives different font sizes to indicate different voices, and students would love to hear them read aloud with the excitement the book intends. The characters were very fun and overall it was just a fun and original story!
Brandy
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the second BoBo Book - BoBo is a little toy Monkey. In this story the Willy begins reading a book to BoBo and decides it is no good. Willy writes his own adventure so he can save BoBo - as usual Earl, the cat, decides to join in on the fun too.

A great book for little readers.
Jodie
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
A boy and his stuffed monkey are reading a book and it's not as exciting as it could be so the boy decides to write his own story. During this time Earl, the cat, is constantly getting in the way. Very cute story with fun pictures.
The Library Lady
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
My sympathy lies with Earl, truth to tell, who just wants to hang out with Bobo. Our late lamented tomcat Bart had such a relationship with my daughter's sock monkey Fred, and Fred misses their hanging out together.
Margie
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-these-books
Eileen and Marc Rosenthal continue the tale of struggle between Willy, his sock monkey, Bobo and the family cat, Earl replete with humor and oh-so-typical childlike narration.
See my full review at: http://bit.ly/HUVegT
Sally
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysotnfaves
Super cute! Willy is trying to read to his stuffed monkey Bobo but Earl the cat keeps getting in the way. Willy finds the book boring and decides to write his own, but Earl keeps messing things up. I think kids will really identify with Willy - whether the distraction is a pet or a sibling!
  • Chloe
  • A Home for Bird
  • Dog Loves Drawing
  • Nighttime Ninja
  • I'm Fast!
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)

Bobo the Sock Monkey (3 books)
  • I Must Have Bobo!