Start by marking “Mega Man 1: Let the Games Begin” as Want to Read:
Mega Man 1: Let the Games Begin

Mega Man 1: Let the Games Begin (Mega Man (Archie) #1)

"Mega Man" is the hit new action-adventure series from Archie Comics!
Dr. Light wanted to build a better tomorrow with his new Robot Masters, but the evil Dr. Wily reprogrammed them to take over the world! Now it's up to one little robot to save us all -- Mega Man!
Don't miss the first heroic adventures of Rock, a simple helper robot who takes up the fight for the greater
Published September 27th 2011 by Archie Comic Publications, Incorporated (first published May 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mega Man 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mega Man 1

Jeremy
May 17, 2014 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only is this series awesome, but the writer worked in lyrics from a Megas song. I love it! I had doubts about it since it's a comic written about a game series and and I'd never read any comics from Archie. As you can tell from my opening statement, I was pleasantly surprised. Great art, fun writing, it's fantastic.
Morgan
Jan 24, 2014 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I'm going to first start this review saying that lately I have been obsessed with revisiting my past. I'm a kid who grew up in the 90s, one of the best decades ever to grow up. It had its toys, games, Disney movies, and mostly its cartoons. One cartoon I vaguely remember watching is Mega Man. Now I'll be honest and say that I have never played a Mega Man title in my life. However, with the Marvel vs. Capcom games Mega Man is always my top player I choose. Something about the guy makes me like hi ...more
Steven Matview
Jan 08, 2015 Steven Matview rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This series is fantastic, and that’s coming from a huge fan of the Mega Man games.
mega-me

Fellow MM enthusiasts will be all too familiar with the plot. Dr. Light is a brilliant scientist (and Santa lookalike) who creates a series of robots called “Robot Masters” to perform menial tasks and make society better. Bomb Man, for examples, was created for demolition and land development, Elec Man to control the voltage of nuclear power plants and so on.

Light also creates two child-like robots- Rock and Roll
Kate
Oct 03, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm inclined to be pretty forgiving of the by-the-numbers character development in this volume--which is my primary complaint against it--since 1) limited page count in comics means limited space to work with, 2) kids' comic, and 3) Flynn's work on Sonic has convinced me that if you hang in there, you'll be richly rewarded.

The art and plotting/blocking did a really good job of mimicking video game structure, which was very cool. And Spaziante's art is wonderful--he has a real talent for conveyin
Justyn Rampa
Sep 08, 2011 Justyn Rampa rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic! Truly and utterly fantastic!

I actually just e-mailed the creators (Ian Flynn (writer) and Patrick Spaziante (artist)) and told them what an incredible job they did.

Over the past day or so, I have been waxing nostalgic playing Zelda on my 3DS, revisiting from favorite comic book store as a child, and basically regressing emotionally to a less stressful time in my life.

I found myself in a comic book store to get the first set of DC #1s in the big 52 reboot. While there I noti
Michael Darrow
Jul 05, 2015 Michael Darrow rated it it was amazing

Archie Comics' "Mega Man: Let The Games Begin" is a trade paperback that collects the issues of the first story arc of the company's comic book adaptation of video game publisher/developer Capcom's "Mega Man" franchise.

To get straight to the point, the "Let The Games Begin" story arc is faithful to the roots of the series by fleshing out the storyline of pure-of-heart lab assistant robot known as Rock volunteering to be upgraded into a combat robot to thwart the megalomaniac machinations of the
Michelle Jacobs
Nov 23, 2013 Michelle Jacobs marked it as t-l-544
Dr. Light has created robots to better the world, but the evil Dr. Wily turns things for the worse when he reprograms them to take over the world. Mega Man is the heroic figure who fights back and takes on Dr. Wily to save the day.
This is a fictional comic book. The story has a simple and predictable good vs. evil plotline, with plenty of action and spunk for the comic enthusiast. It contains a main character that is now also popular in video games and may be well liked by the gamer crowd.
M Strawberry Reviews
Having been a Mega Man fan for nearly 20 years, I was thrilled with this new comic. If you've read or own the manga Megaman Megamix, rest assured, this comic collection is NOT a copy of that. Yes. this book follows the events of the first game, but the storytelling and art are different than what you find in Megamix, including some smaller details, so if you're a Megaman fan, you will definitely want this for your collection. The artwork is also very nice, and there's some nice bonus features in ...more
Drew Perron
Jul 19, 2014 Drew Perron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing how much adventure Ian Flynn manages to pack into four issues. This collection covers the entire first game, plus the basic setup for the series. Indeed, the only reason it didn't get the fifth star is that it occasionally feels too fast - there's a bunch of moments that could stand to be lingered on. Still, Flynn is excellent at "getting to the good part", and navigating the waters between what makes a video game fun and what makes a comic book fun. The art, as always with Pat Spaz ...more
Eric
Jan 16, 2012 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Simply amazing...

I'm nostalgic almost as a rule (who doesn't like revisiting their childhood on occasion) so when I saw this, first the comic then the collection of the first four issues, I nearly exploded with joy.

Mega Man has been brought back to life and not the Mega Man we've been forced to endure in recent years, but classic Mega Man and old school villains. The story brings back memories of the old cartoon show and the original game and I admit, I read through it more than a few times.

Defi
Nathan
May 08, 2016 Nathan added it
Amusing overview of the 1987 video game. Added a narrative expounding on the two sheets of story in the instruction booklet included with the NES cartridge. Additional interactions keep it interesting for new readers, while attention to the game's details, gameplay quarks (that all-important magnet beam) and optimal/suggested boss order are included, capturing the nostalgia for adults familiar with the source material.
sixthreezy
Aug 22, 2012 sixthreezy rated it liked it
Cute, charming, but relatively cookie-cutter. Very basic plot and art. This is a children's comic, however, so I don't necessarily say it's bad. Just not the most outrageous and beautifully crafted graphic novel I've ever seen. Lol, also always saw Mega Man as a much more MEGA thing, but this makes it seem like Astro Boy or something. Must have had the wrong ideas...
Andrew
May 21, 2013 Andrew rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
An interesting intro to a new generation of Megaman comics. Ian Flynn's new take on the universe will surely delight younger fans of this wonderful Nintendo game, but older fans should be forewarned that it may not be as exciting as the gaming days of yore. Worth a read for Megaman fans, but so far nothing to be overly amazed with.
P.
Feb 24, 2012 P. rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, jfic
I'm not the target age or audience for this. I would happily recommend it to that age and audience. NOT AS GOOD AS POKEMON. (Very moral-oriented/repetitive and not as imaginative. Also, one of the robots to help the world was called CUT MAN and he was assigned to forestry--I'm sensing a conflict of interest.)
Shifan
Mar 14, 2012 Shifan rated it it was amazing
I read the preview of the Megaman 1st book on the Archie iOS app & to tell you, i was very amazed in the work Ian Flynn put together. I also liked the series of Mega Man games & I really loved it. I'm hoping I'd get #10 of the series.
Zaen
Aug 31, 2016 Zaen rated it really liked it
It's a nice comic by Archie. It follows Mega Man's origins although mega man seems a bit too light hearted than in the game. Sparing robots but in the game he goes in and destroys them. Other than that this book is good.
David
Dec 28, 2015 David rated it really liked it
Really lighthearted good fun^^ the story is childishly simple but given the source material it really actually adds a lot of depth and complexity. Would love to see these guys tackle the X storyline (and maybe even give it a proper conclusion!)
Ilib4kids
Mega man. Volume five, Rock of ages
B
Aug 21, 2013 B rated it liked it
Shelves: westend, borrowed
Perfectly fine except for one big problem: pacing.

Why introduce so many characters so quickly? Why give the protagonist so many (conflicting) emotional problems stemming from his, essentially, PTSD? Why take one of the few stories that were prewritten and rush it instead of milking it?
Rask
Jan 17, 2012 Rask rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of 'Spaz's' artwork for a every long time, so I hunted down the first four issues of this comic! Let's 'Rock!' I know the story of Megaman very well, but it's nothing like seeing different takes on the flow of the story.
Felipe
Jan 12, 2013 Felipe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Absolutely fantastic. And the art and colors are perfect.
B
Mar 26, 2014 B rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Eh- comics turned into a graphic novel. I think the flow would be better as a comic- the story in short bursts.
Secret Stacks
This comic was discussed on Episode 15 of The Secret Stacks.
Tyler
Jan 10, 2014 Tyler rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not bad. It was fun and I always liked Mega Man. Not sure when I'll continue with the series, but I will eventually
Dan Janes
Feb 23, 2014 Dan Janes rated it liked it
About what you'd expect from a comic based on the classic video game. Retells the story of the original game in a fun little tale. If you find it cheap, definitely worth picking up.
Jesse
Apr 14, 2014 Jesse rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
It was a very good read. For those who have played Mega Man 1, you will certainly enjoy Flynn's interpretation of our favorite hero!
Nathan Dehoff
Nov 12, 2015 Nathan Dehoff rated it really liked it
The introduction to this comic series retells the plot of the first Mega Man game. A recommended read for fans of the video game series.
Lefteri001
Apr 26, 2013 Lefteri001 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. The art and story are very nice and I look forward to reading volume 2! Keep up the good work, Archie Comics!
Belinda (TheBookBuddies)
Mar 14, 2015 Belinda (TheBookBuddies) rated it really liked it
Shelves: trade-paperbacks
Really liked it. This was funny and enjoyable. The art was great and it was great to read about Megaman.
Shadowjac
Aug 06, 2015 Shadowjac rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Besides playing Megaman X, and the newest Super Smash Bros I have no idea who Megaman is or what lore he has; so this was a great starting point I really enjoyed it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Sonic the Hedgehog Archives: Volume 1 (Sonic the Hedgehog Archives, #1)
  • Ghostbusters, Volume 1: The Man From The Mirror
  • Pokemon Adventures vol. 27 (Pocket Monster Special)
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1
  • Oz: Road to Oz
  • Incredible Change-Bots: More Than Just Machines!
  • Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework
  • Darkwing Duck, Vol. 1: The Duck Knight Returns
  • Owly, Vol. 2: Just a Little Blue (Owly, #2)
  • Otto's Orange Day (TOON Level 3)
  • Blue Monday Volume 4: Painted Moon
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Volume 3: Shadows of the Past
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 11
  • Your Whole Family is Made Out of Meat: The Best of Dinosaur Comics, 2003-2005 A.D.
  • Gray Horses
  • Ava's Demon: Book One (Ava's Demon, #1)

Mega Man (Archie) (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Mega Man 2: Time Keeps Slipping