Start by marking “Midnight Secrets (Killdaren #1)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Secrets (Killdaren #1)

Midnight Secrets

(Killdaren #1)

Is he her darkest dream…or most terrifying nightmare?

Cassiopeia’s dreams have never been her own. They are harbingers of death. Yet when she learns her gentle cousin, Mary, has disappeared from a remote castle on the Cornish Coast, the official story doesn’t fit with Cassie’s prophetic dream.The mystery compels her to leave the safety and middle-class comfort of Oxford to
Published March 6th 2012 by Samhain Publishing (first published May 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Secrets

Start your review of Midnight Secrets (Killdaren #1)
Susan
Read half the book and decided it wasn't for me. Cassie, the heroine, took it upon herself to get a position at an isolated mansion to get information on the disappearance/drowning of her cousin Mary.

The first 100 or so pages finds her securing the position and then going on to say how much she wanted a bath. For 100 or so pages. And we learn about all the work she was made to do. And how much she wanted a bath.

Very little detection on her cousin's situation as far as I could see, only a few
Anna
Rating: 3.5 stars

Sexy, melodramatic, clichéd nonsense - exactly what I was in the mood for!
Rosina
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.

It took me a little while to get into this book, but towards the end I was really absorbed. The story wasn't quite what I expected, but it was still engrossing. From the blurb, I expected more paranormal elements. I won't spoil the ending, but I couldn't help being a little disappointed. The mystery of what happened to Cassie's cousin Mary had me flipping the pages, but I wasn't too impressed by the resolution. I also expected more of a clean
OLT
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Dreaming of death. Wishing for baths. Lots of baths.

(1.5 stars) I've been a sporadic reader of Gothic romance since my teens (a very, very long time). I favor the ones without paranormal elements and, in that respect, Jennifer St. Giles' Gothics work for me. In this one, for example, there is just a touch of the paranormal with the heroine and her sister having slight psychic abilities. Other than that, this is a pretty straightforward Victorian Gothic.

What bothered me about this, as opposed to
Melissa McHugh
Apr 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
I actually had to put this down after a several chapters, primarily because it's written in first person. Romance is the wrong genre to write in first person, honestly. First, it means I get way too many of the narrator's thoughts to the point that it's stream of consciousness, which is not fun to read. Plus, you don't get to the hero's POV, which is frustrating. There's a time and place for first person, and romance isn't it.

Additionally, despite the interesting summary that sold me the book,
AG Reads
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed the last 35%. If this book had been written in dual POV, preferably 3rd person, it could have been so much better. Instead, we spend the entire book in the heroine's head. It was repetitive, tedious, and boring. By the end, I knew more about the dead cousin than I did the Hero. There was too large a cast of characters and possibilities for the plot for the author to make the choice of single POV.
Lexie
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Honestly more of a 2.5.

Yep definitely a gothic inspired romance complete with the sometimes annoying habit of the heroine/narrator to overly describe scenes or people in a way that doesn't actually paint me a picture.

Standard fare - girl mysteriously goes missing, but more importantly the Hero lusts for the heroine but IT CAN NEVER BE.

Ever. Except if she sneaks into his bedroom without permission. Or he wants to prove its wrong for them to be together. Or she has too much "spiced wine".

Stacy
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Jane Mercer
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, my-books
Nice Gothic tale
Cassieopeia (Cassy) Andrews has a gift sometimes when she dreams it is of a person in peril or death, she dreams of a close cousin Mary to receive a telegram of her accidental deat,
Neither Cassy nor her aunt believe that Mary's death was accidental so Cassy goes to investigate, she has some experience as a reporter writing for a help column.
The master of the house the Earl is a philanderer the sons are thought to have murdered a young lady years before, the younger son shuns
michele
May 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-tangible
I started to read this series because I read an excerpt from book 3 and upon investigation into the series I discovered it was probably best to read them in order as they build off of each other and I'd miss some key details if I read the third book as a stand alone. This book was great up until chapter 8. I honestly felt like things started to fall apart during that chapter. (Ironically, that also happened to be the longest chapter in the book, about double the size of all the others. I don't ...more
Kathryn
2.5, maybe? This was almost a DNF. As the other reviews indicate, it is very slow, especially in the 60-80% range. I thought it would take me hours to get to 80.

It has insta-lust (and get this - the insta-lust is incited by an effing portrait). And hardly a scene passes between the hero and heroine without some petting (it was mildly creepy, considering little conversations were had). Once they got to know each other, at least they talked and she was able to resist the banging. I was
Wendy Tavenner
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bring Love into the Darkness!!

Loved the story!! Cassie and her sisters have psychic abilities that are kept secret. Cassie's comes to her in dreams. She dreams about her cousin Mary and knows she is dead but when there told she drowned Cassie knows that that isn't right. Mary is deathly scared of the water!! Cassie takes a position as a maid so she can unravel the mystery surrounding Mary's disappearance and death. While at Killdaren Castle she grows to care for the employees and the owner Sean.
Anna
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I got awfully close to DNFing this book several times, and only sheer determination not to let it defeat me (and the fact that I only had just over an hour left in it) got me to the end.

Midnight Secrets is a dark, gothic romance, and not a particularly well-written one at that. There is little to no chemistry between the heroine (who is constantly whining about wanting a bath) and the hero (who spends a good amount of time being pointlessly mysterious and saying things like, "There's only one
Heidi M
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book is a good one - is he a vampire? Lots of potential. But the story just wasn't compelling. Sean came off as so dark at first, then his real nature is revealed, and I just felt like what was with all the spooky threatening talk before? Like he knew she suspected him and wanted to play with her fears? But how could he know that? It got better later on, but the ending left loose ends, presumably to get readers to go on to the next book. The answer to the mystery wasn't ...more
M. L. Valard
3 stars
I was surprised to like this as much as I did. I think I enjoy romance considerably more if you toss in a mystery. There were plenty of things to wonder about in this one and that kept me reading to see how they'd all turn out. The first person perspective was an interesting touch and though it's not usually my preference it was surprisingly well handled. The characters for the most part were very interesting and easy to like. The sex was actually rather sexy and not so overdone that I
Beth buswell
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Hold on to you petticoat!

It's October so of course I'm in the mood for a good creepy and/or suspenseful read. This book did not disappoint in that respect, you end up being suspicious of EVERYONE. This book has more twists and turns then a corn maze. I did feel like this book was missing something, I just couldn't pinpoint specifically what. It's the first in the series but it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. You will have questions but those will be answered in the other books.
Dotty Lee Pozzi
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could be better

I felt like there was too much left unfinished. Too many unanswered questions. I here is the sister? Who is the horseman? What really happened to Mary. I don't think Jaime or his mom did it. I think Jaime truly was trying to protect but too scared himself to b able to explain it right. I think his mom confessed in a misguided attempt to
Save him. And who killed the other lady if not the twins? What about the Earl and his friends what are they really up to? Are they truly wicked?
Abby
I have mixed feelings about this one. The ending felt, for lack of a better word, unfinished. There were still too many things left open for me to really feel like the book had ended. What I did like about it was the MC. She was dedicated to her family and finding out the truth. She also grew and developed a lot over the course of the story. Not sure if I will be reading more of the series, but I did enjoy this character's journey.
Candace Propst
Sex is not love.

I don't like books that imply that sexual overtures are signs of love. I would rather read books in which the hero and heroine spend time getting to know each other, and not physically! Concentrating only on the physical side of the relationship ignores so much of our human nature. If there is only a physical attraction when a man and woman marry, there is nothing to support them when life happens. That's why so many people get divorced today!
Donne Knudsen
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-sweet
An interesting historical romance. Usually with these books it's all about the swooning virgin and the brooding hunk, which make no mistake, there was that too.

However I did find myself interested in the other characters and the back story as well. Usually, the other characters and plotting were weak but I like this one enough to continue with the series just to find out more about the other characters.
Crista  Devers
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Midnight Secrets

This is a great read. There are just enough characters to keep up with, not giving away the ending and keeps you guessing till the end.

The love Cassie and Sean end up having is beautiful.

The links a person will go thru to find out what happened to their cousin is relentless. This is a good read.
Rainer Prem
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Crime story with little romance (at least at the beginning).

If you want to read a steamy romance, this book will bore you. Well, there is a romance, but it's hidden behind a crime story combined with a look into the world of servants in a noble house. This is more about a journey of a young "proper" woman living in a sheltered world into reality.
Carole Burant
I did enjoy reading this book, even though the hero barely appears until half way through the story and even then the heroine only spends a few minutes in his company before she declares herself in love with him! Otherwise, it's a good story that includes paranormal touches, mystery and a few twists and turns. Better editing would have made this book even better.
Erth
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Ashley Kelahlyah
Exquisite Gothic mystery and romance!

I honestly can't give this enough stars. She has brilliantly built a detailed world filled with darkness and secret promises of something more and something dangerously. This book has captured me with its mystery and words, and I look forward to reading more from an author who can weave such a spell with words
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: won at RT
Shelves: 2017, rt-17

I loved, loved, loved the Gothic elements of this book. It was creepy in the best possible way. I loved the creepy house, the mysterious family, the unexpected vampire erotic books. I appreciated the culture shock the heroine felt as a result of her foray into the lower class role. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Marcie Brown
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enthralled

She is the best with suspense. Not even my style or reading but, she slowly hooked me with her line. I felt and saw everything she wrote as a movie in my mind. I couldn't put it down until I literally fell sleep holding my Kindle. I gave up a BBQ just so I could finish the book. I needed to know how everything wood go. Pathetic I know but, that's just how it was.
Louise purfield-coak
I could hardly put this book down. The story was very original especially for a Regancy
Romance.I loved the heroine, in fact all the women were very likable characters except for the villianess.This is an adult story and I would highly recommend it as pure escapism!
Patricia Wissore
I wasn't sure I was going to like the book when I started, but I found I loved the story of Cassie and Sean. I can't wait to see what Alex gets up to next. It didn't exactly end on a cliff hanger, but there are still questions that need answers and I don't think we've solved all the mysteries yet!
Sara McKay
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

I really enjoyed this book and am going to purchase the next. Great story line, just wished it had lasted a bit longer.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Engaging The Enemy (The Wild Randalls, #1)
  • Passionate (Passport to Romance #1)
  • A Dangerous Temptation
  • A Taste of Seduction (An Unlikely Husband #1)
  • Her Gilded Prison (Daughters of Sin #1)
  • Always and Forever (Second Chance Brides #7)
  • Secrets of Midnight (The Man of My Dreams Series, #1)
  • Brazen Angel (Brazen, #1)
  • An Affair in Winter (Seasons, #1)
  • Secrets to a Gentleman's Heart (Gentlemen of Intrigue, #1)
  • Bewitching
  • The Hidden Duchess
  • Somewhat Scandalous (Brambridge Novels Book 1)
  • Lord of Chance (Rogues to Riches #1)
  • Bleddyn Hall
  • With His Lady's Assistance (The Regent Mysteries, #1)
  • The Seduction of Lord Stone (Dashing Widows, #1)
  • Dreaming of You
USA Today Bestselling Author Jennifer St. Giles writes under the names Jennifer Saints and JL Saint. She writes sexy southern suspense, paranormal romance, military romantic suspense, gothic historical and paranormal crime,

She writes romance because she believes that when you take a human being to the very core of his existence, then you will find that what matters more than anything else is to

Killdaren (3 books)
  • Darkest Dreams (Killdaren #2)
  • Silken Shadows (Killdaren #3)
“Human nature is an odd thing, is it not?” he asked softly. “Always tempting man to his demise.” 2 likes
“Then imagine with me a moment that God is not alone. It is possible that He presides over more than just man? There are a number of archeological wonders about the world leading one to believe that more than just mortal man and beast have walked this earth.” 1 likes