Start by marking “Just Ducks!” as Want to Read:
Just Ducks!

Just Ducks!

(Nature Storybooks)

A young girl shares her observations about the mallards near her house in an engaging, informative story sure to make a splash with duck lovers.

Quack quack, Quack-quaack-quack.
It's the first sound I hear every morning.

The young girl in this story may live in the city, but outside her window there's a river full of mallard ducks! She hears them as soon as she wakes up, and
Published March 27th 2012 by Candlewick (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Just Ducks!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Ducks!

Matt
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this short piece all about ducks, the narrator tells of how she encounters mallards all throughout the day, from the first time the curtains open through to the final time the moon shines down on them. Ducks are quite the creature, with their odd habits of nesting and feeding, as well as mating and protecting themselves from predators. Mixing a story with some information, the young reader is able to discover the world of ducks, hopefully able to spot a few when they are out and about in the ...more
Teresa
I quite liked this book and the way it weaves in facts about ducks within a loose storyline (there's no actual plot to the story, just a girl MC narrating...I'm totally fine with that, but I found that some people don't like that).

My only quibble is that it is actually not good for the ducks (or people, ultimately) to feed them bread. It's devoid of the nutrition ducks need but yet keeps them alive so that nature can't take its course. For reasons on why feeding ducks in urban area is not a good
Paul  Hankins
A young girl hears ducks quacking in the morning. Through her perspective, readers learn more about the ducks.

This could be a neat non-fiction picture book, but in this case, the story kind of suffers for the want of including non-fiction asides on each page. This is solved--somehow--with an index in the back of the book which might serve as a nice introduction to referencing an index.

The illustrations are very nice which would make this a gentle read-aloud for bedtime.
Lauran Ferguson
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked how this book was a children's story, but it also provided an opportunity for them to learn something about creatures that they will see a lot of the time. The little definitions at the bottom of each page will really help children to understand what they are reading. There is also an index at the back of the book where they can look up each work if they need to. The illustrator chose to paint in watercolor which I think was completely perfect. Great book!
KC
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everything ducks. Lovely illustrations.
Nicole B.
Curious about a day in the life of a duck? Just Ducks, listed as one of the USBBY 2013, Outstanding International Books, shares about a day in the life of a mallard duck through a young girl’s perspective.

Although a picture book, this book also provides the reader with information on the daily routines of a duck making it non-fiction too. Nicola Davies engages the reader with her different font sizes (smaller font to provide informational facts and larger font for the storyline). Salvatore Rubb
HueL
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science4kids
This is a quite lovely little book about ducks, just ducks!

There is a pond outside the window of the little girl's house. Watching ducking, and discussing with her family about the ducks has become part of her life. Through this narrative this book talked a lot about the science facts of ducks.

I always enjoy children's book about science which has been constructed in a story structure, especially those book that has a temperature. The last generation of the science book was mainly based on pla
Linda Patchett
A little girl wakes up to quacking ducks. She is the story narrator. We follow her day's activities and the mallard ducks she closely observes. Nicola Davies gently and succinctly weaves facts about the mallard duck's daily life into the child's day. The enchanting water color illustrations couple beautifully with the story and provide plenty of white space for interesting facts. I highly recommend this hybrid picture and non-fiction book for families who love to learn about nature. It is perfec ...more
Mary Davis
I picked this story because I love ducks and had one as a pet when I was younger. There is a young girl that can see a river full of ducks out of her window. She passes them as she goes to school and she can hear them when she wakes up in the mornings. The book is informative and interesting. It tells you a lot about ducks, how to tell the difference between a girl and boy, why some of their quacks are different, and how they find food. Also, the illustrations are very good. This is overall a go ...more
Kate Nichter
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is set for older children as well as younger children. However, when reading to my two-year-old, she was not very interested. On each page, there are definitions and terms under words that are unfamiliar such as the difference between a duck and a mallard. The text was choppy and hard to read. The ink looked like it was running out while printing. However, the design of the book is very cool. The inside page portrays an image of water and the reflection of the buildings and trees.
Melanie Stockman
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
First, the illustrations were adorable. I love how artistic kids books are and the artwork in them is just beautiful. I loved this one because the illustrator put in a lot of detail, the more I looked at the pages the more little drawings popped out at me.
I also liked how the last 4(?) pages were dedicated to definitions of words that were used in the story and some other interesting facts about ducks (the ones presented in the story and also in general).
Gina
Sep 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
This should have been a higher score, but on the topic of feeding the author put that even thought ducks can't live on bread it can help them stay full. Bread is very bad for ducks:

There seems to have been research, and then a willful choice to stick with tradition in a book that appears to be educating. Completely irresponsible.
Charles McChesney
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just Ducks is an uplifting and liberating little jaunt through nature reminiscent of Christopher Derricks adult work Escape From Skepticism. There are enough similarities in the two that I find it hard to believe that the zoologist that wrote this book wasn't profoundly influenced by a rather non-hard science view of life as having a more of a Thomistic nature.
Kristi Brent
I didn't like this one as much as the other books I have read so far, I thought it was a little bit boring and I don't think younger children would be very interested in it. I did however like that it gave little facts about ducks on each page.
Bethel
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid intro to non-fiction for the younger crowd. I am currently reading to 2-year-old twins so we skipped the smaller print sections (of additional scientific info) and they really enjoyed the story.
Christine Biles
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A simple story, with added non-fiction information. A fun way to learn some facts. The set up of the book like a fiction book makes it more appealing to a youger reader. They are learning without know it! Books are amazing that way!
Lauren
This book was gorgeous and informative. We picked it up because Libby developed a fondness for our pond's ducks and kept asking questions about them that were beyond my threshold of "duck knowledge."
Megan McCloud
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Meh... don't feed them bread though....
Julie
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet story with nice illustrations and really interesting Duck facts in the margins.
Sean Harding
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Story and information mingled about the subject of well look at the title ducks my man ducks!! A decent read from Davies with a lot of interesting information and an engaging story.
Jenna Mills
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of duck info
Louisa May
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked this book. Was a fun non-fiction book that conveyed the information as a story. The illustrations were really beautiful. Very nice introductions to non-fiction books
Juli Anna
I love ducks, and I LOVED ducks as a child, but I would not have loved this book.
Michelle
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's not often I learn new things about any animal, but this book taught me new things about ducks
Katie
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually really loved this book! I think it had a good amount of story along side the more factual words. Plus the images would cute too!
It was very educational about ducks and I think kids could relate to ducks, especially if they have ever fed the ducks (I remember doing that!). It even had a index so students could specifically recall and use it to find information. (Eggs, beaks, dabbling, preening, feathers, etc.)
Vera Godley
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young children up to 8 years
Just Ducks! by Nicola Davies and illustrated by Salvatore Rubbino

This is a delightful picture book featuring Mallard ducks as they quack their way through the day with a little girl who awakens to their quacks. This isn't really about the little girl - she is simply the witness of everything Just ducks!

The reader will learn why some ducks have louder quacks and how to tell a boy duck from a girl duck. This is a "nature storybook" in that it tells a story but it has also informative bits about du
Margaret Chind
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Margaret by: ALA Award Book
Before my jump into looking at ALA Award Books, I had not heard of Just Ducks! or Nicola Davies or even illustrator Salvatore Rubbino. I looked in our library and they didn't have it, so I requested it for review because of the award status. I am delighted with it! This is absolutely going to become part of my curricula recommendations.

Reading, Make Way for Ducklings add on Just Ducks!! Going to spend time reading and lapbooking The Story About Ping, grab Just Ducks! and learn more about these
Raven
Nicole Davies, an author of children’s books, has won many awards such as Green earth book award and the Boston Globe-Horn Book Nonfiction Honor. Most of her books, being non-fiction, spark children’s curiosity and fill them with the urgency to learn more. Her favorite things to write about are animals, their habitats, how they survive and adapt to their environments.
In the book Just Ducks, Nicola Davies gives a view into the daily activities of a duck, Mallard ducks in particular. What is most
David
Just Ducks! by Nicola Davies, illustrated by Salvatore Rubbino is a young girl's encounters with the ducks that live on the river near her house, with informational facts included.

Rubbino's playful illustrations were done in mixed media. Spiders, snails, ants, cats and dogs are shown, in addition to the ducks who display a variety of movements. My favorite images are cover, eating at river, still eating, ducks & drakes, chasing, greenhouse and sleeping.

Davies' text has two main text sizes:
NZBook Girl
Nicola Davies is a name I look out for now, and have never been let down by a book yet. She is a very clever writer of non-fiction for children, often, as here, in the non-fiction picture book form, quite a new format for conveying information to children, and quite tricky for librarians to catalogue, I often wish for two copies, one to go in the picture books and one in the appropriate non-fiction section.
The story follows the narrator through her day as she talks about what the ducks are doin
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Demolition
  • Lucky Ducklings
  • Meet the Dogs of Bedlam Farm
  • Jimmy the Greatest!
"I was very small when I saw my first dolphin," says zoologist Nicola Davies, recalling a seminal visit with her father to a dolphin show at the zoo. Enchanted at the sight of what she called the "big fish" jumping so high and swimming so fast, she determined right then that she would meet the amazing creatures again "in the wild, where they belonged." And indeed she did--as part of a pair of scie ...more

Nature Storybooks (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • White Owl, Barn Owl