Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Iraqi Women: Untold Stories from 1948 to the Present” as Want to Read:
Iraqi Women: Untold Stories from 1948 to the Present
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Iraqi Women: Untold Stories from 1948 to the Present

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The war in Iraq has put the condition of Iraqi women firmly on the global agenda. For years, their lives have been framed by state oppression, economic sanctions and three wars. Now they must play a seminal role in reshaping their country's future for the twenty-first century.

Nadje Al-Ali challenges the myths and misconceptions which have dominated debates about Iraqi wom
...more
Paperback, 304 pages
Published February 12th 2007 by Zed Books
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Iraqi Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iraqi Women

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
رغد قاسم
كتاب رائع وجهد عظيم بالفعل للعراقية نادية صادق العلي
سَدّ هذا الكتاب الكثير من الثغرات التي لم تسدها كتب التاريخ التي تناولت تاريخ العراق، وذلك لاحتوائه على التاريخ الشفاهي
والذي وإن كانَ متأثراً بالانتماءات وما أكثرها في العراق! إلا أنّها تعطيط صورة واضحة عن البلد
لا أستطيع إلا أن أشكر العزيزة "تقى" للسماح لي باستعارة نسختها وعن قريب طبعاً سأسعى للحصول على نسختي الورقية
لا غبار على جهود الكاتبة ودقتها في تحري المعلومة، ومحاولتها الوقوف على الحياد وعدم الانحياز لجهة دون أخرى
لكن الكتاب كان سيكون
...more
Sincerae
I finished this book today as I received in the mail this other very important, mammoth size tome about the modern history of Iraq:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

I have been fascinated by Iraq for years since it was in the news for such a long time. I wanted to learn about it in depth far away from the media. I was very excited over a year ago when I happened upon Iraq Women by accident while surfing online.

Though I have a few points of criticism about Iraqi Women: Untold Stories fro
...more
Sia
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
I'd definitely had liked it more if al-Ali had interviewed a more diverse population of women. All the women interviewed were middle to upper class, secular, and well-educated. Nonetheless, these are fantastic testimonies and assist in understanding the history of Iraq and its people since 1948.
Nadia
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a really great book on many levels.

It's really weird for me to think that at this time Iraq has largely faded from public discourse. Since 1990, and as long as I'd been paying attention to politics for sure, it had been the subject of fear, of containment, of violence and constant debates in global and American policy. We talk about other places now.

At the time of the 2003 war and when this book was published I think there were two main points of rhetoric that came up WRT Iraq and women
...more
Emily
Mar 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
The book is biased and contradicts itself in many places. While Al-Ali claims to get views from a wide variety of Iraqi women most interviews are with upper middle class, secular educated women. She also contradicts herself in many places, especially when speaking of the March 2003 invasion of Iraq and its aftermath.
Theodora
Dec 10, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: books09, islam, shia, politics
This was the best book we read in my class this quarter (so far). I echo the comment that there shd be less describing and more space for the women to talk -- but I appreciate al-Ali bringing her own story into the mix.
Maha
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب متميز لباحثة عراقية عرضت فيه أصوات نساء عراقيات من خمسينات القرن العشرين و حتى العقد الأول من القرن الواحد و عشرين. تناولت الكاتبة المشاكل و الفرص في حيوات تلك النساء و شرحت الخلفية الاجتماعية و السياسية و الثقافية للمجتمع في الفترات الزمنية المختلفة التي تناولتها. ترجمة ممتازة و اسلوب سهل و سلس و مشوق لقراءة تاريخ العراق الحديث بوضع المرأة في الصدارة. التزمت الكاتبة الحيادية في تناولها للمواضيع الحساسة و بالذات الطائفية. كذلك وضحت محدودية الدراسة بكونها اعتمدت على وجهات نظر المثقفات و ساكن ...more
Virginia Rand
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a really sad book, but one that I think more people should read.
Nicoletta Garcia
rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2013
Gayyath Chalabi
rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2018
Zeena
rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2013
Adriane
rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Wasan Kadhim
rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Cameron Powers
rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Suha Fre
rated it did not like it
Dec 13, 2016
Iman
rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2017
Gayyath Chalabi
rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2018
Mehreen Jamal
rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2017
Rima Rashid
rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2017
Alaq
rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2017
Stella
rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Katia
rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2017
Nay El Rahi
rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Kristi
rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2012
Jessica Dankert
rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Reemah Rose
rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Naranj
rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Rahaf
rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Rachel Nickens
rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Zach Ward
rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
« previous 1 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
648156
Nadje Sadig Al-Ali (Arabic: نادية صادق العلي) is the author of Iraqi Women: Untold Stories From 1948 to the Present. and co-author with Nicola Pratt of What Kind of Liberation? Women and the Occupation of Iraq. Born to an Iraqi father and German mother, and having lived in Egypt for several years and being involved in the Egyptian women's movement, Al-Ali is also Professor of Gender Studies at the ...more
More about Nadje Al-Ali...

Nonfiction Deals

  • Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sometimes You Win--Sometimes You Learn: Life's Greatest Lessons Are Gained from Our Losses
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Human Performance
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Long Tail: Why the Future Is Selling Less of More
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Quantum Healing (Revised and Updated): Exploring the Frontiers of Mind/Body Medicine
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Elephant Company: The Inspiring Story of an Unlikely Hero and the Animals Who Helped Him Save Lives in World War II
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Funny In Farsi: A Memoir Of Growing Up Iranian In America
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Effortless Healing: 9 Simple Ways to Sidestep Illness, Shed Excess Weight, and Help Your Body Fix Itself
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianity
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Village of Secrets: Defying the Nazis in Vichy France
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
    $5.99 $0.99