Start by marking “Secret of the Old Post Box” as Want to Read:
Secret of the Old Post Box

Secret of the Old Post Box

From her first day in Haven, Pat began to do all the things she had missed in New York City. There were trees to climb, a garden to play in, and a bike to ride. There were also new neighbors; the three scowling Paine brothers, friendly Jim Gray, and tiny Barbara Thompson, who never stopped giggling. But best of all there was a historic, pre-revolutionary house right next d ...more
Published 1960 by Doubleday & Company, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Secret of the Old Post Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret of the Old Post Box

Cyndy
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good children's book from scholastic. For a children's book it had a lot of interesting facts in there about the revolutionary war time period that I did not know about. It is a quick read but entertaining.
Summer
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these old Scholastic books from the 60s!
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
At first I thought Sterling was going to write a social-realism novel about how Pat adjusts from New York City to small semi-rural town upstate, makes friends and decides she's too old for dolls etc.
Instead, we are given a faux-history lesson that never really happened, and are expected to believe that a bunch of kids spent the whole summer checking fireplaces brick by brick. Yeah, like that's gonna happen. Especially the little boys, after a day or two they'd be looking for something fun to do,
Josephine
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Dated, absolutely. A girl putting on pedal-pushers to play baseball? Oh, Please! Didactic? That too. Stopping in the middle of the action to explain about George Washington and his network of Revolutionary Spies? YAWN!

But on the other hand...and this is important to me. That girl IS playing baseball. With boys. Not very well, perhaps. But at no point did the author stop to say "because Pat was a girl". Rather it's more likely that this is because she's played baseball only in her school's gym, h
Susann
Aug 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Another enjoyable Powell's find. I knew that Sterling had written The Brownie Scout Mystery, but I knew nothing of her impressive life story and her "lucid, well- researched portrayals of historical African Americans written decades before multiculturalism became mainstream." (See Los Angeles Times obituary here.)

This book is as white-bread as The Brownie Scout Mystery, but it does include Revolutionary War history and decidedly un-cookie-cutter kids with real, even crabby, personalities. I like
Susan
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, 2012
Very good story from my old Scholastic Book Club bootie. Though old, I don't think the story is dated except for maybe the naming of the girls (Barbara, Pat) and the fact that one of the characters' father died in the Korean war. Into all this a little bit of history, secret hiding places, spies and puzzles.

Pretty good for a juvenile story.
Carol Caldwell
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am so glad to discover Dorothy Sterling. Her writing moved smoothly and kept me interested. I was surprised at how quickly I read the book. I loved the pieces of history sprinkled through the story. It was done very well, without slowing the plot. I look forward to reading more of her books.
Tatra
A cool old book that was fun to read. More a children's book than YA, and fairly short, so it was a quick read.
Jody
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my gateway book to mystery stories. I read it over and over as a child and I still love it!
Donna
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, mystery
I love this story and how the kids solve the mystery. This is a great story to get kids interested in history. This is another book I wish I had when I was a kid.
Jane Irish Nelson
Eleven-year-old Pat is thrilled to be moving to the country, where she will be able to ride her bike and climb trees. She soon makes friends with a group of neighbor children — Jim, Barbara, and the three Paine brothers. The Paine family is about to lose the family mansion for back taxes. unless they can find the lost treasure, before the deadline. Interesting story.
Janice
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A childhood favorite of my family
Bonny
Joy Cabrera
Mar 11, 2015
Rachel
Jan 09, 2012
Dorothy Sterling (Dannenberg) was a Jewish-American writer and historian.

She was born and grew up in New York City, attended Wellesley College, and graduated from Barnard College in 1934. After college, she worked as a journalist and writer in New York for several years. In 1937, she married Philip Sterling, also a writer. In the 1940s, she worked for Life Magazine for 8 years. In early 1968, 448