Start by marking “Jesus with Dirty Feet: A Down-To-Earth Look at Christianity for the Curious Skeptical” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  232 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
as the man who started Christianity. But it turns ou he wasn't just a man and he didn't just start Christianity. Most folks think of Jesu as an other-worldly religious leader a great moral teacher or maybe they don't think of him at all. But he had dirty feet, partied cooked breakfas and got himself killed. Who was this guy Why did people hate him so much? And why should I ...more
Published May 1st 1999 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Jesus with Dirty Feet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus with Dirty Feet

Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jesus with Dirty Feet is a book of sensitive straight-talk.

At first I was going to say that Don Everets takes us back to "bare bones Christianity," but that's not the best phrase.

He isn't explaining the skeletal structure of a religion, he's painting a portrait of a people and their King.

He starts with one Man (who had been born on a specific day in history- unmarked except that shepherds saw angels, in an ordinary birth as women know it, but to a virgin girl) and the Man is now grown up and s
Garrett Fox
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tired of the Americanized sissy Jesus of the modern day Prosperity Gospel? Fed up with the hypocrisy of mainstream Christianity and the corruption of the so-called "church"? Yeah, me too. Kinda makes you wanna give up on this whole God thing, doesn't it? But wait! Not so fast! Don't let all of our culture's quasi-Christian nonsense spoil the true revolutionary awesomeness of Jesus for you. Give him one more chance, please. Get ready to pick up a REAL, 500 lb, earthy, splinter-filled wooden cross ...more
Ben Zajdel
Don Everts uses poetry and simplistic thought to explain the origin of the Christian faith in Jesus With Dirty Feet. Some readers might find the text of this book distracting, and I would agree. The words wander all over the page, moving in all directions and forms.

However, that doesn't take away from the beauty of Everts' words. The author strips away all of the religion and tradition of Christianity, looking at it with a fresh perspective. The result is a biography of Jesus minus the religiou
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Though it's billed as a book for non-Christians, it seems much more appropriate for explaining to religious conservatives that Jesus is and was much less of a dictator than many believe. If you already see Jesus as something of a hippie, you won't take much new away from this book.

The author formats the text in a manner not unlike poetry, with ample use of line breaks, shape, and location within the page. However, the novel utilization of superficially poetic format lacks as much effect as one m
David Brown
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a Christian Primer like no other you have seen. For those of you desiring more art in faith this is the book for you. It explores the reality of Jesus as a man as well as God. Written in sense lines the book flows like one long poem that reveals a Jesus that is easy to fall in love with and fear his call on your life at the same time.
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
A small, simple book that truly drives home that many human, divine, and wonderful characteristics of Christ. This book was an incredible comfort to me in high school, when I was beginning to doubt the existence of God and the value of the Church.
Craig Kendall
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As unique as the style is that Don used to write this book, the content that is poured into the unique style is equally unique. I've recommended it to numerous folks who, like me have been moved and challenged by it. It will stretch and challenge your thinking of what it means to be like Jesus.
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
A plain language attempt to get at the heart of Christianity. While its tagline says it's for skeptics I also think it's good for those of us who have grown up in the church as a challenge and to refocus us.
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
I liked the premise but didn't much care for the actual book.
Sep 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: andis-favorites
Andrea's review: a beginner's guide to knowing/understanding Jesus. A very simple to understand, easy to read book about a very complex thing.
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be God's hands and feet.
Oct 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
challenging; new ways to think about Jesus, faith, church, salvation, the Bible.
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nuggets and bullet points about Jesus and the Bible written in contemporary language
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Emma by: Mrs. Jensen
Loved It!!!!!!!!!! It is so true, we really need to just set everything aside and follow God/Jesus.

Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poem
I really enjoyed this book. I have been trying to figure out my relationship with God and after reading this, I defiantly feel as if I have a better understanding of him. Throughout the book, there are a lot of references about God that I can understand easily and some of them even relate too. I liked how the book broke down everything from what Jesus started out as to prayer and things like that. I would recommend this book to those who are questioning their relationship with God and those who ...more
Kate Gilbert
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting structure and syntax. I like how this book looks differently at a story that we often hear. I recommended this book to my friend who is a new Christian, and I think it was very helpful to her. We often talk about our faith together and it is nice to have a book to refer to.
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Written like poetry, this little gem aims to illustrate with words that which is sublime.
With titles like “The Tribe,” “Blue–Collar Spirituality,” and “Dripping Pages,” Everts
presents the living God who came to live amongst us.
Andrew Childers
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Content is biblical; form is unconventional. And with these two, the book was compelling. Though it felt like reading an extended poem, I appreciated the style. It's certainly something I'd give to someone that's not very familiar with Jesus (I mean, the Bible would be good too).
Feb 19, 2016 added it
Shelves: youth-ministry
good read
Buzz Barr
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great little book trying to get us to remember how to really follow Jesus. My students read it and thought it was good also.
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Great way to look at Christianity the way it was meant to be. In verse form, which was meaningful.
Nick Nelson
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Amazing "simple" look at who Jesus really is and what He came to establish...
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, new-testament
If you never get around to this book, at least know and love the title. This is the incarnation my friend
Jul 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Its all about Him...
Aug 11, 2007 rated it liked it
in progress.
Tim Morris
Jul 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Love Evert's perspective. It feels fresh, new, and like he actually believes in what he is writing about.
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirit
This is a great little book that I know I will read over and over again.
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and am busy trying to read others he has written. Very real look at Jesus, using poetry and spare words. Beautiful.
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
  • The New Friars: The Emerging Movement Serving the World's Poor
  • The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
  • The Search to Belong: Rethinking Intimacy, Community, and Small Groups
  • Jacob & the Prodigal: How Jesus Retold Israel's Story
  • Acts (The Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Pia Desideria
  • New Testament Commentary Survey
  • The Mystery of Christ & and Why We Don't Get It
  • I Was Just Wondering
  • New Dictionary of Biblical Theology: Exploring the Unity Diversity of Scripture
  • Dictionary of Paul and His Letters: A Compendium of Contempoary Biblical Scholarship
  • Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus
  • Apostolic Preaching of the Cross. Revised.
  • Toward an Exegetical Theology: Biblical Exegesis for Preaching and Teaching
  • Death in the City
Don Everts began writing while spending nearly two decades on college campuses in Washington and Colorado. He wrote his first book, Jesus with Dirty Feet, as a 25 year-old who had just gotten married and moved to Boulder, CO.

Since then Don has published 12 books with InterVarsity Press and is currently mulling over writing an uplifting zombie novel.

Having finally gotten off the college campus, Do
More about Don Everts...
“Referring to the church as a building is like referring to people as two-by-fours.” 0 likes