Start by marking “The Lost Art of World Domination (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Art of World Domination (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1.5)

The Lost Art of World Domination

(Skulduggery Pleasant #1.5)

A shot of Skulduggery action for free. It isn't easy to take over the world. First you need the scheme. Then you need the muscle. Then you need to come up with a system for ruling six billion people and keeping them fron revolting. It takes a certain kind of man to take over the world. Scaramouch Van Dreg, however, is not that man. But he has one thing going for him. He ha ...more
Published by HarperCollins (first published April 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Art of World Domination, please sign up.
Bells This story's now in the new 'Armageddon Outta Here' book by Derek Landy. It contains this story as well as several others :)

Start your review of The Lost Art of World Domination (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1.5)
ambsreads
This was honestly hilarious. I grinned the whole way through. The humour in this series is definitely my favourite.
Sheila Beaumont
Hilarious short story in which the skeleton detective doesn't have much trouble defeating an inept villain bent on world domination. Looking forward to reading the rest of this series.
Booknut
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
The people in this series honestly have the coolest - and weirdest - names.

I mean, 'Skulduggery'? I get. But...Scaramouch? And not just Scaramouch but 'Scaramouch Van Dreg'?!

I just can't imagine him as a baby. Or what people said to him as a child.

"Come over here, 'ickle Scaramouch!" or "Aww, little Scaramouch is just so adorable!" I dunno, I just can't picture it!

Seriously, who names their kid Scaramouch?!

The other option is that, like Valkyrie, he chose his name so as to protect his true name.
Karib
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You can read it free here: http://www.skulduggerypleasant.co.uk/... ...more
Sana Zameer
World domination is indeed lot of hard work!!
Asya
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
World Domination requires a lot of work, megalomaniacs never seem to realize that :D The World is lucky Skulduggery's one of the good guys :D
Mehsi
Hilarious, really wonderful. Poor villian, getting all that over him.
Mathangi
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very quick and super funny read with just enough glimpses of what is to be expected in the later books.
Yolanda Sfetsos
This is a series that I've really fallen behind on, but my daughter's up to the latest book and she keeps telling me to catch up. LOL. So I decided to get back into it with this in-between-the-novels short story.

Scaramouch Van Dreg has Skulduggery Pleasant just where he wants him--chained up inside a dungeon. He's convinced he's the baddest of Pleasant's archenemies, but as he soon finds out... he's way off.

OMG. This shortie was a lot of fun! Really funny. Oh, and every time I read the name Scar
Megan Kleynsmith
This was HILARIOUS!!!

The Lost Art Of World Domination is a short story that comes as a little bonus at the end of the first Skulduggery Pleasant book and what a treat it was!

I giggled all the way through.

Such a Pleasant little story when you have finished the dramatic and action packed novel.
Angelmira
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-f, paranormal
4 stars... just because it was so short, but i loved it.
Sikander Ahmed
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We need more villains like Scaramouch Van Dreg. A hilarious short story!
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Ever wanted to question the specifics of a villian's clichéd world domination plan? Call a villain out on the infantile nature of it, presenting the difficulties he'll face in accomplishing such a feat, and then maintaining leadership should he succeed? Skullduggery Pleasant does all that and more with his quick, dry wit and that sharp, sarcastic tongue of his, and it's deliciously satisfying and rib-ticklingly funny. An excellent non-essential freebie.

*I found this at the back of the 2007 paper
Andrew
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok this is short - I mean this is shorter than some chapters in books but all the same it's a Skulduggery Pleasant book with all the humour and dry wit in it you come to know and expect from the series - its a standalone episode which does not really need to much of an explanation (if you have not guessed it or know there is a story arch but its not important for this one) - so for a short 15 mins read its good fun. would be interesting to see more of these as little tasters for the bigger deals ...more
Anna
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Derek Landy's style suits the short story format probably better than the novel - his humour and comic book style writing lends itself to fast paced short humorous showdowns. Good fun.
Printed at the back of book 1.
Desinka
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This was too short and a bit predictable. Skulduggery can do much better than that!
Saloni
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Detailed Summary

Scaramouche wants to take over the world. He thinks Skulduggery is his arch-nemesis so he captured the skeleton. Skulduggery asks him what his plan is, bringing up issues like famine, wars and the media. Scaramouche says he’s got this box with an insect which will drain sorcerers’ powers. Skulduggery asks if he’s sure the insect IS still in there. Scaramouche opens the box and Skulduggery squishes the insect. Scaramouche screams in rage and Stephanie comes in and blasts him. He’s
Luke (TheGingerBookWorm)
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It isn't easy to take over the world. First you need the scheme. Then you need the muscle. Then you need to come up with a system for ruling six billion people and keeping them fron revolting. It takes a certain kind of man to take over the world. Scaramouch Van Dreg, however, is not that man. But he has one thing going for him. He has his arch enemy, Skulduggery Pleasant, chained in his dungeon, and the only person who is coming to save him is the skeleton detective's 13 year old sidekick. What ...more
Vanessa (@tworeadsworth)
This is such a funny little addition to the books. It is in no way needed for the books, it doesn't provide any new insights in characters or the story or anything else.

I think, if one looks at this with serious eyes it can't get more than a star or two. But this was clearly written with nothing but fun and over-clichéed scenarios in mind. And for that, it did well.

The little conversation depicted here was quick to read and made me chuckle and my heart warm a bit. However, it is - as mentioned b
Natalie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely brilliant short story, and I loved that even with so few pages to it (less than 30!) it was still able to completely draw you in, and feel like a true part of the series. The sarcasm and witticisms in this are definitely on par with the full-length books of the series.

Side note: anyone else getting Bohemian Rhapsody vibes from this villain? I mean... he's called Scaramouch Van Dreg 8'D

...Scaramouch, Scaramouch will you do the Fandango...
Hannah
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

It was good and I laughed quite a bit but I wish it had been a little bit longer. I just finished the first book and this is book 1.5. It is worth reading because where else can you find a smart mouth skeleton? ;)
Scott Wozniak
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny short

This short story is full of the dry humor that makes this series good. The super villain isn’t quite as super as he thinks.
Ishaal Ramroop
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
±3 hours but I enjoyed it (that's what she said)
Amy
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loving this series! I know that I’m not that fair into the series but I can’t wait to read more!
Lisa Brick
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just a cute short story. Loved it!! Skulduggery is so sassy. Ha ha.
Isel
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a funny very short story.
When he squashed the bug... 😂😂😂
Rhonda
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun novella featuring Skulduggery Pleasant. Funny as always, but I do wish it had been a bit longer.
Beth Malmskog
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun. Short story and barely that. And Skullduggery without his hat.
Hollie Jade
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
A tad predictable but a good quick read
Brittney ♡
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ANOTHER GREAT SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT BOOK!!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Quite a Ride (Alex Rider, #2.5)
  • Christmas at Gunpoint (Alex Rider, #0.5)
  • The White Carnation (Alex Rider, #0.4)
  • Resistance to Interrogation (Alex Rider, #1.5)
  • The Nothing Man
  • Ink & Sigil (Ink & Sigil, #1)
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • Thursdays with the Crown (Castle Glower, #3)
  • The Twelve Deaths Of Christmas
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 2
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 1 (Tokyo Tarareba Girls, #1)
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 4
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 3
  • The Motion of Puppets
  • Die drei ???. Fluch des Piraten (Die drei Fragezeichen, #132).
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • Halfway to Free
  • The Wicked Sister
Derek Landy is an Irish writer and screenwriter. In addition to the bestselling children's/YA series of Skulduggery Pleasant books, a supernatural mystery series starring Skulduggery Pleasant, a skeleton detective, and Valkyrie Cain, a young female magician, he has written two screenplays that have been made into films: the IFTA award winning "Dead Bodies" and the IFTA nominated "Boy Eats Girl". L ...more

Skulduggery Pleasant (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)
  • Playing with Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, #2)
  • The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant, #3)
  • Dark Days (Skulduggery Pleasant, #4)
  • Mortal Coil (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5)
  • Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Skulduggery Pleasant, #7)
  • Last Stand of Dead Men (Skulduggery Pleasant, #8)
  • The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, #9)
  • Resurrection (Skulduggery Pleasant, #10)