Start by marking “United Moon Colonies” as Want to Read:
United Moon Colonies

United Moon Colonies

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Richard Chong just led the United Moon Colonies to victory over the Fundamentalist Union, or Fundys, saving Earth from a totalitarian madman. Now as the Moon finally gains respect on its parent planet, a new madman wants to kill Chong. But it's not all about the President. They have an even more insidious plot to rule both worlds and bring the Fundys back for good.
ebook
Published August 27th 2011 by Self Published (first published August 2011)

To ask other readers questions about United Moon Colonies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about United Moon Colonies

Philip
This is a really fun book. The story moved along at a brisk pace with plenty of twists and turns. After listening to Tom Merritt on countless podcasts over the years I think I have a bit of a feel for his personality, it was fun to see it coming through in this story. Mostly I'd say this is a Sci-Fi thriller, with some humor mixed in and a dash of hard boiled style to it. Merritt did a good job with the narration of the audio book. The mistakes in his reading were minor and easily forgivable. It ...more
Matthew
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
So my rating was a bit higher than most would expect. I enjoyed the book and note it probably could have used a bit more body to it, however, it was written in a month as part of NaNoRMo (or however you abbreviate it). I enjoy the others work on Buzz Out Loud, Tech News Today and The Sword and Laser Book Club so it was nice to see this side of him as well. Interesting to see if there is a part two.
Alfredo
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast pace, very engaging and interesting read. The topic of a religious war combined with Moon colonies makes it both a current and interesting book. The fact that Venezuela appears promptly, even if in the side of the bad guys, was just icing in the cake. My only criticism is the use of phrases like "he looks Venezuelan" I don't care how advance is the future, distinguishing between different nationalities in Latin America will always be more a question of accent than of looks.
Bill Nobes
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Got it from Amazon to support one of my favorite podcasters and was expecting to write a polite review. Turns out I can write a very honest review and say I quite enjoyed it. There were some hints of Slippery Jim DiGriz with a little Scalzi for flavor. Nice work Mr. Merritt!
Sean
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a stellar read, but produced enough moments to be enjoyable. It was a National Novel Writing Month project, so that makes it more impressive.
Scott
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book dealing with politics in minor ways, but turns into a great adventure story of conspiracy and mistrust. The hero is believable and likable, as is his love interest and their relationship that adds a little lightness to the adventure. The universe of a future world where the Moon colonized and influential to the war torn Earth is something I'd like to see more of. It's a shorter book, but well worth the time.
Robert
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well done (especially for a Nanomo project) science fiction yarn.

The characters are nicely fleshed out and the background story seems to hold up. I think the science part is a bit more space opera than hard science fiction but that is a stylistic choice.
Jim Corbett
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it

An enjoyable read for a National Novel Writing Month book. It is paced well, with good suspension to keep you reading.
John Hester
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
You go Tom!
Michael
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable, simple romp into the near future
Jason
  • Blue Haired Alien Girlfriend
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • Astronauts and Heretics
  • The Little Universe
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • Realms Unreel
  • There Goes the Galaxy (There Goes the Galaxy #1)
  • Cheats, Cons, Swindles, and Tricks
  • How To Have An Almost Perfect Marriage
  • Bartending: Memoirs of an Apple Genius
  • Hal Spacejock 2: Second Course
  • The Man Who Cycled the Americas
  • Spalding's Scary Shorts
  • Gabriel's Redemption
Tom Merritt is a technology journalist and broadcaster. Tom has previously worked at TechTV, CNET and TWiT. He currently hosts the Sword and Laser book club podcast, Daily Tech News Show, Current Geek and Cordkillers among others.

photo by Andrew Mager
More about Tom Merritt...