Start by marking “Wormwood” as Want to Read:
Wormwood

Wormwood

(Wormwood #1)

Warning: There are reports of readers flinging their devices (one reader allegedly threw her Kindle three times) and ignoring their lives while reading Wormwood. The author does not assume responsibility for such awesomely reactive responses.

Angels. Demons. Love. Deceit.

It appears as though every task Tiamat is ordered to carry out tears at his soul; but how can I know if that’s true? How can/>It/>Angels.
Published September 26th 2011 by Black Wraith Books (first published September 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wormwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wormwood

The IX by Andrew P. WestonThe Secret of Excalibur by Sahara FoleyBear of a Storm by Sahara FoleyExordium of Tears by Andrew P. WestonWormwood by D.H. Nevins
New Fantasy Novels
41 books — 70 voters
Isle of Winds by James FahyDrowned Tomb by James FahyChains of Gaia by James FahyHell's Teeth by James FahyCrescent Moon by James Fahy
NEW BOOKS TO WATCH
1,205 books — 1,536 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Wormwood
Midu Hadi
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who wouldn't mind a religious flavor in their PA books
The author was kind enough to give me a copy of her book and too sweet to ask for a review. So here goes:
the book was the right length and I didn't mind the cliffhanger at the end because the main conflict of the book was resolved.
I really liked Kali-how she fought to stay alive and never gave up. Her optimism was her strength. However, she showed the typical YA heroine indecisiveness- I love Tiamat, I hate him.
Another thing I found to be odd was that Kali wasn't a religious pe
Kathleen
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have a confession. Before reading Wormwood, I was not a huge fan of either post-apocalypse and/or angel storylines. But I heard so many wonderful things about this book that I had to put aside my previous likes and dislikes and give this one a go. And boy am I glad that I did! I cannot say enough about Wormwood. D.H. Nevins did a beautiful job setting up this story to feel like you are right there with Kali as the apocalypse is happening. She is a really strong, independent chick who was put i ...more
Mike Berry
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wormwood is D.H.Nevins' first novel, and quite simply it's a hell of a debut. It tells the story of a tormented angel, the titular Wormwood, and the fulfilment of his destiny to destroy the earth. Wormwood is one of the Nephilim, a group of angels sent to bring humanity to judgement. Nevins' humanisation of these creatures captivated me. They are at once mythical, larger than life, and yet also understandable as people.

Kali, the main character of the piece, is extremely believable. H
Misty Battle
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I contacted this author about doing a book review on her book Wormwood. I stepped outside my genre in hopes of finding something fresh for my mind to absorb. The reviews preexisting were fabulous, so I had to get my hands on a copy of this book. Not to mention the trailer left you wanting to know the main characters, their struggles, and how it ended. I was pleasantly surprised that the book immediately jumped into the action. There was no long build-up I am used to. It grabbed your attention fr ...more
Brandee (un)Conventional Bookworms
Wormwood is a post-apocalyptic tale told through the eyes of one who survived it, as she interacts with the one who was the implement of all the destruction. It is a gripping tale with so many plot twists and turns. It is grim and bleak, but imparted with gorgeous prose.

Kali Michaels, our heroine, is enjoying a hike in the woods around her home when the world begins to disintegrate around her. Making her way to a ridge, while dodging falling trees and boulders, she comes across a man
Jeannie Walker
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The mythical creatures in this novel are larger than life. The author shows the readers glimpses that the main character, Kali Michaels, is a strong and fascinating woman. Early in her life, she meets a man with whom she feels a strong attachment. Her world turns upside down when years later she finds the same man standing in the same place on the mountain peak. She learns he is a half-human, half-angel that helped destroy Earth to send God's children home for judgment. Kali learns many things f ...more
Carlyle Labuschagne
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Danielle Harding writes so beautifully. Delivers the story with exceptional grace and style. This is one of those books I will read again, and let me tell you I have not reread any of my books yet. But Wormwood needs to be reread, it is way too intense to grasp the first time round. Its vividness captures you from the first page . A new kind of tormented romance that is absolutely captivating, its deep and powerful. Kali is girl I wish I could be, she is way to strong and highly modest, her comp
Haley

“Oh, the perils of love… someone always gets screwed over on an exponential scale.”

It took me a while to digest this book completely. I was not expecting to love this book that much. The author and I communicated a bit before I was offered the book in exchange for an honest review, and I wasn’t sure what to think. I’ll try to sum it up quickly for you. I also want to say that the author is the sweetest person who genuinely wants feedback about her book. She takes time out of
Jonathon Dyer
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Before I begin this review, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I would mention that while I have never met the author face to face (we live on opposite sides of the planet), I have nonetheless had occasion to exchange emails with Ms Nevins, via Goodreads, and have found her to be a charming and thoughtful correspondent. This review is based on the Kindle edition of her novel, Wormwood. I bought that copy through Amazon.com (for an unreasonably low 99c) and read it on my Kindle. Ms Nevins has not in any way trieWormwood.Goodreads, ...more
Laura Thomas
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In the beginning you are introduced to Kali. She is a trail guide at Pinecrest National Park. A quiet hike up to her favorite spot, Lookout Peak, starts out normally enough, but a light breeze quickly becomes a tree snapping gale. The once clear skies have turned a heavy gray-black, the clouds tumbling over each other as they race towards her.
This would not be so bad if the woods hadn't suddenly gone silent. Not a sound could be heard. The winds had stopped and all was still. Not even a bi
Beth
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
100 Nephilim, super powerful half human half angels beings, are given the task to clean the earth of all human life. It is judgment day, and the Nephilim are tasked with returning all humans to their spiritual forms. Kali, in an attempt to escape the devastation, runs a trail to the top of a cliff where she finds Tiamat, someone she met 10 years prior. Tiamat, is actually one of the Nephilim who has destroyed her world and even killed her father. Tiamat struggles with his mission because he has ...more
Jeanine
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author was kind enough to provide me a coupon for this book. I will say that I would have purchased it anyway! The story was extremely well written and the story was gripping. It kept me turning page after page after page although in the back of my mind I was dreading the fact that it had to end! I really hope there is a sequel in the works! I would hate to think that was the end of Kali and Tiamet - I hope to meet them again in another book....
VWrulesChick
The apocalypse story takes place as the world is being swallowed and torn up by an angel or demon, Tiamat, but Kali does not know that yet. Kali is spared, but why? What is her purpose in all this? and who is this Tiamat? Follow her in her adventure as she tries to understand her beginnings and her purpose in this new Earth of and the what her future may hold with the Nephilims. Recommend.
R. Grey Hoover
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wormwood is the story of a young woman trying to survive the destruction of the world by a legion of God's angels. The twists and turns that the author introduces in her rich literary style will keep you glued to this enchanting tale. I highly recommend this book and this author.
Christine Butler
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Nevins writing is sheer genius, well thought out, extremely well written, and polished to perfection. Wormwood is a book I want to keep on my shelf, in my collection, to be able to pick up and return to on a whim.
Zuleeza
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the author to improve on her work
REVIEW: To be fair to the author (this is her debut book), I will try to be as extensive as I can be in justifying why did this book was rated two stars.

The title: Worm + wood? While I do know that the entire word 'Wormwood' carries different meanings literally and also textually in this book, I personally still don't find it any more appealing.

The cover: Again, I do understand that this meant to be a self-published book, but my love for photography betrays every of my attempt to like the cover.

The plot: Honestly, I meant to read this book afcover.
Theappealing.
Thestars.
The
Ketty
First things first, I received a copy of this book free from the author for an honest review.

Where do I begin with this book? I spent the time wavering on my feelings about it. I liked it, I hated it, I liked it, I hated it…and in the end I like it. I wanted to love it! The author made such a sweet comment in the e-mail delivering the copy of the book that it jumped up to the top of my reading list. I wanted desperately to love this book, and in the end, I love Tiamat; the rest is eh.
I ho
Sandy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I was reading this story, my mind was already creating an outline for the review. Love, hate, hate, love. However, after the last word was read, I froze. That final sentence felt like a knife being plunged into my heart. My spirit was faltering. The ending eluded to grim determination. I am still pondering the final conversation, which takes me back to a previous conversation. I don’t want him to be telling the truth, but it all makes twisted sense. He has to know exactly who she is. Why didn ...more
Sulagna Mondal
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Read full review on https://bookgirlsulagna.blogspot.in/2...

Author D. H. Nevins has done a tremendous job in creating a dystopic world that scares you. Her descriptions of the catastrophe in the book and it's deadly inhabitants are intimidating. She paints the new world's landscape for us and also its multi-dimensional inhabitants. The sexual tension between Kali and Tiamat adds spice to the book and also gives a perception about their complicated relationship.

After a long time, I read a book with a dystopic world
Bena Roberts

Wormwood by D.H. Nevins

Good/ Bad Hell/ Heaven Demons and Angels..

The Good
The author's ability to write well shines through this book. When there isn't dialogue the opening scene was well written and captivating.

The Bad
I think there is a lot of dialogue and the initial dialogue with Tiamat got a bit boring for me. I realize it was setting the scene of the past and the present but there was a repetition. The constant love-hate between the destruction of the wor
L.D.
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a obsessor of all things 'Angel' and 'Nephilim', I literally could not put this book down.

It took me ONE day to read it, and I devoured it like my life depended on finishing the story.

As an Independent author, I can only praise Ms. Nevins for her attention to detail, and explanation when it came to the Nephilim, and the working biology of their bodies and wings.

Originally it was the blurb that caught my attention, specifically the word "nephilim." But once I started r
Ellie Midwood
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Wormwood” was a fascinating read. It starts with an ordinary girl, Kali, having yet another ordinary day doing what she loves doing the most - hiking in the woods which she knows like the back of her hand. However, after a second fateful encounter with a mysterious man from her past, Kali’s whole life will change, together with the world around her.
The perfect blend of supernatural and a post-apocalyptic world was wonderfully delivered. The atmosphere, dark and brooding, offered no hope at fir
Jenn
I received this book for review from Voracious Readers.

Nevins plummets the reader into the apocalypse through the eyes of Kali Michaels. Niphelim are walking the Earth and destroying everything upon it for the end of the world. Kali gets tangled up in the politics, death, and destruction but survives. Follow Kali through the vast destruction as she tries to do what is right all the while fights her love of one of these half human/half angel beings.

Fantastic imagery, good
C.A. King
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about nightmares - one particular dream the author describes had enough gore to give me one! Yikes! Blood on new snow is quite a visual!

Anytime you read in the description that a book is about angels expect there to be some religion in the book - of some sort. Wormwood is no different having a christian base. My personal preference lies in fictional religions and gods. I am glad this book wasn't over-the-top in preaching. Although, I do think characters need to believe in God to
Kim
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characters
Kali is a conflicted character, devastated by her loss and confused by remaining relationships. She is determined to survive, even if there is little to actually live for. I sometimes felt thrown by her reactions to situations, which reduced my ability to form a connection with her. I don’t feel as though I know her character as well as I should now that I have finished the book. However, this is only book one and she still has space to grow and develop.

Tiamat is also conflicted b
Shelley
Jun 09, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guest
Author's guest post at my blog:
Sherry Fundin
I was walking along Cedar Creek Trail, my usual route. All of a sudden, the wind blew like an omen of doom, the ground felt like a roller coaster under my feet and as rocks fell around me, I ran, trying to find a safe place to hide. As I reached the cliff, the ground there was stable, but I looked down and saw lava, smoke, and ash.Total destruction.

As I reached the fire pit I would sit around with the campers I brought as a guide, I saw it was still alive, telling me someone was ther
Josée Wice
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not keep this book down very interesting story line and the characters keep you on edge of your seat.
Kayla Krantz
When I started reading this book, I wasn’t sure what to expect but I immediately loved the MC, Kali’s, personality. She’s witty and sarcastic so when she meets Tiamat, a strange and beautiful man, I was interested to see where the story would go. The next time she meets him is five years later, after he and his brothers have destroyed mankind and the Earth along with them.

From there, the action picked up quite nicely and the author’s writing style had both sweet moments as Kali tries to adjust
Krazykiwi
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wormwood This one jumps right into the story and gets right into the action, with little buildup, which is a big plus. A self-confident heroine who has her world, quite literally, shaken apart, so she spends the rest of the story just trying to walk on quicksand, and a hero who is quite the epitome of glorious bastard.

If any storyline invited deus ex machina, considering this one literally begins with a literal act of god, there's surprisingly little of it. And while our heroine is
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add one more book to my series 3 186 Jan 04, 2018 04:08PM
Book Giveaways: Wormwood by D. H. Nevins 1 2 Sep 22, 2015 06:45AM
Read 4 Review: Wormwood - free for reviewers 1 15 Jul 08, 2013 04:22PM
Read 4 Review: Wormwood - free for reviewers 1 15 Jul 08, 2013 04:18PM
Lovers of Paranor...: This topic has been closed to new comments. R2R {209} Wormwood COMPLETED 7 74 Jun 25, 2013 05:06PM
Making Connections: Angels. Demons. Love. Deceit. Wormwood is only 99 cents! 1 6 Apr 01, 2013 12:06PM
Indie Authors Mon...: RaR - Wormwood 1 16 Mar 31, 2013 01:25PM

• The House of Twelve
  • The Untold Tale (The Accidental Turn, #1)
  • Daughter of the Sun (Cult of the Cat #1)
  • Bound Sorcery: (Shadows of Magic, #1)
  • Rucaern Orb (Gray Sphere #1)
  • Joe Coffin, Season One
  • Tardy Bells and Witches' Spells (Womby's School for Wayward Witches, #1)
  • Aerisia: Land Beyond The Sunset (The Sunset Lands Beyond, #1)
  • Knight of the Hunted: A YA Menage Paranormal Romance (Born Vampire #1)
  • Clio at War
  • Excalibur Rising (Excalibur, #1)
  • Whom the Gods Love (God & Mortals, #1)
  • The Redemption of Erâth: Consolation (The Redemption of Erâth #1)
  • Dragon Hoard and Other Tales of Faerie
  • Get Out Of My Dreams (Joe the Magic Man Series Book 1)
  • Deference (Temper, #1)
  • Gloom Rising (The Book Wielder Saga, #1)
  • Bloodmaiden
D.H. Nevins was born in Toronto and currently lives in a quiet area of Ontario, surrounded by forests and lakes. By day, she is a personable, friendly school teacher. By night, she silently chuckles as she writes about destroying the world. When she isn't writing, she enjoys hiking, camping, flying around on her motorcycle or dabbling in live theatre.

Wormwood (3 books)
  • Angel of Shadow (Wormwood #2)
  • And from the Shadow, Light (Wormwood #3)
“Your lineage does not dictate your nature.” 0 likes