Start by marking “Preaching and Preachers” as Want to Read:
Preaching and Preachers

Preaching and Preachers

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  1,963 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
In Preaching and Preachers, the author states unapologetically his attitudes about his role in the church and explains his methodology, all the while addressing various problems and questions that have been put to him.
Published January 24th 2012 by Zondervan (first published March 3rd 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Preaching and Preachers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preaching and Preachers

Drew Miller
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preaching
There isnt much I can say about this book that others haven't. It is a must read for new and old pastors alike as well as those contemplating pastoral ministry. This book reaffirmed my lack of calling to pastoral ministry but as someone who desires to disciple young men, some of which may be called to ministry, this book was extremely helpful. Dr Martyn Lloyd Jones is extremely dogmatic, which I love. While I do not agree with everything he says in this book I do agree with the majority of it. I ...more
Scott
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
About "Preaching & Preachers" Warren Wiersbe said, "I urge my fellow preachers to read this book at least twice: once to disagree and once to be helped."

I think this most adequately describes my feelings toward my first read of P&P. This was my first foray into the world of DM Lloyd-Jones and I did not know what to expect except for the fact that most preachers I admire, admire Lloyd-Jones.

At this time I don't feel like giving an in depth review, but instead will give some general though
Jeff Shelnutt
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“What is the chief end of preaching?” asks Lloyd-Jones. “I like to think it is this. It is to give men and women a sense of God and His presence.”

And it is to this end the the author draws from his own vast experience to instruct others who are called to preach. This book reads exactly like what it is: a compilation of lectures given by Lloyd-Jones to theological students in 1969.

Mincing no words, the author is opinionated and direct, logic-driven yet passionate. There is plenty here with which
Brantley Rutz
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for pastors and those called to the pastorate. While I don't agree with everything "the Doctor" says, I believe he does a phenomenal job espousing in great detail the seriousness of the preacher and the dire need of true preaching.

If you are called to preach, read this book.
Daniel Ligon
If you’ve ever had a favorite professor, and it didn’t matter what he was teaching, you just enjoyed sitting and listening to him- that’s what it feels like to read this book! Preaching and Preachers is a compilation of a series of lectures D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (toward the end of his ministry) gave at Westminster Theological Seminary in 1969. Don’t worry, it doesn’t feel dated! Jones critiques many things in the Evangelical movement of his day and says that he’s seen them all before under diffe ...more
Ian Rees
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a life-shaping book for me. I had a sense of God's call to preach and this was the first book I read to help me understand what it is all about. It was from him that I gained a sense of the heavenly calling of the preacher. I had to learn that no-one else can preach like him and that he had very particular views on what a preacher should or shouldn't do (e.g. he said a preacher shouldn't collect funny stories or illustrations because that would be too professional and might tempt a prea ...more
Eric Durso
Great, inspiring, and controversial. Here's one I'll come back to regularly.
John Yelverton
I felt the book was very conflicted in it's advice to young ministers and was really not worth the time.
Zack
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply convicting. Lloyd-Jones has given us an extended illustration of the primary function of the church in every age. Preachers, whatever your theological persuasion, this book will push you, and maybe even offend you, at points. But it ought also to inspire you.
Ryan Richetto
This goes on my re-read list.
David Steele
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Preaching and Preachers by Dr. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones is a wonderful book that emphasizes the man more than the art of preaching and spiritual preparation more than sermon preparation. The author contends that the most urgent trend in the church and world is true preaching. While the book was published in 1971, I believe the Doctor would cling to his original statement if he were alive today.

The author discusses the reason for preaching’s decline and makes the case for the priority of preaching b
Bill
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MLJ's classic on preaching was more readable that I expected! Inspiring and encouraging, practical and anecdotal, passionate and biblical. Because Lloyd-Jones is so black and white about every issue, he is entertaining to read - you either agree wholeheartedly or disagree wholeheartedly. A few highlights:

- I really appreciate his passionate defence of preaching as the primary and central activity of ministry.
- The purpose of preaching: A transforming encounter with God.
- The content of preach
Clayton Hutchins
Very good. Lots of interesting anecdotes. Lloyd-Jones tends to make a lot of absolute and generalized statements, so you may find yourself disagreeing or wanting to throw in some caveats here and there (I certainly did). Read Stott for a more careful, precise understanding of preaching; read Lloyd-Jones just for the fun of it. Another drawback is that Lloyd-Jones' low church preferences lead him to neglect altogether the question of the significance of the sermon as part of the church's liturgy. ...more
CJ Bowen
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stuff from a wise and powerful preacher. The conversational style makes it a fast and enjoyable read. Strengths are L-J's constant focus on the Spirit, and the resulting exhortations to leave room for the Spirit in preparation and delivery, and the constant allergic reaction to professionalism. Weaknesses would be the way preaching has subtly displaced the Word from the center. For all his worry about over-intellectualizing the sermon, L-J's counsel has the effect of over-intellectualizing ...more
Mark A Powell
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What makes a man a preacher? What place does preaching have? What constitutes a good sermon? These are among the many questions that Lloyd-Jones addresses in this book – originally a series of lectures. He is helpfully blunt and forceful in his assertions, and I agree with far more of his claims than not. Preaching is a challenging task and the stakes are high. Lloyd-Jones has provided an insightful resource into the heart of this important work.
Aaron Carlberg
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because my friend Paul told me about it. It is OK, but it didn't keep my attention as I went through it. I think I left and came back to the book something like 5 times (it is Jones' lectures in book form). In the end it is worth the read, especially the comments at the end of various chapter's by people like Tim Keller. I only got the kindle edition, so I cannot speak to any others.
Ray Ciervo
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I read Preachers and Preaching in Bible school forty years ago. I shaped how I preached by shaping how I prepared. It also shaped how I listened to preaching. Lloyd-Jones was an extremely gifted, committed man. His sermons were excellent as were his books (transcribed sermons).
Pete Williamson
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preaching
After a long interval, I've returned to this book and wonder why it hasn't rated higher in my library. Easily one of the top 5 books on the subject of preaching that I've read to this point and one that I hope to make a more constant companion in my reading from here on out.
Stephen Woodard
Ought to be required reading for anyone perusing ministry. Whether its "the best book in preaching" is up for debate but one thing is certain, Lloyd-Jones will create in you a fire for the ministry of God's word that is unmatched in today's how-to's. Pick it up and fall in love with preaching
Demetrius Rogers
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ministry, preaching
This book was very helpful to me. Sometimes Lloyd-Jones comes off a bit opinionated and I don't agree with some of his conclusions. But I don't need to agree with a man on all points to benefit from his insight. This is worth multiple readings.
Mark Hogan
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book full of practical wisdom and discernment in regard to preaching. I didn't agree with everything, but this book was incredibly engaging.
mpsiple
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good. Lloyd-Jones loved preaching, and this book makes you want to love it like he did.
Ernesto Alaniz
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book dates back to 1972. It is not old, but it is older than most of the dreck my generation is reading. It is also from across the pond, which is refreshing due to its straightforward and discompassionate style of writing. The book is about preaching and preachers. Funny how things work.

Now, there are a few moments where Lloyd-Jones takes stands on current issues of his day that are long dead and gone. This is humorous and kinda lame. This is why a preacher needs to be careful to put all
Aaron Ventura
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily the most convicting and helpful book on preaching that I have read thus far.

"There are men who think that they are preaching the Gospel when actually in fact they are simply saying things about the Gospel."

"The man who tries to be humorous is an abomination and should never be allowed to enter a pulpit."

Mike
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a book written almost half a century ago, Martyn Lloyd-Jones touches on a number of topics that are still relevant to the current state of American evangelicalism. Whether it’s technology and media influences, the cult of personality, a waning trust in the effectiveness of preaching or the shallowness of sermons, Lloyd-Jones points out many of the ailments of our current church culture.

The major emphasis of the book is a theology of preaching and its need for today’s church. While Lloyd-Jon
Nicholas Lewis
Dr. Lloyd Jones' work is the great manifesto of preaching with a solid biblical foundation, fantastic practical points, and a blood-earnestness for preaching that is inspiring and convicting. Despite its dogmatic nature on certain aspects of preaching, none can refute that no other preaching book has been more influential for the preacher of the 20th and 21st century.
Ciprian Dragut
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. If you're a preacher then you have to read it.
Joshua Berner
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homiletics
Along with Preaching and Preachers, Lloyd-Jones' lectures-made-book is among the most valuable in the area of homiletics.
Roy
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
The book can be dismissed as just the opinions of one preacher. But, given who the preacher was, such opinions should not be lightly dismissed.
Craig Hurst
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preaching
“The most urgent need in the Christian Church today is true preaching; and as it is the greatest and most urgent need in the Church, it is obviously the greatest need of the world also” (p. 17)

It is with these timeless words that Martin Lloyd-Jones begins Preaching & Preachers which is one of the most classic books on preaching. Lloyd-Jones faithfully ministered to the congregation at Westminster Chapel in London for over thirty years and the thousands of sermons he preached there echo throu
  • Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism
  • The Reformed Pastor
  • Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages
  • Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture: The Application of Biblical Theology to Expository Preaching
  • Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Church
  • Preaching Christ in All of Scripture
David Martyn Lloyd-Jones was a Welsh Protestant minister, preacher and medical doctor who was influential in the Reformed wing of the British evangelical movement in the 20th century. For almost 30 years, he was the minister of Westminster Chapel in London. Lloyd-Jones was strongly opposed to Liberal Christianity, which had become a part of many Christian denominations; he regarded it as aberrant. ...more
More about D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones...
“[The] term ‘decide’ has always seemed to me to be quite wrong…A sinner does not ‘decide’ for Christ; the sinner ‘flies’ to Christ in utter helplessness and despair saying —
Foul, I to the fountain fly,
Wash me, Saviour, or I die.
No man truly comes to Christ unless he flies to Him as his only refuge and hope, his only way of escape from the accusations of conscience and the condemnation of God’s holy law. Nothing else is satisfactory. If a man says that having thought about the matter and having considered all sides he has on the whole decided for Christ, and if he has done so without any emotion or feeling, I cannot regard him as a man who has been regenerated. The convicted sinner no more ‘decides’ for Christ than the poor drowning man ‘decides’ to take hold of that rope that is thrown to him and suddenly provides him with the only means of escape. The term is entirely inappropriate.”
12 likes
“A man who imagines that because he has a head full of knowledge that he is sufficient for these things had better start learning again. ‘Who is sufficient for these things?’ What are you doing? You are not simply imparting information, you are dealing with souls, you are dealing with pilgrims on the way to eternity, you are dealing with matters not only of life and death in this world, but with eternal destiny.” 9 likes