Start by marking “Singularity (Star Carrier, #3)” as Want to Read:
Singularity (Star Carrier, #3)

Singularity (Star Carrier #3)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  2,683 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews

There is an unseen power in the universe--a terrible force that was dominating the galaxy tens of thousands of years before the warlike Sh'daar were even aware of the existence of Sol and its planets.

As humankind approaches the Singularity, when transcendence will be achieved through technology, contact will be made.

In the wake of the near destruction of the solar system,

Mass Market Paperback, 389 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Singularity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singularity

GaiusPrimus
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I don't generally write reviews for the books I finish reading, but I must make an exception for this one.

One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to writers is the "sausage stuffing" methodology of descriptive info dumps. Science fiction being one of my favorite genres, I have learned to deal with the fact that authors sometimes need to do this in order to explain a particular point in the universe they have created.

A necessary evil of the genre, Mr. Douglas turns this into a dis-art form. D
Andreas
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Book three seamlessly segues from the end of Center of Gravity. Admiral Koenig leads the battlegroup further into Sh’daar territory, towards the enigmatic center of the Sh’daar civilization. Meanwhile Lieutenant Grey’s personal odyssey continues.

I was disappointed with the last book in the trilogy. The action is still good, but it is upstaged by the exploration of the enigma that is the Sh’daar. Wormholes, discussions about transcendence and the evolution of civilizations abound. Douglas has tho
Carter MR Hanson
As with the two previous "Carrier" books, Singularity is an action-packed book that manages to be thought-provoking without being stale and over-explaining.

The rest of this review has spoilers, so read at your own risk.

"Singularity" does an excellent job of portraying the desperation of Koenig to bring an end to the Sha'dar war, and his own deteriorating mental state, with him grappling with having to decide the fates of everyone in his rag-tag fleet, and with the loss of his lover Admiral Karyn
Nathaniel
May 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
So this is the third book in Ian Douglas's Star Carrier series. For me, the series lost steam around this point. Eventually, the obsessive anti-religious weirdness started to outweigh the fun of the action scenes, especially since not a lot was really being added to the series by this point. Instead, it was mostly just winding down events and theories from the first couple of books.

I'm also kind of tired sci-fi's ongoing enactment of what is (to me) a superficial and shallow view of sexuality t
Mike
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Singularity closes out the first installment in the Star Carrier story and does little to diverge from its predessors:
-It has neat space battles based around actual physics
-An intriging universe populated by interesting aliens
-A very engaging plot arc and a very fast paced narrative.

It also has its share of deficiencies as well:
-Absurdly thin, and comcially "evil" politicaian characters. Basically if a character is from North America they are good/righteous/"just want to get the job done and sav
Conal
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-sf
This review will be for the complete first three book arc of this series. This novel reminded me a lot of the Jack Campbell Lost Fleet series as there was lots of space battles with ship to ship action. In this series, humans are fighting multiple alien species and not other human groups and for the most part are behind them technologically but the author makes up for this in the tenaciousness of the human fighting spirit. The author also does a pretty good job in fleshing out the multiple main ...more
Michael Perry
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pretty fast paced, until the last 50 or so pages. The formula is the same as the previous two books, many of the revelations are the same, not too surprising at the end. Mr. Douglas did present an interesting challenge to write with the conclusion of the trilogy. If I had read these with the roughly year break between I would have little to criticize, but I did read them back to back to back, and the story became a bit repetitive. Overall, a good story, a good trilogy... just some advice; read s ...more
Grant Kisling
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, kindle
A great ending to the Star Carrier Trilogy. My complaints about the first two books continue in this book; too much reiteration of facts, stories, and events from the first two books. There are entire sections I must skip over because its the 3rd time I have read them.

Despite this large complaint, the action is exciting and complex. The characters are fairly strong and the events leading up to the conclusion are satisfying.
Dave Allan
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have been waiting for this book for months....I will post a review after I complete it!
Clint
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
If we are stuck to our old national identities and caste system we will not make it to the stars. And star carriers, come on... I like all the fun tech and advances, intrigued by the "Singularity" of technological idea but found my attention wandering (and wondering) as either the story or the listener got sidetracked.
The ending 3 22 Apr 18, 2014 06:19PM
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
  • Blood Contact (Starfist, #4)
  • For Honor We Stand
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • Rebellion (Star Force, #3)
  • Vorpal Blade (Looking Glass, #2)
  • Invincible (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #2)
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • A Little Rebellion (Crimson Worlds #3)
  • Starship: Rebel (Starship, #4)
  • Fermi's War (Battlecruiser Alamo, #2)
  • Tenacious (Kris Longknife, #12)
  • What Price Honour (Merkiaari Wars, #2)

Star Carrier (7 books)
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
  • Center of Gravity (Star Carrier, #2)
  • Deep Space (Star Carrier, #4)
  • Dark Matter (Star Carrier, #5)
  • Deep Time (Star Carrier #6)
  • Dark Mind (Star Carrier #7)