Start by marking “Joni: An Unforgettable Story” as Want to Read:
Joni: An Unforgettable Story

Joni: An Unforgettable Story

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  23,553 Ratings  ·  281 Reviews
The award-winning story of a young woman who triumphed over devastating odds to touch countless lives the world over with the healing message of Christ. Includes photos and illustrations by Joni. In a split second on a hot July afternoon, a diving accident transformed the life of Joni Eareckson Tada forever. She went from being an active young woman to facing every day in ...more
Published August 5th 2001 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Joni, please sign up.
Laurie Beth You can check out her website for an update on what she's up to these days. http://www.joniandfriends.org/

She also has a Facebook page: …more

She also has a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JoniEareckso...(less)

John
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an inspiring book!!! Joni is a person who refused to let circumstances defeat her. Her faith, her perseverance, her sheer determination brought about an amazing triumph of human spirit.
Raquel
I read this book because I'm working with a client on a book and he also has quadriplegia. He said that when he was first injured, this book helped him cope with his disability. I hoped the book would help provide some inspiration and structural ideas for me in my client's project.

Joni is a Christian, and almost the entire book is devoted to her relating to her injury in the context of Christianity. I understand that her faith was important to her in coping with the whys and the hows of her inju
Jennifer Tse
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I went to see Joni Eareckson Tada speak and was so enthralled by her that I borrowed this book immediately from the library. She is such a motivating and encouraging hero of faith. You will not be disappointed from reading her autobiography. She tells you what happened in such details that you feel like you are right there in the hospital after her diving accident. I also anguished when I read about her pain, suffering, and depression. I was so happy for her when she turned back to God and reali ...more
April
Powerful testament to the truth that even when we don't care about God, are mad at God, are bitter at God, or are running from God, He graciously makes himself known in our lives anyway. I am amazed that Ms. Eareckson Tada was able to surrender to God in such a way as to praise Him each morning though her heart cries out, "I can't 'do' quadriplegia anymore"! She really does "give thanks in all circumstances" (1 Thessalonians 5:18).
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, faith, read-alouds
What a blessing this book was as I read it with my 3 children. It lead to many fruitful discussions, and helped them see how God can work in the life of a young person like them (not just "old" people like me).
Funzee Shu
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it

I've read this book years ago...
Someone gave it to me, and her story still inspire me until today....

"God is good, all the time."
Sophie
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is a beautiful blessing, this story is remarkable.

Joni has touched millions of people and continues to do so. I watched her documentary long time ago, and when i saw her book i grabbed it, and will buy my personal copy as it opens up to pain, suffering, grace, hope, love, courage, support, resentment, gifts, blessings, relationships...

Anyone should read this book,

it really touched my heart, I will re-read it again and again because the heart-warming lessons Joni gives you, opens up y
Sara
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this when I was junior high. It was very inspirational. Many of my friends were reading it at that time. At one point, I acquired a few back issues of Western Horseman from the 1960's and in one of them I discovered a letter from Joni in the pen-pal section of the magazine, written before her paralysis. I still have that magazine.
Janna
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that shows faith and God's amazing plan for our lives. I rate this book five stars because it shows that we are small but he is BIG!
LeAnne
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most God-glorifying autobiographies I have read.
Margaret
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a teen. I think it was instrumental in making me believe I could do anything...I had no excuses. It also made me more grateful for the things I had. Wonderful book!
Merlin
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Merlin by: Linn Abraham
This is a very good book that guides us to blindly believe and trust in the Lord...The story confirms the truth that "all things work together for good to them that love God".
Claire
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved hearing Joni herself narrate this.
Sue
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
In a sense this isn’t a direct autobiography. We meet Joni at the start of the book when she feels as if she is drowning after bumping her head, until she is rescued by one of her sisters. It’s a huge shock to her system to find herself in hospital, unable to move anything other than her head. From dreams of college and independence, she is entirely dependent on the hospital staff, and unsure whether she will survive.

The rest of the book charts her progress, including two operations, and a great
Sue
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great, inspiring story
Revonda
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read Joni's book when I was in my 20's then read again just lately and watched the DVD made by I believe Billy Grahams Association. The book was very interesting, a tragedy, yet a book of redemption & how God can be with us and we are never alone. It was a story of a young girl that faced life's challenges in a very courageous manner esp. For her age. I recommend it to any age but I think young people would find the book intriguing & help them in seeing just how each of our lives conta ...more
Susie
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although I've known of Joni for years, I had never investigated her story fully. This honest account of a few years following her accident was very informative, and it created a desire in me to read her other book knowing that she did eventually marry. I had two major take-aways from the book. 1. We are all in danger of being caught in what she called the treadmill of life--eating, breathing, and sleeping, but many of us don't realize we're not living on purpose. 2. What we take in matters. Joni ...more
Margaret Metz
This is one of the first Christian biographies I read. It was very inspirational. Her story was very challenging and uplifting at the same time.
Victoria Lynn
A great inspirational and uplifting read.
Rose Dernoncourt
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read this ages ago when I first became a Christian. It is an amazing story of an amazing walk of faith!
NebraskaIcebergs
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Joni is a compelling story of an average athletic and church-going adolescent. Growing up, Joni enjoyed riding horses, hiking, tennis, and swimming. While she believed in God and knew scriptures, her spiritual walk was lukewarm. On July 30, 1967, Joni dove into Chesapeake Bay after misjudging the shallowness of the water. She suffered a fracture between the fourth and fifth cervical levels, which for some have meant death but for Joni instead resulted in her becoming a quadriplegic. In writing a ...more
Jerry
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good: Growing up both in a Christian home and with a handicapped sibling, I had heard the story of Joni Eareckson Tada over the years, but, to actually read what she went through and how she triumphed over dire circumstances was rather powerful. Instead of a whitewashed account of her Christian faith, it shows how she struggled with doubt, but learned the truth about God and His love. A very moving story...and all the more because it's 100% true.

The Bad: The formatting--wide margins, another
Taija
Those in favour of Euthanasia should read this woman’s testimony. Such a better message than the book Me Before You presents.

The writing of this book finished in 1975. If it were written today, Eareckson would include a message to those considering Euthanasia as a way out of their suffering. So many people are bent on avoiding pain at any cost, and real memoirs like this book and Paul Kalanithi’s book, When Breath Becomes Air, are what our society needs.
Holly Splawn
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A woman who suffers a terrible accident which renders her a quadriplegic realizes that "God engineered [her] circumstances. He used them to prove Himself as well as [her] loyalty... [that her] injury was not a tragedy but a gift God was using to help [her] conform to the image of Christ, something that would mean [her] ultimate satisfaction, happiness--even joy.
Leah
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As my first biography, I really enjoyed this book. A true testament to what God can do in ones life when we are willing to give him full control. Joni's story really is really encouraging in how she dealt with the loss of the use of her basic motor skills and how she learned to fully depend on God.
Rachel Schultz
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A well written telling of a beautiful life
Ricky Kimsey
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Struggles

This book covers the author's struggles both physically and spiritually after a diving accident leaves her a quadriplegic.
I've read this before in it's physical form but this edition adds an updated afterword and a list of resources for the disabled.
Delray Beach Public Library
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teens
In her autobiography, Joni Eareckson tells us how, in the face of darkness, she trusted God to get her through the toughest time in her life.Joni Eareckson was a normal seventeen-year-old. Having graduating high school, having many animals, and going to college, she had a perfect life.

Then, in July 1967, she dove into the Chesapeake Bay. Suddenly, her head hit something hard, and the next thing she knew she was lying face down at the bottom of the bay. She couldn’t move, couldn’t feel anything f
John
Mar 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I found this book on my bookshelf. My mother had given it to me 38 years ago, and I read it then, but I decided to read it again because I know people who have disabilities, and who have found Christ as their salvation, and I wanted to understand how they used their faith to overcome the mental and physical torment they suffered.
Joni suffered a diving accident when aged 17. She broke her neck at C4-C5 resulting in quadraplegia. I personally have C5-C6 thinning, and therefore I can relate - albei
Joy E. Rancatore
Joni Eareckson's candid, transparent recounting of her recovery from a nearly life-threatening diving accident provides encouragement, comfort and motivation for all who read Joni. This is the first edition of Eareckson's autobiography; but several newer editions are available, I believe.

While in her mid-twenties, Joni shared in this book the struggles of learning to not only accept life as a quadriplegic but also to embrace and thank God for it. She was only 17 when she broke her neck after div
  • A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall
  • Just as I Am
  • By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith
  • The Cross and the Switchblade
  • Run Baby Run
  • Peace Child: An Unforgetting Story of Primitive Jungle Teaching in the 20th Century
  • I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God
  • God's Smuggler
  • End of the Spear
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • In the Presence of My Enemies
  • The Autobiography of George Muller
  • Rebel with a Cause
Previously published as Joni Eareckson

Joni Eareckson Tada is CEO of Joni and Friends, an organization that accelerates Christian outreach in the disability community. Joni and Friends provides practical support and spiritual help to special-needs families worldwide, and equips thousands of churches in developing disability ministry. Joni is the author of numerous bestselling books, including When
More about Joni Eareckson Tada

$6.99 $2.99
  • Hello Mornings: How to Build a Grace-Filled, Life-Giving Morning Routine
  • Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her
    $13.99 $1.99
“Only God is capable of telling us what our rights and needs are. You have to surrender that right to Him.” 22 likes
“But that's the same for everyone if we let society determine our value," Steve explained as he sat down on the piano bench. "We always lose when we evaluate ourselves according to some one else's ideas or standards. And there are as many standards as there are people. A jock measures you by your athletic ability; a student by your brains; a steady by your looks. It's a losing battle," he said, striking a sour piano chord for added emphasis. "We have to forget about what people say or think, and recognize that God's values are the only important ones.” 8 likes