Start by marking “Crude Sunlight” as Want to Read:
Crude Sunlight

Crude Sunlight

(Crude Sunlight #1)

The Buffalo State Asylum for the Insane is a grand and terrible building. Abandoned over forty years ago, its rooms and halls no longer ring with tortured screams.

When his younger brother goes missing, Thomas Verkraft comes to Buffalo to find him. Following a trail of black and white photographs and homemade videos, he tracks Henry down to the doors of the State Asylum.

Kindle Edition, TransientMe LLC, 241 pages
Published August 12th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Crude Sunlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crude Sunlight

Start your review of Crude Sunlight
Brooke
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, horror
The ease of self-publishing can be a little scary for a reader. On one hand, it opens up avenues for excellent writers who might not break into the traditional publishing industry. On the other, it floods GoodReads with book synopsis blurbs that leave any half-serious reader cringing and reaching for a weapon to kill all the misused commas and sentence fragments.

No weapons are needed when reading Philip Tucker's Crude Sunlight. The book is creepy and well-paced, and despite some superficial
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I must read a totally different depth of horror books to many reviewers of this book. Five star reviews that talk of how creepy and scary it is. Huh? It's not even going near creepy until the 90% mark and then what it delivers is not scary at all, the grand finale is not very grand. I was bored for most of this one.

It's a darn shame as the writing is good, but why on earth was this fluffed up with all the words prior to the semi-scary-but-not-really bit near the end? I have read much better
Tammy
Not only has Philip Tucker created an atmosphere of fear in this novel, he also highlights the weakness of human self interest and the damage it can do to the people around you.

Here is the book summary: Down in the depths below Buffalo's abandoned State Insane Asylum the shadows writhe and wait, hungry for a new cycle of revenge and despair.

Into their web of madness disappears Henry, forcing his older brother to begin a search that will lead Thomas into the darkest corners of his soul.

For the
Marvin
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Lord knows I love my gory horror novels but it is nice to know that there are new writers out there who know how to write a horror novel that actually uses characterization and atmosphere, rather than blood and guts, to elicit fright and dread. Philip Tucker is one such writer. Crude Sunlight is the type of novel that is more invested in psychological horror than the explicit gruesome type. It is a bit retro, owing much to earlier psychological horror novels like Shirley Jackson's The Haunting ...more
Lauren
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Crude Sunlight, by Philip Tucker is a horror novel that takes place in the present day. After the disappearance of his brother Henry, Thomas treks to Buffalo to collect the belongings that Henry left behind. Filled with a lack of understanding of his brother, Thomas begins a journey to unveil the circumstances of Henry’s disappearance. Aided by Julia and Eric, friends of the lost brother, Thomas descends into the halls and tunnels of the abandoned State Insane Asylum in search of Henry who had ...more
Tim
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well , I was randomly trolling through goodreads and I saw Crude Sunlight in the "Readers Also Enjoyed" column and gave it a click, and thus my journey began. The Ebook is available to read on Goodreads for free but i decided to go with the the $2.99 Kindle purchase as I prefer not to read on a computer screen.

Well I am very glad I chose this book on a whim. One thing I really enjoyed about the novel was Tucker's ability to describe little details that other authors can miss.
Rising to his
James Jr.
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Using gripping and oftentimes elegant prose, Tucker tells a most imaginative ghost story that spans several generations, claiming one victim after another, as each willingly hands over their lives to the ghoul before. No one is spared, and even Thomas finds himself perilously close to succumbing as well, as he attempts to make things right with a brother he hardly knew, at the expense of a wife that will not wait forever for him to decide just what it is that he wants out of life.

"Crude
Bon
Very well done.
Seth
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little slow at first but once you get past it, definitely a good read.
Irene
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Henry has disappeared. His brother, Thomas, after having the police unsuccessfully search for him, assumes Henry went off on a trip without telling anyone. More time goes by and Thomas decides to go to Buffalo, New York, where Thomas was living, to see if he can find a clue as to Henry’s whereabouts.

Thomas discovers that his brother has developed a hobby – urban exploration. He finds photographs and videos shot while Henry and his friends were exploring under the abandoned State Hospital.
Marissa Farrar
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
'Crude Sunlight' is exactly the sort of novel I love. It's subtle, but still manages to be full of creepiness. Ultimately 'Crude Sunlight' is a ghost story and the ghosts are written very well. There is no blood or gore, just a fantastic atmosphere that sends shivers down the spine.

The characters are all well-developed and totally believable. Each one has their flaws, yet I couldn't help but be behind them every step of the way. There is a thread of romance, which always endeers characters to
Char
This book was free a few weeks back so I thought I would give it a try.
To start: I had high hopes for this story. The characters were interesting enough to keep my attention through about 70% in.
Then all of a sudden, things went downhill. This is not to say that the first 70% was fabulous, because it wasn't. There were numerous errors in this book-everything from misspelled words to words that were out of order or completely missing.
But, back to the story. I continued reading because I really
Malory
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gritty, sludgy indelicate to a bursting point. Tuckers fledgling yarn is a dark thrash in the yard, a splotchy tableau vivant in the dim-dark bunker of genre writing. Sunlights immediate draw is the murky, dozy temper of writing, saddling a dread flourish and whipping air into deep night; the narrative is a crawling and cold somnambulism, leavened to a bloat by choices of skillfully-sectioned prose, needled by a fixed intelligence of the genre and some forgivable prodding of the immaculate ...more
Libby
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was Tucker's first novel. However I have to say he builds the anxiety and tension in this eerie tale as well or better than many veteran writers. It is a bit slow in the first chapters, but trust me, read on. This tale is a shiver your toenails, don't read it late at night, chill fest. I despise reviews that tell too much of the story because I want to read without someone else's thoughts intruding. To avoid spoilers, I'll just say that our narrator Thomas is looking for his brother Henry ...more
Kathryn Flatt
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Having been focused on writing my own novels of late, I have not done much reading in the last few years. A few times, I went to the library, picked up some mysteries and thrillers, but often could not finish them because, frankly, I figured out how they were going to end much too early and/or was not engaged enough by the characters to really care. And some of these were from big name authors.

Not so with Crude Sunlight. The story pulled me in immediately, made me want to read on to find out
Kelly
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I am on the fence with this one. I was very up and down interest-wise reading through to the end. But, something about Mr. Tucker's style kept me interested (he can definitely set a mood and he has a great descriptive style). There were a few holes in the story for me and I didn't fully connect with the main characters. The ending was built up and you thought Thomas might actually stand up and not run, which he does, and he comes to terms with himself, but it just ends. Just like that. But, this ...more
Sally
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of the strongest pieces of genre writing I have read for some time. Crude Sunlight is a very descriptive ghost story with great imagery, characters who have life outside the main narrative and a plot that has not 'been done before' which is a rare find in genre writing. There were occasions when I felt the story was heading into cliche territory but the author reigns it back in each time. Like any good ghost story I found the goings on very complex and hard to follow at times, particularly ...more
Glenda Castillo
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gave this a 5 star. It was a really good read and kept me going throughout. Anytime a book 'talks' to me in my free time, it's at least a 4 star. It's actually a free kindle book and that's why the 5 stars. Rarely do you get a FULL novel that's good enough to keep your attention all the way through. This one does just that! The only time I was compelled to put it down, other than for chores and tasks, was in a few really creepy scenes that took me by surprise (no spoilers here, sorry). I read a ...more
Holly Lindquist
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
A tantalizing introduction to a talented writer, this debut novel has more than the usual share of spooky moments. It's full of twists and turns and wonderful little ambiguities. There's no predictable or pat endings here. Abandoned hospitals and mouldering rectories are described in lovely, grotty detail. Good stuff. Looking forward to further tales from this author.
Jackie
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-this-year
I enjoyed most of the book but I was really disappointed in the ending and the epilogue. I wonder why he added it the way he did when it didn't bring anything to closure...how could he just let everything go after all he and Buck went through? Not only that but what was the real story behind Buck's episode? I feel like I have more questions then answers.
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
I really enjoyed this one. Not the typical thriller. It had me wanting to read more all along. I also really appreciated how it was more about the suspense than it was about graphic gore.
Jenn
Aug 15, 2016
Bookfan92
Apr 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dark Webb (The Dark Webb Series Book 1)
  • Edge of Shadows (Shadows, #1)
  • Catacomb (Asylum, #3)
  • Sanctum (Asylum, #2)
  • Shadows Deep (Shadows, #2)
  • Creep
  • Abandoned: A Ghost Story
  • Romanov
  • Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
  • A Head Full of Ghosts
  • The Haunting of Hill House
  • The Harrowing
  • The Haunted (The Haunted, #1)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • The Piper

Thanks for visiting my page! I'm Phil Tucker, a Brazilian/Brit who currently resides in Asheville, NC, where I resist the siren call of the forests and mountains to sit inside and hammer away on my laptop. I'm about to publish EUPHORIA ONLINE, a LitRPG trilogy that features high octane action, devilish mysteries and all manner of classic D&D foes. Busy times, my friends. Here's a

Crude Sunlight (3 books)