Start by marking “A Cruel Wind” as Want to Read:
A Cruel Wind

A Cruel Wind (Dread Empire #1-3)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,153 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Before there was Black Company, there was the Dread Empire, an omnibus collection the first three Dread Empire novels: A Shadow of All Night's Falling, October's Baby and All Darkness Met.
Published June 1st 2006 by Night Shade Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Cruel Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cruel Wind

Evgeny
Apr 03, 2013 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This has got to be my most difficult to write review so far. The book is an omnibus containing the first three novels of the Dread Empire series, and the novels vastly differ in quality. It is also practically impossible to talk about the plot of each novel without significant spoilers, but I still have to do it as the series is fairly obscure - while the author is very well known and respected in the genre. I have to split the review into separate parts for each of the three novels.

A Shadow of
Joseph
Feb 27, 2012 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is relatively early (i.e. pre-Black Company) Glen Cook -- an omnibus collection of the original trilogy in his other major fantasy series, The Dread Empire. The structure is interesting -- each book alternates between contemporary chapters, and chapters that flash back to events decades or centuries in the past that laid the groundwork for current events. Also, there's a major shift in viewpoint characters between the first book (A Shadow of All Night Falling) and the second & third (Oc ...more
Rob
Fans with an interest in the down-in-the trenches approach without so much veneer would do well to check out these books. Hell, fans of fantasy in general would do well to read these books. I enjoyed A Cruel Wind a great deal for many reasons - the evocation of the setting, the different approaches Cook utilized from book to book, and quite simply, the overall story itself in each volume and as a whole for the saga. I did think the pacing was slightly uneven in spots from book to book, but on th ...more
Bruce
Jan 14, 2012 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Like others have posted, I found the first book in the trilogy, 'A Shadow of All Night Falling' tough sledding. I was on the verge of putting it away to try later, but being a big fan of Cook and his 'Black Company' series, I decided to give the second book, 'October's Baby', a chance. I'm glad I did. The omnibus became a page-turner, and though I found book three, 'All Darkness Met', a touch slow getting started, it proved a satisfying conclusion.

One small nit was the lack of a map. There were
Ben
Aug 13, 2009 Ben rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've gotten 83 pages in and took everything I could from reading this "saga." Reading about the Dread Empire is absoultly Dreadful! Almost the entire book so far takes place in either a castle with dull drab characters or in random bits of time following one emo'ed out "man". The author is very vague with regards to how magic occurs and in descriptions of the characters. None of the characters are likable either. Everybody is depressed and just waiting around for something to happen. I recieved ...more
Shadowdenizen
Highly readable, and definitely enjoyable, but a little underwhelming for me, given how utterly talented Glen Cook is. And, (though it's not really a fair comparison, since these were written pre Black-Company), this is certainly not as good as the "Black Company" books.)
Sergio
Jan 04, 2012 Sergio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great series, which is to be expected from Glen Cook. I was only recently turned onto his books and have now read everything I can lay my hands on. In this trilogy the first book and the last book were my favorites.
Joel Mitchell
Before creating the mercenary Black Company, Glen Cook wrote about the struggle between the deeply divided West and the Dread Empire of the East. The Western nations are nominally the "good guys"...mostly by virtue of our protagonists being from the West and the Dread Empire being efficiently expansionist and militaristic (and we are told repeatedly that they are "pure evil" though their actions aren't demonstrably more so than the Westerners). The pettiness, scheming, brutal pragmatism, deep ch ...more
Travis Chapman
Jul 23, 2017 Travis Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Cook series, having previously read the Black Company omnibus' twice. I enjoy his style of writing, and probably end up emulating it myself. This series was no different. The characters are interesting and diverse, with a good mix of motivations, concerns, and moral ambiguity. I think Cook's signature ability to portray "real" people who act that way is unique. You may not like the moral choices, but he opens the doors on their hearts and the "why" behind many decisions.

The wo
Gedvondur
In my estimation 3 Stars is a *good* book, well worth reading.

This omnibus edition of the three books of the dread empire is set before the Black Company, but encompasses the same hard, gritty feel as the Black Company. The Gods and Fate are *not* forgiving and people are generally horrible to each other, especially if they get some power.

The characterization in this series isn't as good as The Black Company series, as a matter of fact the first book is about half set up and world building. Cook
Paul
May 16, 2017 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Hard one to rate , I thought a Shadow of all night falling was terrible 2/5 October's baby was a lot better with military battles and wizards 3/5 and All Darkness Met was damn awesome what a fucking bloodbath at the end 5/5

"He was the last, Bragi mused. None of us are left but me" And, after a while, "Why am I still alive?"
Elizabeth
Was not pulled in. I just didn't care. DNF
Joe
Jan 30, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sure do love glen cook. this omnibus of initial dread empire books strikes me as of a kind with the black company, certainly similar, as if held up to a mirror. the perspective is pulled back to a mostly third-person limited, since we're not relying on an annalist, though it gestures at a historical context and we get a peek at things no one in situ should know about. imagine, maybe, if the black company were written as historical treatise rather than a diary.

the prose is light, and, i thought,
Brendan
I really want to like the works of Glen Cook, but there's always something a bit disappointing about them. It's nebulous, and changes from novel to novel, but it's still there. They're just never quite up to par for me.

With A Cruel Wind, the three books comprising the trilogy really each had a totally different feel. The first book seemed like all setup. Very little actually happens until the very end. Just characters moving from place to place. That said, it was an interesting world that I want
Luke Coury
Jul 14, 2013 Luke Coury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, glen-cook
Really enjoyable book, like the Black Company, I was terribly confused with his writing style (it took me a while to realize he was going back and forth through time and between different places). Another confusion factor was that Cook will often interchange last and first names of characters, so you'd meet a John Smith, and when talking, John would say something and then later, he'd be referred to as Smith. It was actually pretty late in the series until I figured it out so I'll probably have t ...more
Matt
Jun 15, 2009 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is an Omnibus edition of three previously published fantasy novels:

A Shadow of All Night Falling (1979)
October's Baby (1980)
All Darkness Met (1980)

I almost put this volume aside after the first book.

A Shadow of All Night Falling rather ambitiously attempts to manage introducing characters, introducing the world and telling a main story by means of two threads separated by 500 years; all in a page count that would be considered tiny by current fantasy standards. I found the result to be some
Ken
Apr 16, 2012 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Corprew
May 30, 2008 Corprew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Glen Cook's earlier books, and you can see his writing style evolving from a dark, victorian style to the edgier style that marked him as a mature writer. By the middle of the third book, it's a lot terser, and closer to the writing of the Black Company series. Both styles have their merit.

The first third of this omnibus is a shockingly good book, and the plot, which at first seems sprawling and confusing, wraps up as tight as a great mystery novel. The conclusion was jaw-dropping
Ben
Oct 24, 2009 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A good but very uneven book. The world building is very good, as Cook has come up with a complex yet realistic fantasy world. The lack of clearly defined good and evil is also a definite plus. However, the pacing of the stories is uneven at best. Some seemingly important events are just skimmed over, and others are related in a way that reads like a mediocre history text. Additionally, especially in the later two volumes of this trilogy, there's a huge cast of characters who are sometimes diffic ...more
Sep 16, 2015 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I admit. I did Dread the Dread Empire. This book glared hatefully at me on my nightstand for too long. I dreaded reading it but I'm a completionist. I hated all of the characters and cared about nobody. I didn't like the world or the world building. Too much focus on sex and rape. I feel like you're supposed to be awestruck by the awesome force over the strength of some main characters; instead I was in eye rolling with my hand to my face. Ugh it was everything I hate about fantasy wrapped up in ...more
Edmund Wight
Look, let me say up front that I really love Glen Cook. I obsessed over the Black Company series but I just can't make this book work for me. It felt like it was all over the place, rambling and disjointed. I wasn't too enthused with the writing style. I know it's what was chosen for a specific feel but it just didn't do it for me. I can see the feeling he was going for but it was just not for me.

Sorry, Glen, you rock but this time you did not rock my boat. I'm quitting without even finishing fo
Kosjenka
Not a bad story, but the writing feels rather detached and disjointed, almost more like history chronicles than a novel. There is a lot going on, within the span of a few decades, like many stories in one, but each story unravels and resolves quite quickly, which usually leaves an anticlimactic feeling. Basically, most events and relationships feel skimmed over. In the beginning the story is more interesting, with some cliches but also surprises, but soon is starts to be mainly about war, war, w ...more
Larry Kenney
Like Glen Cook's other series, The Black Company, it's no wonder he is such a huge influence in the new dark and gritty fantasy series that are becoming so popular. These start a bit slow, but so much is happening by the end it's amazing. It's also really cool to see characters in these books that are obvious influences to newer authors as well.

If you want a series where not every hero has a heart of gold, where events don't all come together neatly, and no character is sacred, then this really
Richard
Feb 18, 2012 Richard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is three books in a single volume: A Shadow of All Night Falling, October's Baby, and All Darkness Met. Original copyrights were in 1979 and 1980, so these are old books -- probably among Cook's first. The plots are way too complicated and there are too many characters. The author uses two or more names for each of most of the characters, and the logic is thin. Stopped reading at the start of the third book.
Jim
Jan 01, 2009 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't totally thrilled with this book when I read it. It had been a gift for Christmas picked up solely based on the cover art. And until reading this, I had no idea who Glen Cook was. The characters are dull and don't really pull you in and make you care about their plights. The story at times is hard to follow and on multiple occasions I had to re-read sections to fully understand what was going on. Definitely not in the same league as the Black Company books.
Tim
Dec 09, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good epic fantasy tale by Glen Cook. The writing style is very much in line with his Black Company novels. Gritty and very humanized while encompassing a vast storyline. Cruel wind is three books combined and follow various military and political adventures amongst the main characters. As per usual when it comes to Glen Cook stories this is a great read and I am looking forward to moving onto the sequels.
Jason
Mar 27, 2010 Jason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While these books are earlier than the Black Company, there is very little difference in the feel and pacing. Not bad, but it is difficult to get past the feeling of "haven't I read this before?" having read many of Cook's Black Company books.
On the other hand, the character of Mocker is obviously the inspiration for the character Kruppe in Stephen Erickson's Malazan Books of the Fallen series.
Jacob Ruby
Started reading this a year ago, after digging through most of The Black Company - I LOVED The Black Company, but The Dread Empire books so far have been flat comparatively. The overall story is interesting, but the characters don't seem as sharp. It is decent, but a bit of a letdown after The Black Company. I should at least finish this book.
Christopher Tatro

I loved Cook's Black Company series but this was pretty rough. I've only finished the first 2 books in this 3 book omnibus but have very little desire to continue on. It very much has the feel of a writer finding his feet and lacks the depth of character that made Black Company so compelling. SOme hints of that come through but not enough for me.
Lyndol Fast
Apr 13, 2014 Lyndol Fast rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I enjoyed the book. It was, if possible, even less romantic and more gritty then Cook's Black Company series. Once again Cook had created an engrossing world of characters who's motivations are rarely pure regardless of which side they stand on. I loved Mocker's character, as well as Haroun and Varthlokkur. A must read for fans of Cook.
  • Century of the Soldier
  • The Door to Saturn
  • The Fecund's Melancholy Daughter
  • Corum: The Coming of Chaos (Eternal Champion, #7)
  • Death Angel's Shadow
  • The Book of Dzur: Comprising the Novels Dzur and Jhegaala (Vlad)
  • The Conqueror's Shadow
  • The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume I
  • Darkness of the Light
  • Chronicles of the Lensmen, Volume 1: Triplanetary / First Lensman / Galactic Patrol
  • Pamięć wszystkich słów. Opowieści z meekhańskiego pogranicza
  • Gate of Ivrel (Morgaine & Vanye, #1)
  • Blood and Bone (Malazan Empire #5)
  • The Complete Pegāna: All the Tales Pertaining to the Fabulous Realm of Pegāna
  • The Calling of the Three
  • Whiskey and Water (Promethean Age, #2)
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m ...more
More about Glen Cook...

Dread Empire (8 books)
  • A Shadow of All Night Falling (Dread Empire, #1)
  • October's Baby (Dread Empire, #2)
  • All Darkness Met (Dread Empire, #3)
  • The Fire in His Hands (Dread Empire, #4)
  • With Mercy Toward None (Dread Empire, #5)
  • Reap the East Wind (Dread Empire, #6)
  • An Ill Fate Marshalling (Dread Empire, #7)
  • A Path to Coldness of Heart (Dread Empire, #8)