Start by marking “Pure Magic: A Complete Course in Spellcasting” as Want to Read:
Pure Magic: A Complete Course in Spellcasting

Pure Magic: A Complete Course in Spellcasting

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Pure Magic is a practical crash course for anyone who's ever envied TV witches. Or women who always seem to get the job, apartment, or date they want. Or people who can make their dreams come true. Judika Illes has written a spellcasting primer in down-to-earth language. "I consciously set out to write a book that would be different from any other on the market," Illes wri ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Weiser Books

To ask other readers questions about Pure Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pure Magic

Dana Wright
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all who are interested in learning more about metaphysical practices.
This book was a lovely read! I was thrilled to receive a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When I was a little girl, I would find myself endlessly searching the television for movies like Bednobs and Broomsticks, or shows like Bewitched. Those are the moments that plucked at my imagination and made my heart race. Was magic something real? In my writer brain and in my childhood imaginings, I so wanted it to be true.

Pure Magic rests in the place that magic is part of the web
Helen
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: occult
Just as title says, spellcasting and rootworking (Hodoo or Santeria, can't say).

Probably good, but no use for me: requires a lot of odd supplies, for the tasks I don't need. There are easier ways, with less supplies, for wider range of tasks, solved at completely different level. I have a feeling that this one is more related to youthful skin and beauty (beauty and pregnancy, botanical baths and washes), small changes here and there, involving too strong supernatural forces than I would agree to
Christine
From the author of the best-selling Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells (and the Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft), Judika Illes offers a plethora of spells for everyday life, complete advice on how and where to practice magic, to rightly use words of power, and to cleanse, protect, and enhance your magic self.

This is a comprehensive and practical course for anyone who’s ever wanted to hone their spellcasting skills. This book is not bogged down with fancy words or jargon and most of the infor
Andrea Bibiana
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
As an introduction to practical magic, it's entertaining, easy to follow and Wicca-less, with inspiration on assorted magical traditions and a youthful outlook. I'm looking forward to read more in-depth works from this author.
Nikki Ashendorf
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book came to me at exactly the right time. I really enjoyed it. I recommend it to all my brothers and sisters. Learn to commune with Gaia and feel her energies!
Katherine
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book is an odd mixture of Santeria and other magical forms... I wasn't expecting that at all. Still, it has some nice material in it.
Missy
Aug 26, 2007 is currently reading it
So far, very cool... It's basically herbalism with...intention and candles. V. neat.
Melissa
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Opens up a whole new world of the seen and the unseen. Could possibly set a magical tone to your every day existence.
Tara
Apr 13, 2008 marked it as to-read
I expect nothing less than wonderful from Judika Illes. I love her style and believe this will be just as fabulous as her other books.
Hannah
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
It was ok, lots of fluff however and a few instances of appropriation. Not sure if I'll use any of the spells or washes but I'm going to keep the book for a while.
Hannah
Dec 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mansions of the Moon for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Lunar Magic
  • City Magick: Urban Rituals, Spells, and Shamanism
  • Spell Crafts: Creating Magical Objects (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)
  • Encyclopedia of Natural Magic
  • Wicca: A comprehensive guide to the Old Religion in the modern world
  • Real Witches' Craft
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home
  • Embracing the Moon: A Witch's Guide to Rituals, Spellcraft and Shadow Work
  • Animal Magick the Art of Recognizing and Working with Familiars
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • The Grandmother of Time: A Woman's Book of Celebrations, Spells, and Sacred Objects for Every Month of the Year
  • Wicca For Life: The Way of the Craft -- From Birth to Summerland
  • Everyday Moon Magic: Spells & Rituals for Abundant Living
  • Full Contact Magick: A Book of Shadows for the Wiccan Warrior
  • The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft
Born in New York City, my metaphysical career began early: My first encounter with tarot cards at age six was also my first experience of love at first sight! That passion still burns true. Although I do practice other forms of divination, tarot remains the foundation of my practice.

A lifelong pursuit of metaphysical wisdom followed and continues: astrology, mythology, Kabbalah, the Egyptian myst
More about Judika Illes...