Start by marking “Pure Magic: A Complete Course in Spellcasting” as Want to Read:
Pure Magic: A Complete Course in Spellcasting

Pure Magic: A Complete Course in Spellcasting

Pure Magic is a practical crash course for anyone who's ever envied TV witches. Or women who always seem to get the job, apartment, or date they want. Or people who can make their dreams come true. Judika Illes has written a spellcasting primer in down-to-earth language. "I consciously set out to write a book that would be different from any other on the market," Illes wri ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Weiser Books

To ask other readers questions about Pure Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pure Magic

Start your review of Pure Magic: A Complete Course in Spellcasting
Dana Wright
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all who are interested in learning more about metaphysical practices.
This book was a lovely read! I was thrilled to receive a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When I was a little girl, I would find myself endlessly searching the television for movies like Bednobs and Broomsticks, or shows like Bewitched. Those are the moments that plucked at my imagination and made my heart race. Was magic something real? In my writer brain and in my childhood imaginings, I so wanted it to be true.

Pure Magic rests in the place that magic is part of the web
Erik Akre
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in herbal magic
Shelves: wicca
A fine book for those interested in the lore and powers of plants. Her magic is much less about psychic power and much more about ingredients: concoctions and potions and oils and incenses, all made from the plants she loves, respects, and reveres so much. She is a "magical herbalist," if ever there was one, although not limited by the term.

The book contains a lot of incidental lore from varied cultures, which ends up being a lot of fun, if perhaps inappropriately eclectic. There is Voudoun, Hoo
Andrea Bibiana
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
As an introduction to practical magic, it's entertaining, easy to follow and Wicca-less, with inspiration on assorted magical traditions and a youthful outlook. I'm looking forward to read more in-depth works from this author. ...more
Nikki Ashendorf
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book came to me at exactly the right time. I really enjoyed it. I recommend it to all my brothers and sisters. Learn to commune with Gaia and feel her energies!
Melissa
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Opens up a whole new world of the seen and the unseen. Could possibly set a magical tone to your every day existence.
Hannah
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: witchcraft
It was ok, lots of fluff however and a few instances of appropriation. Not sure if I'll use any of the spells or washes but I'm going to keep the book for a while. ...more
Lavender Moon
Aug 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This book wants to cover everything, and it does, just not in very much detail. Here you’ll get small servings on different types of magic, like herbs or candles. But you won’t get any in depth information, just an idea of what’s out there.

The advice is good, it’s not a bad book, but you wish that the author would spend more time on each thing. Or maybe take some things out and give more information on fewer topics.

Beginners will like the smattering of spells included. They are easy to underst
Helen
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: occult
Just as title says, spellcasting and rootworking (Hodoo or Santeria, can't say).

Probably good, but no use for me: requires a lot of odd supplies, for the tasks I don't need. There are easier ways, with less supplies, for wider range of tasks, solved at completely different level. I have a feeling that this one is more related to youthful skin and beauty (beauty and pregnancy, botanical baths and washes), small changes here and there, involving too strong supernatural forces than I would agree to
Christine
From the author of the best-selling Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells (and the Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft), Judika Illes offers a plethora of spells for everyday life, complete advice on how and where to practice magic, to rightly use words of power, and to cleanse, protect, and enhance your magic self.

This is a comprehensive and practical course for anyone who’s ever wanted to hone their spellcasting skills. This book is not bogged down with fancy words or jargon and most of the infor
Paige Erin
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This took me fooooorrevvahhhhrrr to get through. I read this because at some point I had checked out her Spirits book at a library once and enjoyed it.

Honestly this was a bit dull and I did not always agree with everything but I look at it sort of like a maths textbook that sits on my shelf that I might reference once in a purple moon to remind myself how to work out the Pythagorean theorem.

TA
Katherine
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book is an odd mixture of Santeria and other magical forms... I wasn't expecting that at all. Still, it has some nice material in it. ...more
Missy
Aug 26, 2007 is currently reading it
So far, very cool... It's basically herbalism with...intention and candles. V. neat. ...more
Tara
Apr 13, 2008 marked it as to-read
I expect nothing less than wonderful from Judika Illes. I love her style and believe this will be just as fabulous as her other books.
Rachel

• Hawken: Genesis
  • The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
  • Psychedelics Encyclopedia
  • Selected Poems and Tales of Edgar Allen Poe
  • The Witch's Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit
  • Yule: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for the Winter Solstice
  • Samhain: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for Halloween
  • Red State Revolt: The Teachers' Strike Wave and Working-Class Politics
  • The Occult Book: A Chronological Journey from Alchemy to Wicca
  • Sorcery and the Single Girl (Jane Madison, #2)
  • Her Fearful Symmetry
  • Economics for the Many
  • Wiccapedia: A Modern-Day White Witch's Guide
  • Moonology: Working with the Magic of Lunar Cycles
  • Craft: How to Be a Modern Witch
  • The Modern Guide to Witchcraft: Your Complete Guide to Witches, Covens, and Spells
Born in New York City, my metaphysical career began early: My first encounter with tarot cards at age six was also my first experience of love at first sight! That passion still burns true. Although I do practice other forms of divination, tarot remains the foundation of my practice.

A lifelong pursuit of metaphysical wisdom followed and continues: astrology, mythology, Kabbalah, the Egyptian myst

News & Interviews