Start by marking “The Wealthy Barber Returns” as Want to Read:
The Wealthy Barber Returns

The Wealthy Barber Returns

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  2,178 Ratings  ·  231 Reviews
"If you've always thought of money as a dry and dusty subject, let Dave show you just how interesting it can be. While you're at it, learn a thing or two about your personal motivation and how to point it in the right direction. And laugh your socks off, too! I thoroughly enjoyed this book!"
Gail Vaz-Oxlade, TV Host of Til Debt Do Us Part and Financial Author

"The Task Force
224 pages
Published 2011 by Financial Awareness Corporation

Cory
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
There are no shocking new insights in this book, it's more like a collection of quick little essays written by someone with a lot of common sense and experience when it comes to managing money. A decent and easy read if you want a general overview of how to manage (i.e. save) your money, but don't expect many new ideas if you've already spent time thinking about your finances.

Also, the author's self-deprecating but lame sense of humor did not really add anything to the book, at least not for me.
Daniel
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
ok. I must be a financial geek - I loved this book.

A big change from his previous book is his view of mutual funds - and choosing a good fund family with good fund managers that have a good track to beat the market - it doesn't work. He says that he doesn't recommend index funds - it's simply that the math is undeniably positive for them, the costs of cdn mutual funds are way too high and that buffett recommends them (index funds).

He stands by his recommendation for term insurance - regardless o
Jenny
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I was very interested in what he'd have to say, over 20 years after "The Wealthy Barber". Not nearly as cohesive or eye-opening, but still nice to get a modern take from him.

Things to remember:

"I can't afford it."

Save 10-15% of my gross income.

Reminder: what percentage of my working-years income does my pension pay? (gotta go look that up)

I'll need 60-70% of my working-years income to live on in retirement.

Buy an index fund with a 0.5% MER - I want to match the market's return...S&P 500?

Chec
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars B+

I read David Chilton's first book, The Wealthy Barber The Common Sense Guide to Successful Financial Planning by David Chilton, about 25 years ago when it first came out and I was starting my career and having thoughts about a 'financial future'. A lot of his general, but sound advice, has stood me in good stead and, although I read lots of other people's books too, his stuck with me as a good foundation book for beginners. Along with books like The Millionaire Next Door The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley, it acknowledges the fact that we're all human and there are important aspects of 'being human' that impact how we deal
Kayla
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've always liked David Chilton ever since watching him on Dragon's Den. I bought this book ages ago but haven't read it until now. For a Canadian who is new to personal finance and financial concepts, and doesn't really know where to begin with their own finances, this is a perfect book to introduce them to all that and one that I will be recommending if anyone ever states that they want to learn. It is a shorter book that is easy to read (short chapters) with some light humour thrown in. For s ...more
Jason
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book.
I didn't give it a 5, because it just didn't hook me like the original wealthy barber did. I loved the first half, but the last half where he gives his more random thoughts was sub par.
The topics were excellent, the advice current and helpful.
I especially like his thoughts on credit cards, and have made it a must read section for my 19 year old daughter.... who loves collecting her bonus points.
Louise
Dec 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
Maybe The Wealthy Barber was a better read, but I didn't read it and instead jumped into this "sequel." The financial advice ranged from stupidly simple to doesnt-apply-to-me-I'm-not-Canadian. That wouldn't have been as bad, but Chilton tries to be funny in his writing. He's about as funny as a stand up comedian laughing at his own jokes when no one in the crowd is. Awkward.
Mustapha Safadieh
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This isn't so much a book on investing; it;s more like a guide to Canadian financial planning. Although guide wouldn't be the best word either, because this is mostly just a discussion of many different possibilities and actions.

This would've have been a Godsend a few years earlier, any young Canadian (probably just about to head into college) would benefit greatly from this book, especially if they haven't read anything on Canadian personal finance before. I didn't find it particularly useful
Mike Bercier
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought that the book was OK. I have read other finance books with better information and a plan on how to not only get out debt but also to plan for my retirement.

The chapter called "A Borrowed Approach to Borrowing" almost made me stop reading the book only 25% into the book. He suggested that the idea of using a line of credit to buy things or go on vacation as long as you pay it off before buying something else on the line of credit. Not everyone has the discipline required for something
Kristal
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
3.5 stars.

Fast read, and I've now read the book twice. I like how the chapters are bite sized chunks of advice. Makes it easy for things to sink in, and I liked his humor. This book encouraged me to open up and RRSP at 23 and realize the magic of compound interest (the example of the twins- one who saves between the ages of 25-35 has more money at age 65 than the brother who saved between the ages of 35-65!!) I also appreciated his insights about investing and how much a person will approximatel
  • Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School
  • Persuasion: A New Approach to Changing Minds
  • The Power Of Why: Simple Questions That Lead to Success
  • Cornered: Hijinks, Highlights, Late Night and Insights
  • Redefining Success: Still Making Mistakes
  • The Science of Everyday Life
  • Free the Children: A Young Man Fights Against Child Labor and Proves that Children Can Change the World
  • Shift Work
  • Say It Right the First Time
  • The Investor's Manifesto: Preparing for Prosperity, Armageddon, and Everything in Between
  • Women's Voices, Feminist Visions: Classic and Contemporary Readings
  • A Soldier First: Bullets, Bureaucrats and the Politics of War
  • Wealthing Like Rabbits: An Original and Occasionally Hilarious Introduction to the World of Personal Finance