Start by marking “The Name of the Game (The Game, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Name of the Game (The Game, #1)

The Name of the Game (The Game #1)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  350 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Seth's a gorgeous hunk of a cop, but off-limits to his roommate Clay, who's desperately trying to find a way to stop thinking about a man who's straight. Seth's also dating Sophie, the bitchy, possessive, girlfriend from hell, so it's a moot point as far as Clay is concerned. Seth is a good guy, a clean cop and a good friend. But when it comes to the girlfriend, he's not s ...more
Published April 25th 2007 by Torquere Press (first published February 14th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Name of the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Name of the Game

Charly
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Heavy on the angst and secret longing, light on the sex

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- Good portrayal of a relationship on the line between friendly and romantic. The guys are comfortable with each other, yet there’s always an undercurrent of sexual tension.
- The speed dating scenes are interesting and amusing (at times in a horrifying, can’t-look-away, train wreck sort of way).
- Loved the scene when Clay gets drunk and Seth takes him ho
Kaje Harper
May 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
Willa Okati is a talented writer but this book just didn't work for me. The characters seemed flat, the speed with which the straight man became curious and beyond just passed my credibility. Sure, he'd known the gay character for a long time, but there was no back-story of questioning or doubts, before the events in the book. The plot was abrupt and implausible, and I question whether any GFY character would be so comfortable having his first gay sex in semi-public locations, once with a known ...more
Mel Bradley
Mar 21, 2011 rated it liked it
One roommate is gay, the other is trying to get out of his suffocating relationship with a possessive woman and uses his friendship with his roommate to break things off in an unusual manner. One thing leads to another… and their friendship grows quickly into something more.

Overall, this was an easy read with one character exploring his sexuality. Unfortunately, it was a bit contrived at parts and quite predictable, but there was just enough turmoil, missed opportunities, and sex to keep it ente
Tara
This novel was short and sweet, literally. It's the story of Clay, a gay man and Seth is his straight housemate. It's a GFY so you can figure how this plays out. (By the way Seth is also a police officer- I find it fascinating that in so many gfy novels the straight man is very often a police officer, or even a former police officer) Anyway, I think the biggest problem that I had was that the story ended just when it was getting good. I would have loved to see some of this relationship evolve. E ...more
Chris
3.5 stars. Good m/m romance about a gay DJ who has a crush on his straight cop roommate. In an attempt to get rid of his psycho girlfriend, the cop decides to pretend to be gay and the DJ's boyfriend and things get a bit complicated...
Elisa Rolle
I thought I couldn't never find a Willa Okati's novel I can love much than In the Strangest Places... and now I have found The Name of the Game. It's an hard fight.

Clay is an old type guy who believe in love and forever. He is a very good guy, maybe average type: so at thirty years old he is still alone... and maybe he is still alone because he is in love with his roommate, Seth, unfotunately a straight guy.

But then Seth asks Clay to help him to break with his girlfriend, and what better than
Tam
Aug 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Wish I could give half stars as I'd give it 3.5 considering I gave the sequel 3 and I liked this better, just not enough for 4.

Clay lives with Seth who is straight but he loves him anyway. Just when he decides to try speed dating Seth proposes that he pretend to be gay to chase off his bitch of a girlfriend. Clay’s not sure but agrees because he’d do anything for Seth. After a few kisses Seth starts to freak out as maybe he likes it. Anthony, Clay’s best friend figures in offering advice to bot
Luvflix
Jun 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, gfy, contemporary, cop
This is a lovely sweet fic, that's just perfect if you want something light after reading one of the more emotionally draining fics around. Okati has a gift of writing witty, LOL dialogue that just makes you fall in love with the characters. Unfortunately, there were just a few too many negatives to up the rating to a 4 star for me. Although I loved the bulk of the dialogue throughout the book, the boys' conversation as they 'found each other', was a little too corny - even for me (and that's sa ...more
Elena
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Okati is a hit or miss for me - usually a miss. But this friends to lovers story really worked for me. It's cute. Seth wants to get rid of his harridan of a girlfriend and convinces his roommate Clay to be boyfriends. Clay has had a crush on seth since the day they met and plays along between hope and despair.
Boyboygirllove
3-Star Gay For You...

I wanted to like this story as I really enjoyed the author's other GFY novel, Call Me in the Morning. The characters just never went deep enough for me to really get into it and the short storyline itself was a bit iffy. Maybe it's just me but I wanted more angst, more sex and more dynamic men. On the plus side, I thought the flamboyant roommate was fun.
CB
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining book - the 1st in a series of 2. I suggest reading the 2nd book as well as one of the MC's in that book features in this book as a secondary character. Nothing too heavy and I'm glad they admits at the end they should have handled the ex-girlfriend differently.
Matt Yazdi
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just loved it, it was all tha angst and drama you'd expect from 2 boys.
Anne
Apr 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2010-bir
I liked this story. Really looking forward to the 2nd in the series.
Alina
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
This book would have been such a great "Gay for You" and overall M/M novel if it were only LONGER!!! Not only that, but I wish we saw the consummation scene between the two men as well :)
Mtsnow13
oops..liked the first one..meant the second story (Anthony's)not as good.. this one was pretty good, actually.. but seemed typical straight roommate/gay roommate crush scenario.
Chancey Knowles
Rerated after review of ratings from uploaded personal ratings a couple of years ago.
Natalie
Kind of strange beginning. Cute ending. Stereotypical homophobic ex-girlfriend. Speed dating was funny. No full-on sex, minimal sex scenes.
Lavern
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Out of My Mind
  • Just For You
  • Snow Angel
  • The Charlie Factor (Beach Duo, #1)
  • A Matter of Necessity
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O'Shaughnessys #2)
  • Sex, Lies, and Celluloid
  • Mandarin Orange: Sweet and Sour (Fruit Basket, #3)
  • Reasonable Doubt (Boys in Blue, #2)
  • Maritime Men (Maritime Men,  #1)
  • The One That Got Away
  • Undercover Blues (Undercover Blues, #1)
  • Positive Possibilities
  • Caught by Surprise
  • Lesson Learned
  • Cowboy Up
  • Lover & Commander
  • Edward Unconditionally (Common Powers, #3)
A multi-published author of GLBT erotic, romantic fiction since 2004, I love trying new things -- I have 1001 crazy ideas and want to write them all! I exist primarily on caffeine and pixels, take “camera shy” to a whole new level, and persist in trying to learn the pennywhistle despite being woefully tone-deaf. During the summer, I’m a wild woman with henna.

You can find me on the web here, at my
More about Willa Okati...

The Game (3 books)