Start by marking “Deadfall Hotel” as Want to Read:
Deadfall Hotel

Deadfall Hotel

This is the hotel where our nightmares go...

It's where horrors come to be themselves, and the dead pause to rest between worlds. Recently widowed and unemployed, Richard Carter finds a new job, and a new life for him and his daughter Serena, as manager of the mysterious Deadfall Hotel. Jacob Ascher, the caretaker, is there to show Richard the ropes, and to tell him the man
Published April 17th 2012 by Solaris (first published March 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Deadfall Hotel, please sign up.
Latasha no, it's nothing like the shining. it's very difficult to describe but if your wanting it to be like the shining, I don't think you would like it.

mark monday
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror-modern
a favorite fantasy: i inherit a sprawling and eerie mansion, preferably on a cliff or overlooking a lake, somewhere remote. it can be populated by eccentric characters but preferably it will be virtually empty. i spend most of my days exploring the various rooms, discovering passageways, musing on the mansion's mysterious history. i spend most of my nights by a fireplace, reading a book from the impressive library, hearing the wind howl, wondering if the various dangers will be able to break in. ...more
Trudi

I stumbled across this book at work the other day, and it called to me with a sweet siren song of potential. This edition comes replete with charcoal illustrations, ribbon bookmarks (always classy) and is published by Centipede Press -- centipede!! Eww! Awesome, right? Plus it's about a scary ass hotel. I'm thinking Overlook, I'm thinking House of Leaves, Hill House, Hell House... well, it's none of these. The Deadfall Hotel has such potential, but it never really fires up all its engines and VR
Char
THE DEADFALL HOTEL is a beautifully written story, but difficult to describe with any kind of clarity. To vaguely set the scene: a recently widowed man accepts a job as caretaker at a somewhat remote hotel, bringing along his young daughter. The current, elderly caretaker is the one who recruited him, and will be available for on the job training, in the hopes that he will soon be able to retire.

Anyone going into this book expecting something like King's THE SHINING, or Matheson's HELL HOUSE, i
Kimberly
DEADFALL HOTEL, by Steve Rasnic Tem started out with an intriguing premise: a hotel where the "dead" can rest between travels. At least, that's the idea that I came away with. While there were some very interesting and detailed scenes, overall, the book just had too slow of an approach for me. Aside from those few moments, there seemed to be a remarkable lack of tension or surprise to much of what WAS encountered. I also never really felt that I got to "know" the new caretaker as well as we did ...more
Adam Nevill
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
An extraordinary work of macabre fantasy set within the most unusual hotel you'll probably ever read about. The section - The Craving - was my personal favourite. One of those novels in which I am just happy to wallow in the author's strange imagination.
Daniel2
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a tough one. Tem is a capable writer. He is a craftsman. There are devices he uses that I'm not a fan of, like placing the direct object first and then subordinating the subject. It's just a little trick used to sound Dickensian (something Dickens never really did, making it a poor imitative device) or make a sentence sound literary when it might have been written in plain syntax form. It's a halting thing and a little lame. BUT, that's his style and that's OK with me.

Tem, in my opinion
Dawn
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Love this story by Steve Rashid Tem. I'm a big fan of his writing style...the characters are well developed and the descriptives are so beautiful. I would certainly recommend this to any of my horror friends :)
Latasha
** I received this audiobook in exchange for a honest review**

Matt Godfrey did a great job narrating this strange tale. The production quality was great, I had no problems with it. and I absolutely love the cover art. The story, however, was so strange. the word I keep coming back to when thinking about how to describe it, is disjointed. The character's acceptance of the hotel and it's guest was unbelievable. the hotel is very interesting but I don't think we got enough about it. Maybe there wil
C.
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So, if a book blurb tells me a certain book is like King, Kafka, and Poe wrapped up on one, I am there, first in line, sign me up. This book lives up to its jacket, but it's heavy on the Kafka, middling on the Poe and includes a whiff of Shirley Jackson. The story itself is creepy like something King may write, but with an ending that is fitting its readers without a myriad of scrambling characters to keep up with. At first, upon opening this book, I didn't really know what I'd gotten myself int ...more
Kendra Castle
Apr 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
There's so much I want to say about this book, and none of it is good. In fact, a large part of it is just angry spluttering.

So the concept of Deadfall Hotel sounded really awesome. From the way that the description was written, I expected it would either be really good or ridiculously cheesy. (Okay, let's be honest -- the description basically consisted of three run-on sentences. I was banking on ridiculously cheesy.) I love both of these things, though, so I figured this was a win/win.

I WAS SO
Chris
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is really a story about loss and the human condition.

Told in six parts, this story relates the journey of a family trying to get over the lost of a mother. Tem has a dark tone, but it is a different dark tone than that which is usually found in horror. It is gothic, but somehow, in someway, humane. It is an understanding mirror.
Robert
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Better classified as 'weird' rather than 'horror', since most of the horror readers may be disappointed that there's nothing overtly graphic presented here. Sort of a combination of Bradbury if he was in THE OCTOBER COUNTRY and DANDELION WINE modes simultaneously, and some nods towards Edward Gorey and Charles Addams.
Eric Guignard
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
REVIEWED: Deadfall Hotel
WRITTEN BY: Steve Rasnic Tem
PUBLISHED: April, 2012

Deadfall Hotel is a rather sweet, at times sad, at times scary, novel which is more fantasy than horror. It includes the familiar monster tropes, but they are all fused with human pains, made believable in whatever condition ails the character, sending them to convalesce and, most likely, eventually perish in the namesake hotel. I wouldn’t call this book a “page-turner” as it is slow and sentimental, but that is what I enj
Patrickmalka
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favourites
I've read a lot of negative reviews (from readers, very few from critics, whatever that means, if anything) for this book, all of them fair and all of them well considered (even from the ones who couldn't get through the book).

I would like to present this book in a slightly different light that, without negating what the negative reviews have said, might be more encouraging to potential readers.

Managing the Deadfall is mundane. It's almost boring.

We the readers can't possibly think so because t
Anita Dalton
May 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
My selection of "read" is misleading. I actually gave up halfway through. These days I only finish a book I dislike if it would be a good addition to my odd books site. This book was not odd enough.

There was something about the style Tem uses that I found strangely muffled. A widower father has taken his small daughter to a dreadful hotel so he can learn to be its new caretaker. It is a place where horrific creatures live. The current caretaker keeps assuring the father that his daughter will be
Jason Davis
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Deadfall Hotel by Steve Rasnic Tem

“You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Richard has lost his wife and in his grief, has accepted a job offer at a very unique hotel. It is one of mysteries and wonder, and where the dead can walk the halls with the living. It is a place where dreams can take shape and pets can mutate into monsters.

This book is an interesting read with some odd directions, and for the most part, I found it highly enjoyable. Now I’ll say that with the cave
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
This was (un)interesting book... it took me so much too read due to the lack of interest of the first two chapters... after that it was a ride but never an interesting. A duality of opinions within my being with no true wining.

The story is simple.. the ordeal through which a man and its child must overcome the loss of a wife/mother. The man is recruited to take care of an odd hotel (deadfall hotel) and from that moment on nothing is at seems. The hotel changes its indoor appearence to suit each
Justin
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Deadfall Hotel works on several levels: a haunted house story, a coming of age narrative, a family's struggle with death, loss and grief. It is a damn good narrative - mysterious, creepy and occasionally terrifying (though not in the bloodletting tropes found in most modern horror novels). Psychological terrors - driven not as much by ghosts and ghouls (though some do reside within the hotel's walls) - are what really haunt the Deadfall's mortal residents.

The hotel is not really an "evil" place
Ruthi
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deadfall hotel by Steve Rasnic Tem
End to a year and a start of a new, happy 2018 folks :) sorry for the wait, it has been a busy year end and I haven't had much reading time. Anyway onto my review.

The Deadfall Hotel as stated On The cover is a hotel where nightmares go, essentially to rest and be themselves away from society.
The story follows Richard and his daughter who sought a new life after Abby, mother and wife of the family, died in a house fire. Richard finds himself carting his daughter
William Miller
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Deeply disturbing, like a languid nightmare. The horror isn't in the hotel so much as it is in the people inhabiting the hotel. It is a refuge of horror from the horrors we live with everyday, yet it also presents dangers of its own.
If you are looking for visceral, graphic horror, this novel may not be for you. But if you find yourself indulging in disturbing, distracted daydreams, the Deadfall Hotel is ready for you to check in.
A solid 4 /5.
BookLoversLife
DNF. I admit defeat at 75%. This book seems aimless and rambling. There is no plot as such, well none that I can figure out anyway!! It almost seems like a bunch of short stories flung together to make a book. It just didn't work at all.
Hanna
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
First published at Booking in Heels.

Deadfall Hotel is written primarily from the third person perspective of Richard Carter, a young widower left alone with his ten year old daughter, Serena. Together they've been wandering aimlessly ever since Abby died, but they see a new future ahead after Richard comes across a job vacancy for the new proprietor of The Deadfall Hotel. They pack up and set off, only to discover all is not what it seems.

Interspersed with the narration of Richard's learning per
Jason Edwards
Jul 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Full disclosure: I have not finished Deadfall Hotel yet, and the only reason I was even going to try and finish was for the sake of writing this review. I was struggling to read it last week, and skipped last Monday’s review, and I fear the same will happen again today, unless I just get my thoughts down, finally. I don’t expect there to be anything in the last 20 pages that will change my impressions much. Simply put: awful book.

Now, that’s just my opinion, of course, and you should read others
Vanessa Crispin
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually write reviews, but since this book was so friggin amazing I simply felt compelled to.

So let's tally-ho into it!

For starters, I was actually kind of hesitant to dig in on this book since most reviews both on this site and on amazon spoke of it like it was a pile of dog crap. But since I had read a small and obscure short story of Tem's before and liked it (his interpretation of the penguin in a novel of batman stories) , I figured I'd give this one a shot.

And jesus bajebus, I'm
Jason P
May 03, 2012 added it
Recommends it for: No one.
Shelves: gave-up-on
When I picked up Deadfall Hotel at the book store I thought, "Hey, it's kind of like The Shining, why not?" Unfortunately, I was sadly mistaken; the book opens up exactly like the shining with the car on the long winding road making it's way to the hotel passing huge moutain caps, and the air feeling somewhat thin from the altitude. Although from that point the book drops off the face of the earth with it's boredom and overly descriptive writing style.

The fact that on the back cover it compares
Kari
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
I can't make up my mind about this book. I liked the idea of it and the events and imagery was great but it felt disjointed overall. Each chapter deals with a different guest or problem so that it felt more like a series of small stories/snapshots than a whole novel. The book lacked flow because of the chapter style and it missed out on true character development. I would have loved there to of been more with Richard's wife rather than just odd glimpses or passing comments. For me it seemed that ...more
Dave Moore
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
***SPOILERS***read review only after reading the book
I waited several days to actually write something about this book. I'm still a bit uncertain what I read. Was it an allegory or an attempt at "horror". I think it was more successful as the former as the 'horror' aspects were never really revealed, described in anything more than passing, or developed. The "hotel" seems to be more of a metaphor for mental healing and "coming to grips" with reality than a malevolent entity. Thus, its ever-chang
Jason Modisette
May 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
Badly written imitation Haruki Murakami. Murakami is skilled at integrating dreamlike stuff into a mostly-real-world narrative. This guy just flips back and forth with no warning.

I was particularly offended by the author's treatment of cats. He clearly doesn't like cats or know much about cats; the first cat to appear was a male calico (consulting the web, apparently male calicos are possible because they can be XXYs, but extremely rare). No remark was made on this. The behavior of the cats in t
Nora Peevy
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I want to check-in and explore this hotel and the deadfall on the grounds. I picture myself going with a paranormal investigation team to prove the existence of cryptic animals and ghosts and strange people that might find work at a freak show.

I am in love with his imagination and his beautiful prose discussing the grief process Richard goes through after losing his wife. I found it profound and deeply touching, as I lost my father a month ago.

I also want that library and the scene where the K
Janet
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Very different story, the kind that makes you think "wow, this is odd" but you can't put it down!
paced reading hor...: Deadfall Hotel 100% 18 10 Nov 27, 2017 02:22PM
  • The Mammoth Book of Dracula
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 4: H.P. Lovecraft
  • Mysteries of the Diogenes Club
  • Windeye
  • The Secret Books of Paradys (Secret Books of Paradys, #1-4)
  • Lyric River
  • The Dry Salvages
  • Wrapped Up in You (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #6)
  • Trust
Steve Rasnic Tem was born in Lee County Virginia in the heart of Appalachia. He is the author of over 350 published short stories and is a past winner of the Bram Stoker, International Horror Guild, British Fantasy, and World Fantasy Awards. His story collections include City Fishing, The Far Side of the Lake, In Concert (with wife Melanie Tem), Ugly Behavior, Celestial Inventories, and Onion Song ...more
“A life was a secret thing, even between a husband and wife. Your secret life was completely your own, and because it was unknown, would never be mourned. The secret life of each individual went unhonored through eternity.” 4 likes
“We carry our fears with us wherever we go. We pack them neatly, holding them close because if we lost them, where would we be?” 2 likes