Start by marking “Dispatches from the Peninsula: Six Years in South Korea” as Want to Read:
Dispatches from the Peninsula: Six Years in South Korea

Dispatches from the Peninsula: Six Years in South Korea

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Thousands of young adults pass through South Korea each year, teaching English in private schools that together make up one of the country's largest industries. Korea, long isolated by culture and geography, with a complex language and set of social mores, can be a difficult place to call home. Chris Tharp has begun to make a name for himself as a travel writer, and in thi ...more
Nook, 290 pages
Published August 22nd 2011 by Signal 8 Press

To ask other readers questions about Dispatches from the Peninsula, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dispatches from the Peninsula

Chris
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this book and it's the duck's nuts.
Dana Burgess
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
There are lots of 20-somethings who head off to the great unknown and try their hand at teaching English in various areas of Asia. I have family members who have taken this path and I'm sure most of you at least know of the trend. Never had I heard, however, of one of these young adults teaching in South Korea. It's not even a country that registered on my radar for this kind of activity. But South Korea is where Chris Tharp ended up. I loved the beginning of the book. We start out exactly where ...more
Clifford
I enjoyed Dispatches very much, and appreciated Tharp’s growth over the period described in the book. In the sections covering his early days in the country, Tharp is condescending toward Koreans (in the tradition of Paul Theroux—a former Peace Corps Volunteer—who never met a local he couldn’t make fun of). But over time, it’s clear that Tharp’s affection for Korea and his understanding of the country have grown, so that in the later sections of the book the self-portrait is of a man who is much ...more
Colin Walker
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dispatches from the Peninsula is about an American’s indoctrination into work, life, and leisure as an expatriate English teacher in South Korea. Author Christ Tharp, a native of the Pacific Northwest, recounts his first impressions, observations, and challenges that come with life in a foreign culture. He writes with honesty and truthfulness as illustrated in the following excerpt that reports on his first experience at the Busan Fish Market:

“At one point I saw a crafty fellow escape his priso
Johnnythegreek
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of the previous reviewers erroneously gives this book a 1-star rating because it's less about Korea and more of a travelogue. As though there aren't enough Lonely Planet/Fodor's/Frommer's guide books out there, as well as books stroking the achingly fragile ego of this little beleaguered country that we don't feel the need to add another one to the list?

Having lived in the country for almost 12 years, I would have welcomed a little dissent-inspired tome amongst the shelves of my local bookst
Seoulbigchris
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent narrative. I was drawn into Tharp's adventures from chapter one. Read this nonstop, pausing only to wipe my tears after reading about the passing of his parents (an eerily similar thing happened to me almost two years ago). If Mr. Tharp writes any more books I'll be sure to read them. I recommend this book to newcomers and old-timers alike.
Frightmarestein
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled across this guy's writings on Asia and now with this book (and a new one one the way?) it's good news for fans of warts-and-all travel writing. Also, I think the author might be on ludes or something.
Kasey Tritch
Carlos Hernandez
Nov 19, 2013
Kristina
Apr 18, 2015
Originally hailing from Olympia, Washington, Chris Tharp has called Korea home since 2004. His award-winning writing has appeared on such sites as Haps Magazine, Matador Travel, Road Junky, Monkeygoggles, Travel Explorations, Escape from America, Pindledyboz, and Travelers' Tales. He is also the founder of popular group blog, Sweet Pickles & Corn.

Chris has written two books, "Dispatches from t
More about Chris Tharp...