Start by marking “Me, Him, Them, & It” as Want to Read:
Me, Him, Them, & It

Me, Him, Them, & It

ME is Evelyn Jones, 16, a valedictorian hopeful who's been playing bad girl to piss off THEM, her cold, distant parents. HIM is Todd, Evelyn's secret un-boyfriend, who she thought she was just using for sex - until she accidentally fell in love with him. But before Evelyn gets a chance to tell Todd how she feels, something much more important comes up. IT. IT is a fetus. E ...more
Published February 26th 2013 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Me, Him, Them, & It, please sign up.
Talia Noelle It is not. :) in my opinion some of the scenes were too graphic to fall under YA standards.
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,576 books — 11,066 voters
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
518 books — 2,465 voters

More lists with this book...

David
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In Jacksonville, Florida - born and raised in the backseat is where I spent most of my days.
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool, getting knocked up by QB* in the playground by the school.
When a couple of cells, who were up to no good, started multiplying in my womanhood.
Missing one little period made my mom explode, she said, "You're moving with your auntie and auntie in Chicago."
I loaded up the Jeep and when it came near, I tried to ride in silence, avoid my mom's glare. If anything, I woul
Miranda Kenneally
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry for like 4 straight hours. So realistic.
Sara Grochowski
Me, Him, Them and It is definitely one of the best books I've read that takes on teen pregnancy. Caela Carter tackles the subject with a careful hand, and while it can be said that she pushes her heroine, Evelyn, in some directions more than others, I felt that the novel presents a well-rounded and realistic portrayal of a teen faced with an unexpected pregnancy.

Evelyn is a smart girl who makes some reckless decisions in an attempt to both punish and draw the attention of her very absent parents
Rose
Initial reaction: "Me, Him, Them, and It" was such an emotional ride. I didn't realize how much of a punch it would be to follow Evie, a young woman who deals with the decisions surrounding her family and circle of friends when she discovers she's pregnant and weighs her options. While I thought the narrative dragged quite a bit in places, where the emotional resonance kicked in, it kicked very hard, and I found myself caring for the respective cast, including Evie herself.

Full review:

I really d
Angie
Oct 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

Me, Him, Them, and It was one of my most anticipated 2013 releases, but unfortunately I didn’t like it. Evelyn has been trying on a new bad girl image to upset her parents, but it’s a big failure since they don’t even pay attention to her. Then she gets pregnant, and instead of rubbing their faces in it, she decides not to tell them. If her goal is to get their attention, wouldn’t that just go against it? Of course, the truth has to come out and it’s one big m
Kimberly Russell
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was hesitant to read this because most of the time teen pregnancy books are preachy and overly dramatic. Not this one though. I want to give my teenage sister and all of her friends this book. Any teen who is sexually active or even thinking of becoming sexually active should read this book.

Not since Juno has teen pregnancy been portrayed this powerfully. This is one to watch for 2013.

I received this novel from Bloomsbury USA Children's Books via NetGalley for an honest review.
Jen Halligan
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on A Book and a Latte :

**4.5 stars** Me, Him, Them, and It is one of the most honest and realistic books I’ve read that deals with teen pregnancy. It’s heart breaking yet beautiful. It’s about a girl; Evelyn who becomes “Bad Evelyn” in retaliation to her parents after her dad cheats, leaves, and then comes back. Then her parents pretend everything is fine, even though the house is silent, and loveless.

Though Evelyn is smart and has so much going for her, including potentially
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!

Caela Carter has managed to take a very real and very personal issues that some teenagers are facing today and make it into an emotional yet beautiful struggle about one girl and the decisions she must face that will change the rest of her life, for better or worse.

I felt for Evelyn from the get go. Yeah, she was a teenager and asmart one at that, but a smart one that made some very bad decisions for some very wrong reasons. But the choices she made because of those reasons? Those were
Brandon
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Netgalley.com for preview.

I needed a few days to really wrap my head around this book.

As a father to young daughters, this really resonated with me how much of a divide there can be between children and their parents, and how things are not always as they appear to be and interpretations of events can be distorted through our own lenses of truth.

Evelyn starts out the story in a Planned Parenthood office, talking with Mary, a worker who is trying desperately to get Eve
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: D

Former good girl Evelyn uses her kinda sorta boyfriend for sex. Now she's pregnant and has some decisions to make. Abortion? Adoption? Raising the baby? He has no interest in being a father and she, well, she'd rather have the baby disappear and not have to make any decisions. She's also juggling a cheating father, cold mother, narcissistic best friend.

Evelyn was a hard character to embrace. While I could easily see why she was withdrawn, noncommittal, unfriendly and sometimes unkind, I
Sašenka
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Potrebovala som si dať pauzu od Cassandry a jej princeznej. Niečo nesériové a contemporary. Toto bola super voľba. Krátke, jednoduché a iné. Keby som sa mohla sústrediť len na čítanie dala by som to za deň, takto to trvalo dni dva.
Tehotenstvo tínedžerok je kontroverzná téma. Autorka to ale zvládla veľmi dobre. Zapracovala do príbehu viac problémov ako len samotné tehotenstvo a vek hrdinky. Problémoví rodičia, lesbická teta a jej adoptované dcéry, a celkovo nezodpovednosť tínedžerov v oblasti sex
Chrissy
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
I wanted a chest, so when she said I could go to Planned Parenthood and get a prescription without even telling my parents -- and that it could move me up a full bra size -- I did. I was having sex with Todd anyway, so it seemed like a good idea. On the way home from the first day of school, I just drove myself over here, whistling out the window of my car like a freaking idiot while visions of C-cups bounced in my brain. When I got here, they made me take a blood test, and it said I was alread ...more
Merin
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had an interesting reading experience while reading Me, Him, Them, and It. I am not really well-versed in pregnancy books, having only read a grand total of two including this one, but both I've read have seemed fairly realistic in terms of their portrayal of what the main characters are going through. But Me, Him, Them, and It isn't just a pregnancy book, and calling it that does it a bit of a disservice; there are a lot of other issues surrounding Evelyn and the people in her life, which mea ...more
Kat
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Me, Him, Them and It is a book that screams 'issues'. A pregnant teenager, a family that is dysfunctional at best, a lesbian aunt and adopted cousins all pile together to make a book that has a hell of a lot going on, and I was interested to see how Caela Carter could pull all this together.

The most memorable thing about this book is definitely the main character, Evelyn. As her relationship with her parents has disintegrated, she throws energies into becoming a 'bad girl', and thus ending up pr
Sebrina
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have always been intrigued by the concept of teen pregnancy. I'm not sure if it's because I personally broke a stereotype racially and demographically not getting pregnant as a teen. Or if it's because I am still amazed when I do meet teen moms. But I have honestly been so fascinated by this topic and it's prevalence in teen media that I made it the topic for my last final paper in college.
So when I saw this book, I knew I had to read and review it. From very first glance, the cover has a clea
Jess (The Cozy Reader) Kennedy
Official review to come closer to release date. Here are my initial thoughts after finishing this book today.

Favorite scene:
(view spoiler) I cried. (view spoiler)

Overall
A great book. Teen pregnancy is unfortunate and can have horrible outcomes.

Writing
I loved the structure of this book. The flash backs to Ev's friends and events. The chapter titles
Mary Farrell
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down because I could not imagine how Evie would find her way through the horrible choices that lay before her. Until the last fifty pages I had no idea how the book would end. Evie really had to find courage and grow up in order for this book to have a satisfying ending which was not too good to be true. Caela put her main character through the wringer and brought her out the other side whole.
I do not understand those who could not relate to Evie. I sympathized with her,
BookChic Club
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was a really well-written book, and Evelyn made for a great main character. Carter wrote her in such a way that she's defiant, vulnerable, witty (I did laugh out loud a couple times), and so much more. She felt like a real person and how I imagine many teen moms feel when they learn they're pregnant.

Evelyn has a wonderful emotional arc over the course of the book, and I loved reading along, watching her grow, regress, and grow again. It's a difficult book to put down and I was scrolli
Piseog
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: stand-alones
I liked the book, but I was so frustrated with Evelyn alot of the time and I hated the ending. I thought it was going to be a bit lighthearted (well as lighthearted as teenage pregnancy can be) as opposed to most of the depressing books dealing with this topic. But no, it was kinda depressing. I felt really bad for Evelyn at the start, with her parents and crappy Todd, but after a while she was so infuriating. Why couldn't she speak or make a decision? Well, I understand why, but it was still an ...more
Janet
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
The title of this book just 'called' to me ..

You can probably guess from the title what 'it' is ... * spoiler*

Teenage pregnancy is still a taboo subject ..can you imagine the horror when said teen is in a Catholic school?

I actually enjoyed the pointless teenage rambles throughout the book ...I have a teen at home and I so can relate to the .. 'if I can't see it ..it doesn't concern me' attitude

I'm not known for emotion ..however I did feel a strange lump in my throat at the choices and decision
Estelle
3.5 stars. I loved how this book was so Pro-Planned Parenthood. That's reason enough to pick it up because I rarely read about those experiences in YA. Lots of tough stuff in Evelyn's story with an important focus on "the silent family" and what happens when the struggles in the marriage of the parents affects the whole family in ways you never thought. Also loved Aunt Linda and her daughters. Even stern Nora grew on me. Lots of nuance to these characters and their relationships.

Keywords: teen
Samantha
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I am amazed by this book's ability to make me feel attached to an unborn child (adorably referred to as Bean).

This book is wonderfully written, and is sad, funny, happy, and gut wrenching all at the same time. I didn't even know that was possible. This book is filled with almost every emotion possible (which I can guess is partially due to the hormones that Evie was dealing with).

But I'm really only giving this book 4.75 stars, because (view spoiler)
Dorin
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting incursion in the life of a pregnant teen-girl, with the frustratingly limited view of the world. The writing is quite good, a well done first person you can actually empathize with. You don't necessarily agree with her decisions, but it is interesting to see the decision making process and the views on pregnancy as a first world issue.

Interesting read, well written, and even if the book's ending might disappoint, it is really a realistic and honest ending. I loved that.
Lady Nakhita Asi
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is as real as it could. I like how she acts her age and be so mature at the same time. I hate Todd but I guess he's just as confuse as anyone that would be on that situation. I kinda hate the ending but I like the plot. It was full of emotions. The entire book made me realize that sometimes things don't go the way we wanted because we needed something else. Doesn't mean we never could have it anyway. Just in the right time.
Natasha
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I cried. And cried. And cried. Part way through I started to get annoyed with Evelyn and the way she shut herself off, then something clicked, and I got it. I felt how she was feeling. And I cried. Fabulous book.
❤♥♔Nia♔♥❤
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I find it kinda hard to fathom that this girl is supposed to be asian and she's a real... female dog and I don't like how she's so damn spoiled!

But overally, good.
Miriam
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
i found this forgotten book randomly while cleaning out my basement so i had pretty low expectations but it was actually really good
Khim Anne (someonepurpleblooded)
I cried. Like really crying all throughout the book. It's just so emotional, and painful, and real. It'ss awesome.
Dani love
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was so amazing. I cried way too much though.
katetaan
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm really glad I decided to read this at home as I just spend the last 40ish pages bawling.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jul 04, 2017 02:05PM
  • Brianna on the Brink
  • Bruised
  • Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)
  • Uses for Boys
  • The Reece Malcolm List
  • The Sweet Revenge of Celia Door
  • Fault Line
  • Canary
  • The Art of Wishing (The Art of Wishing, #1)
  • Red
  • Sunny Sweet Is So Not Sorry
  • Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky, #1)
Caela Carter grew up in Basking Ridge, NJ and Baltimore, MD. She's been writing since she learned how to pick up a pen but before the writing thing got serious she spent six years teaching English to middle and high school students in Jacksonville, FL and Chicago, IL. Her debut novel, ME, HIM, THEM AND IT was published in 2013 by Bloomsbury. When she's not writing, Caela is a teacher of some aweso ...more