Start by marking “Our Sunshine” as Want to Read:
Our Sunshine

Robert Drewe

Our Sunshine

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  342 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Ned Kelly is the extraordinary tale of a man whose story outgrew his life. Robert Drewe's re-creation of the inner life of Ned Kelly, the National Hero and Devil Incarnate of Australia, is written with brilliant clarity and impressionistic economy. It carries the reader into a dreamworld of astonishing and violent revelation, an entrancing and frightening landscape of murd ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Our Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Sunshine

Glen O'Brien
The original title of this book is "Our Sunshine." Changing it to "Ned Kelly" is an unfortunate marketing device to tie in with the film that was based on the novel.
Cassandra
The best part is when Drewe writes about the various effects of hangovers via different alcohol, that paragraph always pops into my head when I think about this book. However, its a book based off a movie (or maybe the reverse?) so if you've seen the movie you don't really need to read the book (unless you really liked the movie which I'm guilty of). Overall its a very light read that doesn't really add to anything over than giving you their mindsets throughout the events of Ned Kelly's bandit c ...more
Josiah Morgan
First half potent, second half lackluster, modernism filtered through degrees of narrative pretense. Cut half the words and you might have a great one.
Kim
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
New to me author. Very confusing story line. Narrative was not enjoyable. Very short story. Would not inspire me to watch the film.
Tim Armstrong
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There have been many books, and films about Ned Kelly, a folklore hero in Australia. He coined the term, such is life, that to some has also become a catch cry.
This is the definitive Kelly book and far better than Peter Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang.
Sublime, succinct writing this a must for those who love history but told with imagination and verve. I loved it, and I don't think Drewe has written a better book.
Big Pete
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there is one thing that is certain about Our Sunshine, it's that the prose is superb. Robert Drewe has created a poetry here; be it in the monologue and thoughts of Ned Kelly or in the short sections removed from his view. I know a fair bit about the life and times of Ned Kelly, and Drewe deals with the legend and how it connects to the man behind the (iron) mask.
There are moments here where it actually surpasses Peter Carey's Booker Prize-winner True History of the Kelly Gang (one of my fa
J.M.
May 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Todd Stockslager
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Review title: The original smart-ass
Ned Kelly, in the book (I haven't seen the movie with Heath Ledger and Orlando Bloom) comes across as the lovable smart-ass, but with a sharp edge. In a first-person inner monologue, Drewe tells the story of Australia's most famous outlaw elliptically and sometimes cryptically. Perhaps it is Australia's history as a nation of outlaws that made him so revered and sheltered like no other outlaw save perhaps Robin Hood and Jesse James.

Drewe's Kelly is a spirited
Andrew
Jun 18, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this review first appeared on [http://intraspace.blogspot.com]

this, apparently, is the book that the film 'ned kelly' was based on. as is often the case though, i didn't notice too many similarities other than the fact that both were about ned kelly.

i picked this up as a quick read - a book that anna got at an op shop i think. it turned out to be quite good. the narrative style is almost a stream-of-consciousness approach - it has a poetic quality to it.

i think there is a connection here between
Linda Funnell
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Robert Drewe’s Ned Kelly gets under the skin.

Nine years before Peter Carey published his Booker-winner The True History of the Kelly Gang, he gave a cover endorsement to Robert Drewe’s Our Sunshine, claiming it would ‘forever change the way we see Ned Kelly’. With hindsight, Carey could also have been writing the creative brief for his own, later, achievement.

But back in 1991, the most remarkable thing about the Ned Kelly story was that our best-known folk hero had not received more attention fr
  • Drylands
  • Out of Ireland
  • Power Without Glory
  • Coonardoo
  • Vietnam: The Australian War
  • Joan Makes History
  • Bring Larks And Heroes
  • Don't Wake Me at Doyles: The remarkable memoir of an ordinary Irish woman and her extraordinary life
  • Lost Voices
  • Tom Appleby, Convict Boy
  • The Aunt's Story
  • Three Dollars
  • Mullumbimby
Robert Drewe is among Australia’s most loved writers – of novels, memoir and short stories. His iconic Australian books include The Shark Net, The Bodysurfers and Our Sunshine. He is also editor of Black Inc.’s Best Australian Stories annual series. Recently, he has revisited the short story himself, with a masterful new collection, The Rip. Jo Case spoke to him for Readings about storytelling.
More about Robert Drewe...