Start by marking “The Amphibian” as Want to Read:
The Amphibian

The Amphibian

The Amphibian will throw you back to a time when skin and deep-sea diving had not yet made the Silent World begin yielding up its secrets on a really big scale, as aqualung and snorkel are doing today, and present to you Alexander Belayev's 1928 prevision of the ocean mastered by mankind.

Sea-devil has appeared in the Rio de la Plata. Weird cries out at sea, slashed fisher

Published February 1986 by Raduga Publisher (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about The Amphibian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amphibian

Branimir
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have to re-read the book....so many years have passed.
Nicole Cenkova
My favorite book of all times! I try to re-read it every year and it gets me every time!
Nərmin
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Woow..This book is Fantastic! Really, my first science fiction and I was stunned! Incredible and enjoying! Alexander Belyayev is fantastic writer..This book is first favorite))Ichthyander is part human , part fish.. He is so pure, childish..His love for Guttiere was so nice but unseemingly..It was heartbreakingly beautiful story))))))))
Keira
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I THINK this book is bad. I don't like this book... :(
Redwan Hasan
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read it when I was young, as far as I can remember it was good.
Safiyan Rahman
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
GREAT BOOK. GREAT STORY
Kyra Boisseree
Feb 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So I actually wrote a really long review of this book after I finished it, but then my wifi died and Goodreads ate the review, so I'm just going to say.... Take a good long look at the shitty photo-shopped cover. That is exactly the quality of book you are going to get.
Srutokirti
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who liked The Little Mermaid (and I'm not talking about the Disney adaption)
Recommended to Srutokirti by: Adiba, Aboni and a shitload of hormonal teenagers

Reading The Amphibian is the result of nothing but peer pressure. What I thought was, "sure, since everyone in my class has been enthusiastically reading and recommending it, why not?"

But here's the thing about over-hyped books, they give a reader certain expectations. Expectations they can't always live up to. And I think that's exactly what happened with The Amphibian and I. My classmates told me to expect tears. They told me I'd lose sleep. They told me it would be frickin' awesome.

They were
Shaqer Rasheed
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book aloud to my little brother when we were kids. It always brings back happy childhood memories. Its one of those books that stay with you forever. The ending is unforgettable and makes me long for the father I never knew.
Surjit
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
the best sci-fiction i ever read
Tiffany Wright
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay, I don't know about this edition, but maybe my topmost beef was that I read an edition that was translated from Russian to English VERBATIM. And Russian grammar and sentence structure doesn't always apply to English. At best, it makes the wording sound "foreign." At worst, the English grammar comes off wrong. I couldn't help cringing at the grammatical mistakes a few times. And the redundancy. Also, the translator, Maria K., needs a better editor in general as I caught a few very elementar ...more
Nati San
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of the book was a bit heavy because it was all about deceit and greed which just disgusted me, as it probably was intended to. However, I got much more excited when Ihtiander appeared and the science fiction always came into play, describing his abilities, the underwater world, and his naive goodness. It's interesting that the Salvatore's speech to the jury showed a motivation of giving humans the potential to use the ocean and quite possibly to destroy it's beauty. This left me po ...more
Arquero
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Liked the overall idea. Yet the details were poorly shaped.

Firstly, a whole lot of coincidences.
The protagonist suddenly encounters his father.
He saves a girl at the coast and she happens to be his sister.
He falls in love with her and luckily she comes out to be an adopted sister.
Finally her husband is the man who wants to kidnap our hero.
I mean, well, that's clearly a plot abuse.

It seems Belyaev had chosen Argentina as a distant land to leave his imagination unchecked by his Russian reader
Warren Fournier
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice beach read, with romance, adventure, and superhero pathos all rolled into a quick and entertaining novel. It has quite a few flaws, but nothing that incensed me enough to rant about. Nor did I find any particular inspiration or artistry to also make me gush in a prolonged review.

If you like pirates and mad scientists in one book, ill-fated romance with an Aquaman-type protagonist, good guy vs bad guy action in an exotic setting, this is the kind of story for you.

I read this under the titl
Darren
Enjoyed the descriptions of Ichtiander's underwater escapades, but apart from that was disappointed in the flat style and the messy "plot" in which too much seemed to be going on at once and each strand got chopped/changed.
Salman Farsi
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest classic science fiction!! Love it
Cansu
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it!
It felt like something between Frankenstein and the Island of Doctor Moreau
Eldi Qevani
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars,Its an awesome book,didnt rate it 5 stars because felt that some parts were a little bit boring and the ending felt rushed ...more
Mahid Rahman
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been an ekthiandor in my entire childhood.
Tung Nguyen
at the beginning, the story is O.K. but then the more it is developed, the more stuck it gets. i personal do not like how rushy it reaches the end.
Lindsey
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The adventures of a youth who can breathe underwater on the Argentinian coast in the 1920's.
Shahnewaz Ahmed
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: projapoti-sheba
I enjoyed this book very much. Someday I'll read it again.
Nguyễn Ngọc
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last year
Vân Anh
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tanjinaalam
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this is the book of my adoloscence..after twilight,it is one of my most favourite book
Leosya
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book that I part read in my Russian class, however, I still think that it was a very interesting book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. The author of the book is Alexander Belyaev who is a very well known Russian author. In our Russian class, we had a unit that was somewhat based around him which lead to me reading this book.
The book is a fantasy held in the beginning of the 20th century. The main character, Ichthyander is a half-man half-fish which was caused by a transplant of shar
David Eusebiu
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Best SF ever <3 This book is a father from all SF books.
Anh
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the first sci-fi novels I read. It's in this Russian literature collection for children, including the best works in many genres, from famous writers. A lot of those stories were good, but The Amphibian Man left the deepest impact because I've always had a soft spot for imaginations and romance. I can't say I remember what the story's about because it was so long ago, but I recall there was great love, sacrifice, and suffering.
Titas (I read in bed)
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, classics
One of the best Science fiction I have ever read.
An experiment, heartfelt characters, mad scientist, one after another thrilling situations and a heart wrenching story - everything in one tiny vessel.
Nick
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I read completely (in Russian) as a child, back when I was nine. I remember it being a pleasant read and the story being easy to follow. Curious to read it again as it has been such a long time.

• Бегущая по волнам
  • Малахитовая шкатулка. Уральские сказы
  • The Song of Igor’s Campaign, An Epic of the Twelfth Century
  • Бесприданница
  • Selected Stories
  • Тайна заброшенного замка (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #6)
  • Cynics
Alexander Romanovich Belyaev [Russian: Александр Беляев]; born 16 March 1884 in Smolensk, Russian Empire; died 6 January 1942 in Pushkin, USSR]
Born in Smolensk, at the age of 30 Alexander became ill with tuberculosis. Treatment was unsuccessful; the infection spread to his spine and resulted in paralysis of the legs. Belyayev suffered constant pain and was paralysed for six years. In search for th