Start by marking “Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales

Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  95,557 Ratings  ·  577 Reviews
Many of the earliest children's books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. Pook Press are working to republish these classic works in affordable, high quality, colour editions, using the original text and artwork so these works can delight another generation of children.
Published April 16th 2013 by Pook Press (first published 1835)

To ask other readers questions about Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Wendy I have seen copies at used book stores. But look closely before buying, I have seen abridged or edited versions more often than the complete works.

James
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to The Complete Fairy Tales, written in 1835 by Hans Christian Andersen. Many people are familiar with the fairy tales written by the Grimm brothers, but sometimes don't realize there were several different versions or collections by different authors. Another popular one is the series written by Hans Christian Anderson. The two I was the most familiar with were "The Ugly Duckling" and "The Emperor's New Clothes." In both, you see some of the "horror" that you see
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Complete Fairy Tales: The complete collection, Hans Christian Andersen
Hans Christian Andersen often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen, (2 April 1805 – 4 August 1875) was a Danish author.
All the best-loved fairy tales of Hans Christian Andersen: The Tinder-Box; Little Claus And Big Claus; The Princess And The Pea; Little Ida’s Flowers; Little Tiny Or Thumbelina; The Saucy Boy; The Travelling Companion; The Little Mermaid; The Emperor’s New Suit; The Goloshes Of Fortune;
The Daisy;
Michael Finocchiaro
If you want to read the real stories that inspired the lion's share of Disney films, definitely read Mr. Andersen's collection of fairy tales. Do not expect happy endings however - leave those to Walt&Co. Instead imagine families trying to scare their kids into behaving in order to survive the many dangers in this world - represented fantastically by witches and wolves and other beasties and meanies. A wonderful collection!
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
Although some of the tales are really disturbing, the fantasy and imagination behind them is indisputable. I grew up reading this book and I'm sure it'll be valuable for all future generations.
Eldonfoil TH*E Whatever Champion
Strangely, despite four decades on Earth, I have almost no familiarity with this gentleman Hans. If I can live another 4 decades, I doubt I'll forget about him from here on out.

What is most generally striking/perplexing to me is how these stories came to be known as children tales, came to be widely accepted and popular rather than scorned. I don't think it's just my glasses that view Hans Christian Andersen as a soul that senses more darkness than light. “Yes, every year the trees have new, fr
Bettie☯
Taking the FutureLearn course from Odense. You can find the complete tales online here

HC Andersen Museum Collection

1 Corinthians Chapter 13

Catechism in Christianity
Erasmia Kritikou
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Πέντε αστέρια για τις υπέροχες ιστορίες του Πατέρα όλων των παραμυθιών -με αυτο το ιδιότυπα λυπηρό, συνηθως τέλος που αγαπά να δίνει στους ήρωές του- μείον ένα αστέρι για τις λιγότερο ευφανταστες και αρκετα τσεκουρεμενες περιληψεις των εκδ. susaeta, καθως και την ελλειψη εντεχνου λόγου. Τεσσερα αστερια στο συνολο και για την συλλογή και διαλογή στη συγκεκριμενη εκδοση: γνωστα παραμυθια οπως η Τοσοδουλα, το Ασχημοπαπο, Άριελ η μικρή γοργόνα, το Κοριτσακι με τα Σπίρτα, αλλά και λιγοτερο γνωστα, εω ...more
hossein sharifi
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC !!!!
I dreamt of Wind and Rain... I ran with Fairies... Cats whispered to me from dawn to dusk ... I could feel the breeze touching trees' hair.
I was living in the fairy tales till the end of the book !
.......................................................
I would like to recommend this to all who want to escape from the harshness of this so called "real world" ! ... It will open a door of dreams to you !
Kübra Yağmur
Andersen, namı diğer masalların babası...

Bir zamanlar masalları uykuya dalmadan önce yüzlerde tebessüm bırakan güzel dinletiler zannederdim. Büyüdükçe hayat kadar korkunç ve gerçek olduklarını anlamaya başladım.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Saw this on the shelf at my library yesterday when I was browsing the audiobook selection, and used my Goodreads barcode app to scan it in from when I listened to it several months ago. I mostly enjoyed this, although I didn't love all the stories and I kept falling asleep on others as I listened (a hazard associated with listening to audiobooks at bedtime). Listening to 'The Little Mermaid' brought back that sense of sadness and poignancy of reading this much-loved story as a child. There are o ...more
Simona Bartolotta
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1800, collections
Belle, belle, bellissime. Intense, delicate, soavi, alcune allegre altre tristi, ma tutte in grado portarti nel mondo dei sogni e dell'innocenza dell'infanzia.

“Ah, che ragazzaccio è mai questo Amor! Lo voglio dire a tutti i bambini buoni, perchè se ne guardino, e non giochino mai con lui: già, egli non farebbe loro che male...” [...] Tutti i buoni fanciulli, ragazzine e ragazzini, ai quali raccontò il fatto, si tengono ora in guardia contro il cattivello; ma egli è così scaltro ed accorto, che r
Ghazal Kazemi
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
فکر کنم عشقم به کتاب خوندن رو مدیون این مجموعه داستانم، مرسی هانس کریستین آندرسن❤
Mykee  Tan
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I get exhausted from listening to lectures, writing papers, making reports or solving problems at the university, I always find that at the end of the day, all I need to calm down my traffic jam of a six-day school week is a pleasant story from Andersen's collection of stories.

There is something so compelling about Andersen's tales. They are the simplest, shortest stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading and yet, their morals leave me thinking far past the stories themselves and
Michael
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having recently moved to Denmark I needed to get familiar with its number one writer! This was a wonderful collection of stories, some rather dark truth be told but that's what makes them so special. They are fantastical, gritty, funny, sad and everything real writing should be. Classic storytelling which will stand the test of time.
Noelle
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully selected works set in a fantastic translation, Hans Christian Anderson’s The Complete Fairy Tales and Stories is a wonderful introduction to the author’s work. His famous works are included and the translations are just as engaging as Anderson’s original tales. What is pertinent about Anderson’s work is his descriptions and gift for imagery. For example, in ‘The Little Mermaid’ Anderson opens his story by describing the colors and textures of the undersea kingdom that is both lyrical ...more
Van
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should an apocalypse ever befall, this is the first book I'm putting in my survival bag.

I don't think I can properly review this book, and I don't intend to. However, I cannot be silent about it when it had had such an impact on me. The Complete Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen encompass all beauty, darkness, and light there is in the world - in the human soul.

These are charming stories for everyone of every age. Some tales are happy, and some are very, very sad. Yet they are beautifully w
Emma
I'm not going to lie- this was a bit of a slog. Some of the stories are very good (typically the famous ones, like the Little Mermaid, or the Emperor's New Clothes). Many others dragged on, and were too moral for me (eg. a little girl loves wearing red shoes, so she is punished for her vanity).

Would not recommend- especially not this 1000+ page anthology. I'd never have gotten through it without some back to back flights.
Adam Nelson
I've waited too long after reading this one to remember many specifics, so my rating and my review have more to do with an overall impression. I really enjoyed parts of this collection as well as valued the stories for their literary heritage. However, as I was reading this to my boys to put them to sleep at night, I began having a very hard time with the several stories Andersen wrote in which children died cruelly, either to teach them a lesson or because it was, simply, the way of things. It' ...more
Prashant
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
author : Hans Anderson. How have I never heard this name before. How is it even possible. This man has created the most poignant of my childhood stories and I have come to know about him so late in my life. Well, at least it was not unlike the other learning of my life : always late but you will get there, trust me!

The tales are familiar because they have been adopted in all possible media since decades. Thumbelina, The Princess and the Pea, The king's new Clothes, The Mermaid were beyond fun. I
Aurelie
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I first read Andersen's Fairy Tales when I was 8, and since then I frequently re-read them, as I love them so much.
Hans Christian Andersen was categorical: his stories were not intended for children, they were aimed at grown-ups. When you read them, you obviously understand why. These stories are totally different from the Disney's adaptations that nearly everyone know (but I'm a huge fan of them too, don't get me wrong)!
The edition I own contains : The Little Mermaid, The Flying Trunk (my thoug
Ashley Leader
I am currently working my way through this monstrously large collection of tales (there are 156 in over a thousand pages). They are a nice antidote to other books I am reading. There are well-known favorites like The Little Mermaid and The Ugly Duckling as well as many you will have never heard of, like The Magic Galoshes and Auntie Toothache. Hans Christian Andersen's writing style is unique and well-suited to reading aloud. The descriptions of landscape and setting are articulate, vivid and im ...more
Shannon
Oh dear. This guy wrote some truly depressing stuff. I did not end up reading all the stories in this book because they were bringing me down. I read the most famous ones, and even those depressed me. Yikes.
Allen
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Hans Christian Andersen on my iPad, Macsimus Tango. That means that the book listed here isn't the exact book that I read since I read Gutenberg's version, which is a collection of only a few dozen of the fairy tales. I put this book on my virtual bookshelf because this is the book that I put on my actual bookshelf since I ordered a version of the complete fairy tales from Amazon. My opinion is that if you read an important author then you should own all of the important works and you sho ...more
Kathryn
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Hans Christian Anderson (known as H. C. Anderson in Denmark and the rest of Scandinavia) (1805 – 1875) was a Danish author of short fiction, travelogues, and novels, but he is best known as the author of fairy tales, the first edition of which he published in 1835, with additional material added in the next two years. As fairy tales are generally short, I found this book to be great bedtime reading, and I finished it last night before going to sleep.

This collection contains such well-known gems
S.J. Pettersson
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HCA seems like such a close friend and fellow human traveller to me. Once in Denmark, in front of a beautiful bronze statue of him sitting calmly on a chair, I felt so close to his pain. And what could be a better way of dedicating your life than instead of wallowing in your personal pain, than to spread beauty and kindness through your art and immortal words. I don't think there has ever been a writer who managed to stay so true to his own personal difficulties and struggles and yet at the same ...more
Christopher Roberts
Aug 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore, fantasy
Perhaps if I had chosen a more concise abridged collection featuring the best of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales I would not have reacted so negatively but I doubt it. I made it a third of the way through this collection and then I started skipping around to his more famous stories. Of all of them only The Emperor's New Clothes brought me any joy. All the rest of them were pure torture.

It isn't because I dislike fairy tales. I read Charles Perrault's fairy tales rather recently and foun
Morgan
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, translation
I still love my fairy tales, so you'd think I'd have read Hans Christian Anderson before, well I've only read one or two stories previously. Finally had the nerve to read this 800 page monster of a book. Even though these stories are meant for children, compared to modern children stories, they are heavy with material that might be over their heads. Maybe it's a good thing I waited. I also recommend reading this in the winter during Christmas time.

One thing that took me by surprise was the amoun
Sara
Being a Dane means being held down and force fed Hans Christian Andersen until you gag.

I have a hard time being objective about the work of H. C. Andersen. Because my whole life I have been TOLD that he is a genius and I have been TOLD to be proud of him. It is like I have been born in to a cult.

It's not that I don't like his work. I mean, clearly it has it's merits. But I don't think it is anything spectacular either. And when it comes to fairy tales, I much prefer the kind that have an oral
Eden
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fairy tales
5 stars

Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tales have been a part of my childhood so I was surprised that I was not familiar with the tales on this book (with the exception of The Wild Swans, which is one of my favourites).

I suppose the reason for this is the tales I read as a child all had happy endings, while most of the tales on this book do not, which makes them more appropriate for adult readers.

The beauty of this book is that there are happy and sad stories, about people, animals and flowers,
Emma
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is bittersweet for me. Being from Denmark, I've grown up listening to H.C. Andersen's stories. He's like our number one cultural treasure. When it comes to certain stories, I been forced to read them so many times I've grown sick of them. Danish teachers would time and time again make us go through the same stories, and there were a few years, when even the mention of his name would make me want to scream. It was simply too much of a good thing.
But he's written so many stories, and as I got
Goodreads Librari...: Separating Andersen collections 3 32 Aug 24, 2016 10:27AM
  • The Complete Tales
  • Irish Fairy and Folk Tales
  • The Wonderful Adventures of Nils
  • English Fairy Tales
  • The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-4)
  • The Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It
  • Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens / Peter and Wendy
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express themes that transcend age and nationalit ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...
“Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.” 945 likes
“‎"Does all the beauty of the world stop when you die?"

"No," said the Old Oak; "it will last much longer - longer than I can even think of."

"Well, then," said the little May-fly, "we have the same time to live; only we reckon differently.”
56 likes