Start by marking “Measure of Darkness (Randall Shane, #4)” as Want to Read:
Measure of Darkness (Randall Shane, #4)

Measure of Darkness (Randall Shane #4)

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Here are the facts

For the parents whose children have been taken, for the broken lives we piece back together one relentless investigation at a time, our town house is a sanctuary.

My name is Alice Crane. I'm just one of a talented team working for Naomi Nantz, the brilliant and very private detective.

Today that sanctuary was violated. The famous kid-finder Randall Shane wa
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published November 15th 2011 by Mira (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Measure of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Measure of Darkness

Rebecca
I have some mixed feelings about Measure of Darkness. It had a really good mystery to it, but I wasn’t really a fan of the narrative.
The mystery aspect was really good. There were some things that were fairly standard about it but then there were small details that just didn’t make much sense so I kept reading because I was curious as to how they fit into the overall picture. There were also some bizarre events orchestrated by the bad guys and it just added this extra layer to the mystery that m
Vivian
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Take one missing, possibly abducted child, one deceased research physicist, one missing Chinese national, one top secret, government-sponsored research project, and one secret possibly black ops force and find the common denominator. All are key components in Measure of Darkness by Chris Jordan.

Measure of Darkness is a suspense thriller centering on the missing, possibly abducted child of the now-deceased research physicist. Dr. Joseph Keener hired renowned child finder Randall Shane to locate h
Rhonda
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS
It was a well plotted book, with a whole team set in place to work behind the scenes to help when authorities can't. I don't know if their have been books before with this group but I can see where many more can come from it. I will read more from Chris Jordan if I get the chance.
A little boy named Joey who is 5 year old genuis with music is kidnapped. His father is a genuis in his field but socially does not work well with others. He has been murdered and the chief suspect is his own P.I
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wasn't aware when I chose this title to review that Measure of Darkness is a spinoff of sorts from Chris Jordan's series (Taken, Trapped and Torn) featuring Randall Shane, an ex FBI agent who has become a child recovery expert. In the previous novels I believe Shane has had brief contact with a member of Naomi Nantz's investigators but while Shane has a crucial role to play in this story it focuses on the team of privately funded investigators.
Funded by the mysterious Benefactor and managed b
Mark
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I was at once intrigued and beguiled by the bubbling point of view of administrative assistant Alice Crane, who basically narrates the entire story for us with tongue-in-cheek humor. Naomi Nantz, private investigator extraordinaire, has put together a team of retired law enforcement, attorneys, and hackers, not to mention their live-in cordon-bleu chef, to review and resolve those crimes that lesser human beings cannot handle.
In this case, the team is brought in by world famous child rescuer and
Shay Williams
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, thriller
MEASURE OF DARKNESS has to be one of the more unique suspense/thrillers that I have ever ran across. It is written in a narrative style that reminds of the hard hitting detective stories from the fifties. Heck, one the team, Jack Delancey, could even pass for one of those detectives with his sense of style and his turn of phrases.

It took me a little bit to actually get into this book as I am not that familiar with this style of writing but once I did, I wasn't able to put it down. Even though th
D.B. Reynolds
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Now this is a unique book. It's written in an almost noirish, fifties sort of narrative. Kind of a novel of manners and a hard-boiled detective thriller rolled into one. It took me a few pages to get into the narrative flavor, but once there, I never looked back. This is a tightly written suspense story, with lots of action and personality. It's an ensemble piece, with many characters, each playing a role, none more important than the others. There are some visitors to the tale, and they're also ...more
Pat
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Hmm - maybe 3 1/2 stars. A big improvement on his last book. Written in a different style, narrated in the first person by quite an engaging character, the book reads a bit like an old school detective story. The plot, although mired in conspiracy theory, is good - quite complex and it keeps you guessing until the end which is not as simple as good triumphing over evil. A solid effort.
Kelly
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed...liked how good guy didn't always win
Jennifer Szustakowski
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, but it just didn't flow very well to me.
Jenny Mandeville
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another great book in the Randall Shane series, even though he wasn't the main character of this book! Hoping Chris Jordan writes more of them!
Darla Stokes
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice convoluted mystery. This is another book with a private investigator firm staffed with people of diverse talents--is this a new sub-genre?
Jill
Nov 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was just okay for me.
Kim
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was a good book
Cindy
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Exciting & clean - liked the witty banter. Will continue the series. Well narrated and recommended.
Brigitta
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Alice! She was very witty. They mystery behind Naomi was very intriguing and the other characters were lovable. A very good plot with twists and turns. Wonderful!!
Rachael
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a great read, with a funny main character. However, I thought it would be more suspenseful and it wasn't.
Diane
Feb 15, 2016
George
Mar 11, 2012
Coleen Marlo
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Mindy
Jul 04, 2013
Barbara Assarian
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Kiss Of Death (Sophie Anderson, #5)
  • In Close (Bulletproof, #3)
  • Dark Sins and Desert Sands (Mythica #5)
  • Teacher Plus Two (In the Eyes, #2)
  • His Heart's Obsession
  • Unscripted
  • The Harder They Fall
  • Sacrifice of Passion
  • Icebound
  • Stellarnet Rebel (Stellarnet, #1)
  • Texas Pride (Night Riders, #6)
  • The Mighty Quinns: Riley (The Mighty Quinns, #16)
  • Masques of Gold
  • Tattooed (Kate Lange #3)
  • A Win-Win Proposition
  • Lord of Fire and Ice
  • First Watch
  • The Last Real Cowboy / The Rancher's Runaway Princess (Cadence Creek Cowboys, #1)
Librarian Note: There are several authors in the GoodReads database with this name.

Aka Rodman Philbrick, William R. Dantz, W.R. Philbrick

Rodman Philbrick is an outstanding author who has won the prestigious American Library Association Best Book for Young Adults and Quick Pick Awards. Freak the Mighty has been made into a Hollywood film.

More about Chris Jordan...

Randall Shane (4 books)
  • Taken (Randall Shane, #1)
  • Trapped  (Randall Shane, #2)
  • Torn   (Randall Shane, #3)