Start by marking “Prima Scriptura: An Introduction to New Testament Interpretation” as Want to Read:
Prima Scriptura: An Introduction to New Testament Interpretation

Prima Scriptura: An Introduction to New Testament Interpretation

This introduction to New Testament exegesis proceeds from the preparation of the interpreter through analysis of the text to appropriation in the community.
Published April 1st 2011 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about Prima Scriptura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prima Scriptura

Ron W.
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I am not a Bible scholar, I did pick this book up after completing a Masters degree in Religion. I found it very helpful in learning how to read the New Testament in its proper context without having to go through all the process of learning 1st century Greek. I recommend this book to anyone wishing to engage in any real interpretation and insight into the gospels at an introductory level.
Clint Boyd
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of two required readings (of this type) for Advanced New Testament Exegesis. The other was Blomberg's handbook. Both are great. Croy takes on a more casual, engaging tone, and is very helpful. I recommend reading both. Prima Scriptura is obviously titled to take a jab at Sola Scriptura, the notion the Reformers named such to show their allegiance to scripture over tradition. Well, says Croy, that's great, but tradition too plays an important role in obtaining and understanding the canon, so ...more
Margaret
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding introduction to exegesis

If you are about the process of learning NT exegesis, you could choose no better and more balanced account. This is not a liberationist text, but evangelical and progressive (and progressive evangelical) interpreters will find much wealth here.

This is best for readers who have elementary facility with NT Greek.
Ben
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Useful, helpful, exceptionally dry - all words that sum up this book. It is for all intents and purposes a text book and reads as such. It reminds me a lot of books I used in homiletics courses and does a good job at it. It its however not compelling reading.
Радостин Марчев
Nicole Wegele
Aug 23, 2016
Joshua White
Mar 03, 2018
“God of truth and revelation, In many and various ways you spoke through the prophets in the past. Now you have revealed yourself supremely through your Son, Jesus. And through the Holy Spirit you recall to our minds and refresh what Jesus taught. We give thanks for your faithful servants who, under the inspiration of your Spirit, told stories, handed down laws, preserved prophetic utterances and sayings of the wise, recorded the words and deeds of our Lord and of his followers, exhorted the faithful, rebuked the wayward, and envisioned your ultimate victory. Reveal to us your truth through the sacred text. Grant that our eyes may carefully perceive, that our minds may soundly analyze, and that our lives may be joyously transformed by your living and active Word. Through the cleansing, empowering, and instruction of your written Word, make us better disciples of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Word, in whose name we pray. Amen.” 0 likes