Start by marking “The Taste” as Want to Read:
The Taste

The Taste

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
After his mother dies, Jake Wheeler returns to his birthplace of Dark Springs, West Virginia, seeking solace among his kin. But his family’s unique comfort food includes some ingredients Jake's not sure he can stomach.

They eat dead people.

Discovering that skeleton in the pantry and adjusting to a new diet turn out to be the least of Jake’s worries. Storm clouds have gather
Published August 23rd 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Taste, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taste

Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was GREAT! Which seems kind of odd to me considering these people eat human flesh. I love horror and gore in books and movies so this novel was right up my alley. The writing is great, the plot well thought out, and the characters are perfect. I was hooked until the very last page. Alan Orloff, writing as his darker persona Zak Allen, did an excellent job.

Jake comes to Dark Springs, WV after his mother passed away upon the request of his Aunt Cora. Nothing is what he expects when he a
Frances
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I must admit I was fascinated by this book, ( and a little sick). The characters were well written and despite my turning stomach I found myself caring about several of them. The story line absolutely held my interest. I would say this is an Indie book that lets you know just how good Indie Authors can be. It is a horror story that has family loyalty, family feud, love and suspense mixed in. It was a different read for me - most of the books I read lately where someone is eating someone deal wit ...more
Stephen Parrish
Jake Wheeler ventures out of Las Vegas to visit his aunt and uncle in rural West Virginia after his mother dies. There he learns his relatives, and their odd neighbors, are full of surprises. The biggest surprise, however, is what Jake learns about himself. Agatha Award finalist Orloff, writing as Zak Allen, does a good job of creating tension, employing cliffhangers, foreshadowing plot points. And serving up unique flavors: the novel certainly has a taste of its own. For fans of Thomas Tryon.
Betsy Ashton
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Alan Orloff's ability to blend horror (in the guise of cannibalism) with suspense (what will Jake Wheeler, the protagonist, do after he discovers his family secret) makes this a page turner. In the manner of Thomas Tryon's Harvest Home, figuring out the secret is only half of the pleasure in reading this book. The other half is figuring out what Jake will do -- and what you would do if you learned a horrible family secret.

Not for the squeamish, but worth sticking around for the ending.
Jan
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I would have rated this book a 5 all the way until the end, but I wanted to know more than the ending told me. I had trouble putting the book down, that's for sure. I'd like to see a sequel.
Chris
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once I started reading this book, I could not put it down. Extremely creepy, but well written. I loved it. Awesome book.
Bekah
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Was very well-written, and kept me reading straight through. Word to the wise, though, the story is disgusting and turned my stomach quite a few times.
Dena
Jul 03, 2013
Raven Elise
Nov 10, 2014
Alan Orloff
Aug 25, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Mattie
May 17, 2014
  • Dark Passage
  • Colony of the Lost
  • The Clinic
  • The Puppet Maker's Bones  (Death's Order, #1)
  • My Family
  • The Thoughtful Spot
  • Twisted Vengeance (Twisted Vengeance, #1)
  • Freudian Slip
  • Twenty Poems That Could Save America and Other Essays
  • Some Kind of Normal
  • Strings
  • Episodes: My Life as I See It
  • Tortured Dreams
  • Katy's Decision (Katy Lambright Series, #4)
  • Intoxication
  • Bad Girl
  • The Soul Seekers
  • Homesick
Before Alan stepped off the corporate merry-go-round, he had an eclectic (some might say disjointed) career. As an engineer, he worked on nuclear submarines, supervised assembly workers in factories, facilitated technology transfer from the Star Wars program, and learned to stack washing machines three high in a warehouse with a forklift. He even started his own recycling and waste reduction newsl ...more
More about Alan Orloff...