Jump to ratings and reviews

Without Rain There Can Be No Rainbows

New Zealand is home to wave-filled coastlines, meandering trout streams, and the intense Maori culture. For Ryan, an elementary school teacher, it's also a world where animals are loved and lost and a brother is gone but never forgotten. For years Ryan dreamed of teaching overseas but would never break the bond with his first dog, Toughy. With Toughy's premature death, though, Ryan finds himself mourning his best friend while booking a flight to his childhood dream destination. In a new country with no friends and no prearranged job, he finally confronts his brother's passing, bonds with a class of Maori children in a beautiful and sometimes dangerous land, and slowly learns to love new pets. All the while, he longs for the seemingly unattainable woman he left behind. Mr. Chin, as his students call him, learns what it means to live life "full on."

272 pages, Paperback

5 books1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (4%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews
Profile Image for Cynthia  Sherman.
428 reviews10 followers
October 28, 2012
This is a Good Reads First Reads book giveaway. This book is amazing. It is non-fiction, but it is an easy read. There is constant movement within these scenes, and I can visualize myself on the adventures that this author has. I love the scenery, the animals, New Zealand, and especially the ending. This book is well written despite the author saying there are a few proofreading errors. I am working on looking for them now. My first reading was just getting to know the author, his life, his adventures, and learning the path that he has chosen to follow. I recommend this book to everyone to read. It is fabulous. Teaching has never looked so good. Bravo!!!!
August 14, 2017
I can relate to his situation after losing a pet and moving out of your comfort zone. I live in the same state and moved twice away from everyone and being around a different atmosphere. It's been almost a year since my Geisha (dog) was put to sleep and I think about her when I go on walks especially along Lake Michigan. She would have loved it. He reminisces about the past and at times the past doesn't let's us move on so live the present which I think most of us forget about and let the future happen, it will come.
Profile Image for Brett.
32 reviews2 followers
July 24, 2012
A wonderful multimedia memoir by inspirational author, educator, wanderer, Ryan Chin. For anyone that has ever lost someone close, or dreamt of leaving the path laid out in front of them, and finding something new.
Profile Image for Oceana.
2 reviews
Want to read
August 23, 2012
This compelling story relates to how I see myself teaching. I would love to visit New Zealand and what better way to know about the Maori Culture but read about it in a first account story.
Profile Image for Ryan Chin.
9 reviews1 follower
August 14, 2012
Hello! I am the author of Without Rain There Can Be No Rainbows, a pet and teacher memoir sandwiched into an overseas adventure. The story is a multimedia experience if you want it to be one. There are two dozen videos that I shot and edited to enhance the story.

The videos are meant to be viewed between the lines as you are reading—I have taken great care in choosing the videos’ content and their placement with the goal of building on the ideas, emotions, or images presented in the text. Some are simply quick clips of raw footage, but most are edited with musical scores, voiceovers, and meticulously crafted sequences. They’ll act as a window into New Zealand culture and my experiences as I lived and taught there. All the videos are short—ranging from thirty seconds to three and a half minutes.

The book is dedicated to my loved ones.
Past, present, and future.
Furry and non-furry

Hope you enjoy. Sweet as Mate!

P.S. The iPad version available at iTunes is kick-ass because the videos are embedded on the page.

A short description and a video explaining the multimedia delivery.
Profile Image for Lela.
375 reviews100 followers
October 14, 2012
I like this book very much. The story was fascinating and full of such interesting characters. Really keeps your interest. I like the idea Ryan Chin had to combine his video talents with his writing talents but it didn't work for me as he envisioned. It could easily be done with an iPad or something like that. I'm not sure how it would work on Kindle. Anyway, I enjoyed them separately and could recall the writing when I watched the video first and vice versa. Very clever. "Mistah Chinn's" voice sparkles when he talks about the Maori kids and the beach and fishing. I didn't identify as much with his obsession with the animals. I have loved several dogs and cats but I never reached his emotional platform. But, he obviously is devoted to whatever or whoever he falls in love with! Definitely worth reading and watching!
Profile Image for Lisa Cohn.
Author 8 books295 followers
November 28, 2014
This is a beautifully written and touching story about the author's adventures as a teacher in New Zealand and about healing from loss. It has something for every reader--adventure, heartbreak and romance and is full of pearls of wisdom. The author opens his heart in ways that make you like him instantly and cheer for him, hoping he'll get the teaching job, the girl of his dreams, and find happiness. As a reader who, like the author, has lost a brother and recently a dog, this book brought me to tears many times. Looking forward to more from this talented author!
Profile Image for Kristen.
483 reviews
March 1, 2015
Interesting guy and I can relate to his heartbreak at the loss of his beloved Toughy. I also found his teaching methodology and ideas really interested. I'd never really thought much about how to teach 5-7 year olds, that it's more than just rote learning of letters and numbers etc.
And the culture and setting were also really interesting. Enjoyable read.
11 reviews
Read
April 18, 2012
The neighbor loaned me this book, and I loved it. A retired teacher, I could relate to his experiences. As as animal lover, I felt for his loss and new found love in Big Head. I found myself wanting to go to New Zealand. It is a good read.
Profile Image for El.
1 review
August 13, 2012
Love this multi media book - interactive with videos. You can view the place Ryan is visiting. Loved learning about New Zealand and Ryan's journey. Heartfelt story of love, loss and living in the now.
Profile Image for Janet.
43 reviews1 follower
August 30, 2015
There were some parts of the book that I plan to copy out ... to have handy to think about again and again in different times and situations. He writes partly about teaching in a small village in New Zealand, but it is more his relationship with people and the community that is front & center.
Profile Image for Ry.
8 reviews1 follower
December 3, 2011
good stuff- truly a refreshing little yarn!
i enjoyed the direct/honest style-
there is something for everyone in this book.
Profile Image for Mary.
170 reviews8 followers
August 3, 2016
Thank you GoodReads First Reads giveaways for my winning copy of this book. It is an affirmation of life and love.
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.