Start by marking “Leyendas de los Otori” as Want to Read:
Leyendas de los Otori

Leyendas de los Otori (Tales of the Otori #3)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  16,679 Ratings  ·  413 Reviews
In the final installment of the Tales of the Otori, the young Takeo meets his destiny, fulfilling the prophesy: "You were born into the Hidden, but your life . . . is no longer your own."

The stage is set: Takeo and his new bride Kaede are on the brink of starting a war to reclaim the lands that are her rightful claim by birth, with a thousand loyal warriors by their side.
Published February 2005 by Alfaguara (first published 2003)

Alina
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great series about ancient Japan with its samurais and their conduct codes, ninja-like fighters, Christians' persecutions; it has political scheming, interesting turnabouts, intriguing liaisons between characters, sword fights, love, treachery, friendship.
The characters are well-developed, complex, with inner turmoil and weaknesses.
“You should never despise people because they haven’t had your opportunities.”
Vaso
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and nice story!!!!
Karlo
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alt-history
Having purchased all five books on the strength of the first, I am at a crossroads. This book delivered the lyrical, descriptive language that I found so enchanting in Book 1, and it also provided some plot twists that kept me on my toes. Where I felt it faltered was in the resolution of the story; which seemed to get wrapped up in what seemed like 15-20 pages or so. The denouement was even less palatable, with a fell of "and 20 years later...."

***SPOILER ALERT: The pivotal role that the pirate
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, japanese, own
The stories take place in a fantasy world based on ancient Japan. The stories follow a boy, Takeo, as he is thrust into a warrior-based society after his family is slaughtered. It also follows the tale of Kaede, a beautiful, but cursed girl who becomes the love and passion of Takeo's life.

The stories are derivative of many boy-hero books, you'll see hints of Lord of the Rings, and even Star Wars if you look carefully enough. While the book relies heavily on this style, it doesn't take away from
Petros
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jack
Jodie
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This is a trilogy that has been sat on my shelves for years. I read Across the Nightingale Floor when I was a teenager, I can’t remember when I read it first but I then bought the sequel Grass For His Pillow straight after and I never finished it. Then, much much later, I found the third and final book in a charity shop and bought Brilliance of the Moon. Again I tried to reread the series but never finished. I made it my mission this year to do it. I was not putting it off again. So I decided to ...more
Debbi
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book in the "Tales of the Otori" but not really the end of the story so maybe they'll be another... I enjoyed reading these. They take place in a medieval Japan. A boy, Takeo, is rescued by Lord Otori who will become his adopted father. The story centers around Takeo, the love of his life, Kaede, the Tribe, and the feudal wars of the time.

There is a prequel to these called, "Heaven's Net is Wide". I'm starting it now but I wish I would have read it first.
Florin Pitea
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite impressive both in terms of plot and regarding style. Recommended.
Bettie☯
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong third book.
Michela
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"As pessoas se apegam a suas crenças como se pudessem ser salvas por elas, no entanto, além de todos os ensinamentos, há um lugar de verdade em que é tudo um só."
Patrícia Branquinho
Worse than the second book, still keeps the epic adventure feeling while reading it. However, the quiet and slow pace of the second book that allows for one to feel the oriental scenery, is totally lost on this one. Action follows action, and all the necessary description (that was very well accomplished on the second book), is left aside, leaving the reader with much difficulty to feel all the fights, feelings, changes and even understand properly plot twists.
Still, it is very easy to read and
Tracy Smyth
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars - I’m really enjoying this series. Great read
Arminzerella
Michael Schmid
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Der letzte Teil der einstigen Trilogie verspricht genau das, was ich mir erhofft und was ich auch erwartet habe. Alles, was im 2. Band aufgebaut wurde, wird nun ausgearbeitet, verarbeitet und zu einem Abschluss gebracht und ich kann nur sagen, das Ende passt perfekt und ist richtig stimmig und hat mich berührt.

Was ich an dieser Reihe so liebe ist vor allem Lian Hearns Schreibstil, der mich immer wieder an eine Japanerin erinnert. Natürlich trägt dies auch ihre Welt bei, die sich stark an das Jap
Jeraviz
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Después de la nefasta segunda parte. Hearn remonta un poco el vuelo en esta entrega. Los personajes ya están donde quería la autora y ya puede llevar a cabo los acontecimientos que llevamos tanto tiempo sabiendo gracias a la Profecía, que se nos recuerda cada 2 páginas.
Pues eso, ocurren y sabemos que van a ocurrir de antemano. El único interés es descubrir cómo. Y el cómo es entretenido, tiene alguna escena bastante visual e impactante...pero nada del otro mundo. Los malos son muy malos, los bue
Nathan Burgoine
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Listening to this trilogy has been like immersing myself in a wonderfully developed myth of old Japan. It's fantastic, and if you've never listened to 'Across the Nightingale Floor,' then that is where you need to start.

In the third volume, things are perched on the precipice. Can Takeo take his destiny into his own hands, and use war to bring peace to the lands? Will Kaede, who has become so much more than a helpless young woman, finally take control and escape the paper and silk prison she has
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Σαν σύνολο η τριλογία ήταν μαγευτική κι η μεσαιωνική Ιαπωνία φαντάζει παράξενα οικεία. Ίσως επειδή η συγγραφέας δεν είναι Γιαπωνέζα; Ή επειδή η γραφή της είναι τέτοια που σε βάζει τόσο έντονα στο κλίμα; Το απόλαυσα και αυτό όπως και τα άλλα δύο μέρη. Χαρακτηριστικά το τελείωσα μέσα σε λίγες μόνο ώρες
Fannyahlnorling
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sällan kan jag vara så säker på att en trilogi kommer att lämna mig med sådan saknad bara minuter efter att jag stängt boken.
Belle Sabattin
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recomiendo esta saga en un 100%!! Sus libros son Fantasticos!! No me arrepiento para nada de haber comenzado esta relectura *-*
Miglė Keliotytė
This one was way better than Grass for His Pillow , but still, I found the ending of it a little bit rushed. But fans of the previous parts of the series shoud definitely read it.
Lady Entropy
Jan 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Brilliance of the Moon, por Lian Hearn é um livro que se passa num pseudo-japão, com ninjas à mistura, sobre um miúdo que nasce numa comunidade pseudo-cristã, e que é raptado por ninjas, treinado, e depois se torna num senhor da guerra.

Ou seja, cultura japonesa a rodos.

O que me deveria fazer AMAR estes livros, certo?

Infelizmente, errado.

Quando sairam originalmente, fiquei entusiasmadíssima, e fui comprar os dois primeiros a correr. Infelizmente, como é meu hábito, pus os livros para ler depois e
Bigsna
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third installment of the series was a bit redeeming after a promising Book One and a disappointingly slow Book Two. Book Three makes you work for it though, as the interesting twists came after I was halfway through.

I had thought that this was a 3 part series, though I now realise its actually 5 - with a prequel and final book from the point of view of Takeo's son. So in a way, it is a trilogy of Takeo Otori's story.
I don't think I will be picking up the other two books unless I am looking
Rachel
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This final book in the trilogy did not disappoint. I enjoyed the interlacing of history, with mystery, magic, myth and legend, set within a Medieval Japan consisting of exotic sounding names, places and a strongly feudal and warrior based society. I look forward to reading the additional two books in this series - a sequel and prequel.
Hanabi Tensaki
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mebil Rosales
Apr 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Me faltaban 30 páginas para terminarlo y lo dejé porque no podía interesarme menos. Además, nadie me iba a regañar por hacerlo, así que yolo.
Rachel Pollock
Wilde Sky
This story of samurai / honour left me a bit cold and I found the writing quite clunky.

Overall rating 2.5
Annie
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Marsha Stokes
I just finished reading Brilliance of the Moon, by Lian Hearn. It is the third book in the Tales of the Otori series. I enjoyed this book more than the second book because the plot felt like it was really taking you to the conclusion of the story. The action and battles all lead up to the big battle at the end. When it was all over, I was really pleased and satisfied with the ending. I knew all the characters at this point, and it was easy to get absorbed in their life and want to see how things ...more
Tales of the otori 1 63 Aug 03, 2012 03:02PM
  • Jembatan Musim Gugur (Samurai, #2)
  • The Glass Word (Dark Reflections, #3)
  • The Pillow Book of Lady Wisteria (Sano Ichiro, #7)
  • The Pure Land
  • The Last Concubine (The Shogun Quartet #2)
  • Stakeout (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, #2.5)
  • Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Moribito, #1)
  • L'assassin du roi (L'assassin royal, #2)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Sphere of Secrets (The Oracle Prophecies, #2)
  • Marés Negras (Crónicas de Allaryia, #3)
  • Fudoki (Love/War/Death, #2)
  • The Secrets of Jin-shei (Jin-Shei, #1)
  • The Skein of Lament (Braided Path, #2)
  • The 47 Ronin Story
  • Beyond the Blossoming Fields
Lian Hearn's beloved Tales of the Otori series, set in an imagined feudal Japan, has sold more than four million copies worldwide and has been translated into nearly forty languages. It is comprised of five volumes: ACROSS THE NIGHTINGALE FLOOR, GRASS FOR HIS PILLOW, BRILLIANCE OF THE MOON, THE HARSH CRY OF THE HERON and HEAVEN'S NET IS WIDE. The series was followed by two standalone novels, BLOSS ...more
More about Lian Hearn

Tales of the Otori (5 books)
  • Heaven's Net is Wide (Tales of the Otori, #0)
  • Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1)
  • Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2)
  • The Harsh Cry of the Heron (Tales of the Otori, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“It's like a spell. It's so strong I can't fight it. Is love always like this?” 22 likes
“..while I was happy enough to pray to any god, knowing that they were simply different faces created by men, of one indivisible truth.” 7 likes