Start by marking “Conferences Are Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #4)” as Want to Read:
Conferences Are Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #4)

Conferences Are Murder (Lindsay Gordon #4)

Lindsay Gordon, Scottish journalist and amateur sleuth, was the first creation of international bestseller Val McDermid. "Report for Murder" introduced the United Kingdom s first lesbian detective, and the series has been perennially popular ever since. Lindsay is tenacious to the point of stubbornness, intrepid to the point of stupidity, and loyal to the point of laying h ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Bywater Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Conferences Are Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conferences Are Murder

Erin
Sep 09, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, ebook
I love Lindsay's character like whoa, but she's even better when she has a partner in inquiry. Beyond being just a sounding board, though, Sophie really grew on me in this book. Much more than Cordelia did in the previous books. Cordelia played more of the dense follower (with rather a tone of resentment in her comments), but Sophie brings her own level of activity and contribution to the investigation that the story really benefits from. She's the cheerful counterpart to Lindsay's sardonic. Gre ...more
Rog Harrison
Actually the UK edition is called "Union Jack"! This is the second time I have read this and sadly it is not one of Val McDermid's better books.
Anna
Jan 30, 2017 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
McDermid writes well but there is entirely too much about JU and union conferences in this for me. It got boring.
Grace
Mar 21, 2017 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read

It took a while to get into this book. It wasn't until I was part of the way through that I realised that the writer was going backwards and forwards in time, which was bit annoying. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book but not as much as some of the others in the series. As always Val McDermid is a great author and I really love her books.
Sharon Terry
Very good read, but with some reservations.

This fourth Lindsay Gordon outing suffers more from flourishes than plotting or pace, which are both excellent. I could have lived without the excerpts from the Standing Orders Sub-Committee booklet, "Advice for New Delegates". This didn't ring true to me at all and it was an unnecessary distraction. I also felt the inclusion of lengthy quotes from "Conference Chronicle" - a tabloid-style gossip sheet about delegates at the conference - was overdone. No
Evander v
Feb 20, 2017 Evander v rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-female
3.5.
Kay Robinson
Apr 11, 2013 Kay Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue and murder among the members of the NUJ, struggles for power and corruption exposed. Set between two union conferences over two eras the great differences between male and female members of the trade union movement are exposed to the reader's eye and written with plenty of insight, insight that only a former journalist could truthfully provide. As usual the hot-headed Lindsay is in the thick of it, so much that she's suspected of murderous intent. 'Union Jack' is a larger than life char ...more
Angie crosby
Jul 28, 2008 Angie crosby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alex, mystery
Detectivey type. An ex journalist and her partner. are in England. Lindsay is going to a journalism confrence although she is now living in California, and no longer a journalist. When a guy she argued with the night before was found dead after falling from her hotel room, Lindsay is the prime suspect. To clear her name her and her partner follow the clues and solve the crime. No blood, or gore. Good book, though the bits about journalism and the confrence was boring. I enjoyed the lesbian angle ...more
Maria
Jun 03, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, borrowed
It was a good story in which there were a lot of surprises. The questions of the mystery often has answers unsuspected. Although this being a murder mystery, it never got scary or heavy.

I didn't like many of the characters though. The main character seems nice and her girlfriend seemed nicer still, but all the other characters were either flat or not very sympathetic. Also, I feel weird reading about a female character with a girlfriend. I am not against them, but it just feels weird.

I like Val
Margaret
Jun 02, 2010 Margaret rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read involving the Lindsay Gordon character & I just don't like them. I really like McDermid's other crime fiction so whether it's because it's the character I am uninterested in, or that these were her first books & she improved I don't know.
I feel as though I am being lectured to all the time about how "lesbians are nice people really" & there's entirely too much lovey-dovey smooching. I don't care what gender she's making up to, I don't have any inter
Andy Walker
Nov 26, 2016 Andy Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again McDermid delivers the goods. This time with a right rollicking tale of murder and intrigue set against a backdrop of trade union politics. I suspect Val has attended a few trade union conferences in her time and she's certainly drawn on those experiences with this book. Lindsay Gordon is an immensely likeable character and I cannot wait to read the next book in the series. Highly recommended.
Abra
Ah, British trade union conferences: I loved the tongue-in-cheek quotes from "Advice to New Delegates" at the start of each chapter. Lindsey Gordon's sleuthing at the post-Murdoch newspaper (and allied media) TU conference in Sheffield (and the 1984 flashback in Blackpool, where I was myself a National Union of Students -- and National Organization of Labour Students-- delegate in 1986 were both absolutely spot on. Only quibble: there should have been Trotskyists.
Mark Muckerman
meh.

Well intentioned and a good effort, but I found the finished product to be a bit lacking.

I also take issue with the overuse of the colloquialisms & slang throughout - while I appreciated the author's attempt to inject authenticity into the dialogue, to a reader without familiarity it becomes offputting and a distraction to the reading.
Rosalind
Sep 04, 2007 Rosalind rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime
Enjoyable if undemanding murder mystery set amongst the bitchiness, back-biting and wheeler-dealing of a trade union conference. The best thing about it is how McDermid has really caught the flavour of these occasions and sends it up something rotten.
Balthazar Lawson
I was a bit annoyed with this book as it jumped back and forth in the narrative instead of the story just being told and coming out. Plus, keeping track of all the different characters got a bit confusing. Not the best I've read.
Rosalind Mitchell
Bywater Books
May 23, 2009 Bywater Books rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"If you haven't discovered this award-winning trailblazer in lesbian detective fiction, you're missing out on a good one. Val McDermid's in top form in this atmospheric tale filled with twists and deceptions and surprises galore." -Katherine V. Forrest
Ricardo
Quick and easy read, but nothing exceptional
Cyanemi
May 13, 2010 Cyanemi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So far pretty slow and I'm only reading this because Stieg Larrson liked this author. Slow and the dialouge is somewhat stilted. This may be one I don't finishe. Did not finish it was too boring.
Janine
Feb 17, 2012 Janine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Boring. The $4 sticker should have warned me.
Caroline
Not my favourite series by Val McDermid. I find the main character slightly annoying. Always enjoy Val's writing though.
TJ
Jun 10, 2008 TJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Really easy ready. Though nothing special
Naomi Blackburn
The books are getting better in the series, but this is still not my favorite series..if you are a VM fan..I would look towards her "Wire in the Blood" series.
Ingo
Dec 21, 2012 Ingo rated it it was amazing
Back to Back reading of Val McDermid's Lindsay Gordon-Series.
Started this one December 21th, 2012.
Great read. Like the last one is warrants 5 stars!
Next!
David
Jan 24, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as previous ones in the series, for me anyway. Got very confusing trying to keep up with past and present changes.
Stef Rozitis
Stef Rozitis rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
Julie Weston
Julie Weston rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2011
Lesley
Lesley rated it liked it
May 04, 2011
  • The Beverly Malibu (Kate Delafield, #3)
  • Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • A Bitter Draught (Ravenwood Mysteries #2)
  • Rainey Nights  (Rainey Bell, #2)
  • In Pursuit of Justice (Justice, #2)
  • Död joker  (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #5)
  • If She Should Die
Val McDermid is a No. 1 bestseller whose novels have been translated into more than thirty languages, and have sold over eleven million copies.

She has won many awards internationally, including the CWA Gold Dagger for best crime novel of the year and the LA Times Book of the Year Award. She was inducted into the ITV3 Crime Thriller Awards Hall of Fame in 2009 and was the recipient of the CWA Cart
More about Val McDermid...

Lindsay Gordon (6 books)
  • Report For Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #1)
  • Common Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #2)
  • Deadline For Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #3)
  • Booked For Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #5)
  • Hostage To Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #6)