Start by marking “Fake Mustache” as Want to Read:
Fake Mustache

Fake Mustache

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  3,567 Ratings  ·  459 Reviews
Award-winning author Tom Angleberger flexes his comic muscle in this hairy adventure story with twists at every turn.

Regular kid Lenny Flem Jr. is the only one standing between his evil-genius best friend—Casper, a master of disguise and hypnosis—and world domination. It all begins when Casper spends money from his granny on a spectacularly convincing fake mustache, the He
Published April 1st 2012 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about Fake Mustache, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fake Mustache

Tom Franklin
Jun 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
First, let me say I love Tom Angleberger's Origami Yoda books. The two written thus far are so good that I continue to recommend them to people today.

Second, let me say that Fake Mustache is not an Origami Yoda book. Not even close.

The Origami Yoda books are written from multiple perspectives and feature a sympathetic main character who is trying to figure out whether a perplexing friend is psychic or channeling a fictitious movie character or just plain crazy. The characters are unique but hav
Donalyn
Hilarious and bizarre. I laughed every single page. Tom Angleberger manages to combine several random elements--fake mustaches, child TV stars, clowns, and elections-- into an enjoyable story about fighting for what's right. I can't wait to share this with my students.
Betsy
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I said it about Laini Taylor. I said it about Jeff Kinney. Heck, I even said it about J.K. Rowling and now, my friends, I’m saying it about Tom Angleberger: I was into him before it was cool. Seriously, a show of hands, how many of you out there can say that you read his first middle grade novel The Qwikpick Adventure Society written under the pen name of Sam Riddleberger? See, that’s what I though. I did and it was hilarious, thank you very much. The kind of thing you read and love and wish mor ...more
Axel_E1
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was fine I guess. I rated this book 3 stars because It had some babyish language again.

I did not choose this book.
Monica Edinger
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yesterday a package of ARCs from Abrams arrived at my home, among them Tom Angleberger's forthcoming Fake Mustache and, needing a light read before bed, I decided to give it a try. Next thing I knew a couple of hours had passed and I'd gulped down the whole delightful confection. It isn't out till April so I hope this isn't a dreadful tease, but I thought Origami Yoda fans as well as others looking for good and funny middle grade books might like to know what they have in store.

So wacky this is
Emma
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
REVIEW BY JACK 9:6

Fake Mustache, a children’s comedy story, is American as is clear from the title. The novel takes place in a slightly bizarre version of modern day America, within the fictional state capital of Hairsprinkle. It is initially narrated by Lenny Flem Junior but later swaps to Jodie O’Rodeo. The action is spread through Lenny’s house, the Heidelberg novelty company factory, Sven’s Fair Price Store and the Hairsprinkle Municipal Stadium.

The plot is surprisingly complex, but basicall
Kerry
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tom Angleberger, the award-winning author of the popular Origami Yoda series, does not disappoint in Fake Mustache. His humorous, fast-paced storytelling and casual writing style are sure to appeal to the middle-grade reader.

Lenny Flem Jr. is just an average, slightly nerdy, 7th grade boy. He spends his days at school and his evenings in front of the TV watching old reruns of, once popular, pre-teen sensation Jodie O’Rodeo starring in The Jodie O’Rodeo Showdeo. It isn’t until Lenny’s best friend
Cameron G.
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I recently finished the book Fake Mustache by Tom Angleberger. This book is about a boy (named Casper) who buys a very expensive fake mustache and changes his identity on a quest to take over the world. Lenny Flem junior must go under cover and team up with some amazing friends including Jodie O Rodeo and her wonder horse. Lenny also has plenty of gags and gadgets from the Hairsprinkle Novelty Company. He has an amazing adventure full of laughs and suspence as he tries to take down the evil Casp ...more
jv poore
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Based solely on the hilarious cover, my 3rd grade son purchased this book at a recent Book Fair. Together, we sat down and read it in one afternoon. What an outstanding tale! This story is fast-paced, funny, entertaining and even a little bit sweet.

The cast of characters are individually and brightly colorful; together, they do not clash, but rather merge into an awesome kaleidoscope.

If you happen to be seeking a unique, page-turning, laugh out loud experience captured on paper for a nominal f
Sharni
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't realise I was looking for a book about the ultimate fake mustache, brainwashed school librarians robbing banks, man-about-town suits, public transport that only costs 10 cents, electoral fraud, halloween costumes or a tv famous cowgirl who literally rides in to the rescue - but I was! The illustrations throughout add extra enjoyment and giggles.
Betsy
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
It's hard not to compare this to Angleberger's "Origami Yoda" books, which are exceptionally clever and funny. I found this one enjoyable, but not as clever and funny as the "Origami Yoda"s.
Shannon
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely flawless. A fantastic read aloud; highly recommended.
Kelcy
Oct 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
I like silly books (and really enjoyed the Origami Yoda series) but this was too unbelievable and I was just not feeling the authors writing style, it felt flat.
Kristi
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: road-trip
This was a great, short, fun book on CD for our latest road trip. Both boys (12 & 15 years old), my husband and I were entertained. The books alternative name: Or, How Jodie O'Rodeo and Her Wonder Horse (and Some Nerdy Kid) Saved the U.S. Presidential Election from a Mad Genius Criminal Mastermind - actually describes the book pretty well. Fun read.
Courtney Umlauf
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade

I found this book on a list of what to read if you like the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. I don't like the Wimpy Kids series, but I'm always looking for books that are similar in style but with better execution. I don't mind a book that's silly, goofy, to be read purely for entertainment purposes; but I still expect it to be clever and well-put together. This book wasn't what I was looking for. The premise had me hopeful: a fake mustache that's so realistic it hypnotizes everyone who sees it on t

Barb Middleton
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-read-aloud
This nonstop fountain of funny lines, kooky characters, and over-the-top plot had me laughing so much people around me kept asking what was so funny. Lenny Jr. goes to buy a special mustache his best friend Casper desperately wants; The Heidelberg Handlebar #7. When Casper dons the mustache he finds that he has specials powers and can talk anyone into whatever he wants. He quickly takes over the world and it is up to Lenny to stop him with the help of television star Jodie O'Rodeo. They race thr ...more
Ruben Botello
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you like books that make you laugh till you cry, you have to read this book. This is a fiction book honestly this is a great book.

This took place in Casper's house he wanted to to buy number 7 mustache the most expensive mustache there was and also a suit. So he can run for mayor so after buying everything he goes and robs a bank. So after robbing the bank he goes and starts his campain for being mayor but nobody knows it's him but his best friend Lenny. I think this book is person vs person
Amy Jewell
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is an intermediate book. It has 196 pages with an interest level of 3-6 and a reading level of 4.6 (according to Titlewave.com)
This book could be good for independent reading or reading aloud-it has more pages than a picture book, however it does include pictures and I think a teacher could easily read it to their students during a read aloud time over the course of a week or two. It is very silly and I think that my students would enjoy the humor of it.

In his interest inventory, Haidy
Barbara Maguire
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review written with my 4th and 5th graders:

Jodie O"Rodeo (a purple haired cowgirl), a horse named Soymilk, a sticky hand that saves the day and a hypnotizing mustache from an evil sort of French guy. A 13 year old kid with a fake mustache that can hypnotize school librarians into robbing banks. Fake mustaches are more powerful than the average mind might think. This story is hilarious, funny, disturbing, unusual, extra detailed and disgusting.

Our favorite (or least favorite) quote from the story
Jackie
Tom Angleberger is the author of the wildly popular "The Strange Case of the Origami Yoda" and "Darth Paper Strikes Back", neither of which I read. But I was curious about this guy's writing, so I dived in. This book is hilarious and will appeal to boys and girls alike. The premise is a novelty company sells a 12 year old boy a very expensive, and very possessed, mustache. He becomes an instant master criminal, robbing banks and planning world domination. His best friend teams up with a former c ...more
Byers P
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-9-weeks
I thought this book is 4 stars. It was sometimes funny, but there seemed to be lots of things going on at once. It was hard to follow at times. The characters were really interesting and weird. The characters were also very creative. The main character's best friend, robs 2.3 billion dollars from a bank. Then he wants to become the next president and wears a fake mustache so people will not know who he is. He also brainwashes people. Everyone is trying to stop him from doing this. This book made ...more
Dayna
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: funny, middle-grades
Extreme silliness. I really like the Origami Yoda series, but I didn't like this one quite as much. Kids would probably crack up though - just the right mixture of weirdo humor with a teeny bit of romance and friend drama for 4th-6th grades. The chapters are (for the most part) very short and fast-paced, so a good choice for reluctant readers, too.
Marysue Gulick
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book aloud to my 3rd grade gifted kids. The characters are a bit older - middle school - so their was a little mushy kissing involved. This was met with delighted groans. Overall though we all enjoyed it and both my students and I were delighted it held nothing that made me cry. It is a bit silly but a jaunty ride.
Josh Newhouse
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-13-read
Based on an ARC but I can't wait to see his art and how it rolls with this bizarre angle of a story... Pun fully intended... Though it is very anti mustache... And as a mustached man this upsets me horribly... Horribly I say... 100 pages in and it's another winner... Plus it features a cameo by ninja fighting school librarians... Realistic fiction at its best ;)
Natalie
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ridiculous and hilarious! I have fallen in love with Tom Angleberger's books (including this and Origami Yoda series) and the style of fabulous narrators of the audiobooks. My husband, my teen, my tween and I all laughed out loud throughout these silly books!
Koz
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A rollicking good time. What's not to love in a book about a fantastic fake mustache that threatens to take over the world?
Molly
I really want to live in hairsprinkle now!
Nilsson
Apr 12, 2015 added it
Shelves: a-shelf
I think I might have met the boy in this book, because he always wears a mustache like this.
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
As Willy Wonka says, "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Enjoy!
Emmanuel
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book had me at "ninja librarians". There is plenty of action and lots of silly humour. A recommended read for the 5th through 8th grade crowd.
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!  (Marty McGuire #2)
  • The Case of the Deadly Desperados (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #1)
  • Thomas and the Dragon Queen
  • Double Dog Dare
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • The Five Lives of Our Cat Zook
  • The Templeton Twins Have an Idea (Templeton Twins, #1)
  • The Year of the Book (Anna Wang #1)
  • Guy-Write: What Every Guy Writer Needs to Know
  • Melonhead
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • Neversink
  • Hound Dog True
  • When Life Gives You O.J.
  • The Power of the Parasite (Squish, #3)
  • A Black Hole Is Not a Hole
  • Sadie and Ratz
Tom Angleberger artist-turned-writer. He is a columnist for the Roanoke Times in Roanoke, Virginia, and began work on his first book while in middle school. Tom is married to author-illustrator Cece Bell. He lives in Christianburg, Virginia.
More about Tom Angleberger

• Revolution 2020
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mercy Falls Collection: The Lightkeeper's Daughter / The Lightkeeper's Bride / The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls #1-3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Secret
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dead Don't Dance
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
  • The Love Season
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone