Start by marking “The Five Minute Writer: Exercise And Inspiration In Creative Writing In Five Minutes A Day” as Want to Read:

This book will inspire you to write, even if you have only a few minutes to spare. It may also change the way you think about writing. Drawing on a mix of disciplines, including psychology, art, linguistics, and advertising, each chapter offers you a writing-related discussion, followed by a five-minute exercise. Whether you are a beginner writer, an experienced writer ...more
Paperback
Published by How to Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Five Minute Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Minute Writer

Start your review of The Five Minute Writer: Exercise And Inspiration In Creative Writing In Five Minutes A Day
Sue Cartwright
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, language
Having read through all the sections of this excellent and thought provoking book, and worked on many of the exercises, I can say for certain that it does as it says in the introduction - helping you explore the power and possibilities of the written word.

It's packed full of ways to get you writing and thinking about how to write in different ways. This includes using the power of ritual, making lists, recalling feelings and experiences, establishing a daily writing routine, exploring 'what if'
Sue
May 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, read-2017
This is an excellent book for anyone wanting ideas and prompts for creative writing. There are 58 short chapters, each one with some explanations and suggestions for following different paths to creativity. Written in an authoritative yet informal style, the topics covered are diverse, calling on biographical or other details in the reader's mind to experiment with brief writing scenes or lists.

Not a book to read from cover to cover, but one to dip into regularly when needing inspiration in
Rebecca
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
It's difficult to do precise page updates for this book as I dipped in and out of it rather than doing the activities in order. I didn't do all of them, but I like the relaxed manner and the fact that most of them are fairly short as the title suggests. With some of the activities, you can go back and redo them which is good as you can take one prompt one day and another next time, depending on mood. It's good for getting the creativity going and has some practical advice as well.

I found the
Alberto
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
this book provides good nuggets for writing. I didn't really do the exercises as I'm not starting writing yet but got some good insights.
Tessa
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book if you want to practice your writing. It gives you, chapter by chapter, inspiration and writing exercises, all doable in 5 minutes (you can take longer if you want, of course...). The topics are geared towards giving you an all-round kind of practice, covering many topics from "Playing tag in the schoolyard" (exercise: free association of concrete nouns with abstract concepts, i.e. "Life is...") to "250 words on something" (exercise: take a minute to write down the most ...more
Deborah Mantle
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The five-minute writer contains 58 activities to get you thinking more creatively and, of course, writing. An experienced creative writing teacher, Margret Geraghty draws on multi-disciplinary research from psychology, sociology, art, advertising and film for her activity ideas.

The exercises have been designed for writers who have limited time. As the title implies, you only need five minutes a day for creativity to flow. But once I started reading through the background to each activity and
Jade
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have recently purchased this book due to having problems in terms of writers block and the lack of ideas to start my writing off. I have to say this was money very well spent, not only did it present me with ideas, or at least give me the start to form my own ideas, it also helped enhance my writing, making it very more professional as well as better linguistically. For any writer I would recommend this book, who either needs help with linguistics or even just ideas.
Donna Henderson
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very wonderful read! It's full of creative-writing ideas and exercises that you can dip into whenever you feel like you need a touch of inspiration. I have a slight obsession with 'how to write' books (they fill my commuting days!)and this is one of many that fed my thirst. I recommend this to any author.
Nicole Schum
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love this book and the follow-up one, I have found many great exercises in it ,and I use them to facilitate creative writing groups. Many of the activities can be adapted to suit groups of varying levels, and most are fun and inspiring and we have a great time playing around with the ideas. Really good for helping you overcome various hurdles and blocks, and just to get your creativity flowing.
Reid
Jul 03, 2013 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-and-lit
Can you imbue yourself with the writing habit? I bought this late last month and have been trying the exercises in them daily. So far it seems like a harmless diversion, but if you want to see if you can write, this is a good way to start.
Isabella
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

No self- (or otherwise) proclaimed writer should be without this book. Need a kick-start? This is it.
Jessica Hassett
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
A must for aspiring writers, has excellent unique exercises to spark your imagination.
Heather Connolly
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some really creative and interesting ideas in here.
Erik Elgerot
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A lovely book for anyone doing any kind of creative writing. I can see myself return to it doing random exercises on a regular basis.
Alison Flower
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book with some useful excercise in it. well worth getting if you are new to the frellance world!
Sarah Spelbring
A book for brainstorming ideas and improving your skill. Lots of writing exercises for when you are stuck.
Nadia
Jo
Nov 29, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Telephone Box Library
  • Summer Lightning (Blandings Castle, #4)
  • Semicolon: The Past, Present, and Future of a Misunderstood Mark
  • Zen in the Art of Writing
  • The Only Skill that Matters: The Proven Methodology to Read Faster, Remember More, and Become a SuperLearner
  • The Little Book of Stoicism: Timeless Wisdom to Gain Resilience, Confidence, and Calmness
  • The Fifth Science
  • Five Steps to Happy: An uplifting novel based on a true story
  • The Sounds of Poetry: A Brief Guide
  • Selected Poems
  • Shakespeare: The World as Stage
  • Well, Doc, It Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time!: The Unexpected Adventures of a Trauma Surgeon
  • Selected Poems