Start by marking “Thunder Rolling in the Mountains” as Want to Read:
Thunder Rolling in the Mountains

Thunder Rolling in the Mountains

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  639 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
It is spring of 1877 when fourteen-year-old Sound of Running Feet, daughter of Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce, sees white people panning gold in the little creek that feeds the Wallowa River, and brings word of them to her father.

"They are the first, but more are on the way," he says. "We are few and they are many. They will devour us."

It is Sound of Running Feet who narrat
Published October 1st 1993 by Yearling (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Thunder Rolling in the Mountains, please sign up.

Daisy Romero He wanted to fight for land duh Daisy. Oh this is not Daisy it is Rebeca her sister. Dicks

Susan
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult-teen
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever-Chief Joseph
I read this book after it was assigned to my fifth grader for her reading class. It is a historical fiction account of the Ni-mi-poo (Nez Pierce)being forced from their homelands in Washington State by the US Army as told from the perspective of Chief Joseph's daughter, Sound of Running Feet. The writer used historical documents to sequence the events of the story. There is much information on the culture of the Ni-mi-poo
Sara
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written. Terribly depressing.
Jennie
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely wonderful. Of course, that's just because I've always enjoyed books that give you a little bit of knowledge on things you wouldn't normally think about. The plot of this story is similar to most stories about this topic, but the author does a great job of making it unique. There are moments where I found myself cheering for the main character and also moments where I felt a tear roll down my cheek. This is basically an emotional rollercoaster with ups (and mostly) downs. ...more
JamesMendez
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Alright for this book.
Chris
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal
Historical fiction is always fascinating, you are learning while enjoying a great story! With the content, young readers beware. I recommend this book for everyone ages 13+.
Monique
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
How appropriate to finish this book on the day before Columbus Day as this is the sad story of Native Americans and their removal from their homes much like what we are celebrating on tomorrow sadly..Side Note I am all for states renaming this “federal holiday” to Indigenous People Day to remember all those that lost their homeland to those who “discovered” it and claimed it for America. Alright rant over but shout out to all those people of the land who were forcibly removed for gold and greed ...more
Gale
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
THE TRUE LEGACY OF CHIEF JOSEPH

Fifteen-year-old Sound of Running Feet survives incredible hardship--including betrayal by both white men and other tribes in this fictionalized novella. Odell's detailed account of the brutal removal of the Nez Perce from Wallowa, Idaho to Oklahoma proves interesting reading both for students of Native American heritage as well as teenage girls in general.

The reader's understanding of this cruel odyssey is enhanced by the excellent map of this heart-rending Route
The Aquamarine
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cornelia
A blunt, straightforward telling of the story of Chief Joseph and the Ne-mee-po's (also known as Nez Perce) experience as seen by his daughter, Sound of Running Feet. The story tells of her experience as the Ne-mee-po were kicked off their land by the Blue Coats (US soldiers) and what ensues as they work toward safety. Seeking safety they embark on a journey to freedom, but in the end are forced to surrender in the Battle of Bear Paw in Montana. Based on historical events and incorporating Chief ...more
Zachary
Jun 23, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: STUPID PEOPLE!.
This. Was. Bad! I actually never finished it because it was so bad. It upset me because of one sentence. You may think that that is a bad reason to stop, but if you read-
"He grinded heads, but of ears, and watched the blood flow down the rivers," then you would probably stop reading too. So, I can't really tell you what it's about, but I think it is about a girl whose tribe is being forced to go from their homes. IT STINKS! Stay at least 50 feet away from this book. AT ALL TIMES. If you ever th
Lea
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced, exciting tale told through the eyes of Chief Joseph's daughter, this book tells of the attempted relocation of the Nez Perce and the subsequent battles that took place between the waning members of the tribe and the "Blue Coats" who pursued them through Idaho and Montana. Included in this story is the event surrounding Chief Joseph's famous and heartbreaking surrender speech. Finished after O'Dell's death by his wife, Elizabeth Hall, this novel is a poignant look at the last days o ...more
Charlotte
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thunder Rolling in the mountains- the terse story of Sound of Running Feet and one of the most tragic of indian wars...
WOW! Good book. Apparently it was finished by Scott oDells wife, Elizabeth Hall, but the voice remains the same. The book may be short, as most of his books, but it is astounding, just the same.
It kept me hooked and involved in the happenings. And it may be fiction, but its based on true events, which makes the story of this people even more tragic!
SouthWestZippy
In 1877 American Soldiers are sent to force the Nez Perce onto a reservation. Chief Joseph fled toward Canada all the way being attacked. They able to win all of them but the last one. Book if filled with heartache and triumph. Good book for young readers a little slow but still interesting for older readers. I also find to be interesting this book would have not been finished if not for his Wife, Elizabeth Hall, stepping in and completing it after his his death in 1989.
Sara
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it
This was the book that Scott O'Dell's didn't finish because he was writing it until about 2 days before he died at the age of 91 or something like that. I didn't like it as much as some of his others. Although I guess it is in keeping with his simplistic, straight-forward, hide-nothing-from-the-young-readers style. It was an interesting story, but there were some events that didn't really make sense to me at the end.
Hang
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grade-6
I think this book is very descriptive. It teaches us a lot of things in the native americans time, but in a very fun, not boring way. It is about the Nez Perce having to move to another camp place because the Americans were trying to drive them out. Some wanted to fight and so they fought in the war.
Tahleen
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Not as good as his others in my opinion, mostly because he co-wrote it with another author. He died before this book was published, and Elizabeth whatever-her-name-is took over for him; you can tell where this happened, as the book gets much more violent and depressing. I was disappointed because I love everything else he's written.
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 126 pgs

1877, Wallowa Valley, Oregon / West. Follows The Sound of Running Feet, the daughter of Chief Joseph as her people the Ne-mee-po (Nez Perce) as they are forced from their homeland and fight against being forced onto a reservation.

Includes a lot of historical detail about daily life and the hardships they were forced to endure.
Patricia Kaniasty
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not realize that this was a true story. I love these stories about the indians. I always learn so very much. This is a sad story but then most of the indian stories are. Quick and easy read. Great for all ages.
Stephanie
Apr 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Not O'Dell's best work, but an interesting, fictionalized account of a very sad, shameful story from our nation's history. I read this aloud as a supplement while teaching my children about this era in American history.
Ashley
I read this in the 4th grade. I don't remember it at all, perhaps I'll pick it up again sometime and see what I think - and whether I would recommend it to children interested in Native American stories.
Michelle Johnson
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific realistic voice

A gripping read, but very dark. Even gruesome at times. I read it with my 5th grader and was surprised at the level of graphic violence.
True to the times though, and very enlightening at the same time.
Mina
May 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely hated this book, It is predictable, to much war, and has a cheesy romance. I loved The Island Of The Blue Dolphins, and Zia. This book, did not work for me though.

I do not recommend this book.
Catherine Boomer
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book, but one that was also sad but true. I am glad there are books and stories out there that remind us what a difficult time the Native Americans had when they were forced to sacrifice everything.
Purpledove
Mar 03, 2014 marked it as to-read
I haven't read this one but I like Scott o dells books so this is definitely a book for the future
Christine Castaldi
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Very sad story.
Alexis
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In the middle of the summer Sound of Running Feet sees white men. They try to drive the Nez Perce out of their home. Read to find out what happens next........
Betty
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
good book for teaching
Rebekah
I read this book at least twice a year for most of my childhood. I loved it that much.
Anita Struyk
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great first nations read aloud novel...read this one to Jonas (Mar. 2014). American first nations: Nee-mee-poo.
Ginny Daniels
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Used this with our unit on Native Americans. A sad story, but it helped the kids see how we treated the Native Americans.
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • The Daring Nellie Bly: America's Star Reporter
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Civil War Soldier!: A War You'd Rather Not Fight
  • Emma's Journal: The Story of a Colonial Girl (Young American Voices, #2)
  • Inside the Titanic: A Giant Cutaway Book
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • Theras and His Town
  • Dear Levi: Letters from the Overland Trail: Letters from the Overland Trail
  • If You're Not from the Prairie...
  • Greatest Skating Race: A World War II Story from the Netherlands
  • Arms & Armor
  • A Pioneer Sampler: The Daily Life of a Pioneer Family in 1840
  • A Wizard from the Start: The Incredible Boyhood and Amazing Inventions of Thomas Edison
  • Guns for General Washington: A Story of the American Revolution
  • The Little House Guidebook
  • Rocks in His Head
  • William Shakespeare & the Globe
Scott O'Dell (May 23, 1898 – October 16, 1989) was an American children's author who wrote 26 novels for youngsters, along with three adult novels and four nonfiction books. He was most famously the author of the children's novel Island of the Blue Dolphins (1960), which won the 1961 Newbery Medal as well as a number of other awards. Other award winning books by O'Dell include The King's Fifth (19 ...more
More about Scott O'Dell...