Start by marking “The Turquoise Shop” as Want to Read:
The Turquoise Shop

The Turquoise Shop (Pat and Jean Abbott Mystery #1)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
First published in 1941, this book introduced the sleuthing pair of Jean Holly (later Jean Abbott) and (Mr.) Pat Abbott whose adventures took them all over the globe. This novel is set in a fictionalized version of Taos, New Mexico.
Published September 7th 2004 by Rue Morgue Press (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about The Turquoise Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Turquoise Shop

Miriam
Jun 01, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery
I just picked up a first edition of The Pink Umbrella at a library book sale, without knowing anything about it (the books were by-the-sack, so...). I guess I should track down the start of the series first. Never heard of Crane before.
Ian
The first book in the Pat Abbott mysteries.

Pat Abbott has gone to Santa Maria, New Mexico for a holiday and to try his hand at painting. What he didn't expect was to arrive in the middle of a murder investigation!

Jean Holly's Turquoise Shop, clearing house for gossip and art ware, was the centre of the storm, and it was Jean herself who played an important part in helping Pat Abbott, the skilful detective, to the right solution.

I love this series, each book set in different locations around the
Bev
The Turquoise Shop (1941) is the first book in Frances Crane's Jean Holly [later Abbott] and Pat Abbot mystery series. Jean Holly is the owner of The Turquoise Shop, selling silver and turquoise jewelry and a few paintings here and there. Patrick Abbott is a handsome private detective from San Francisco who has come to Santa Maria, New Mexico on an artistic holiday. He wants to take up painting as a hobby--or so he says. But is it just coincidence that he has arrived just in time for a murder an ...more
Jessi
When Pat Abbott met Jean Holly. I'd read the second book in the series (rare for me to start out of order, but I was able to get a hold of it first) and enjoyed it so I decided to go back to the beginning.
Jean lives in a town pretty much run by a rich woman, Mona Brandon. Her husband has been missing for a long time and the gossip buzzes about whether the body of a drifter could have been the man himself. Mona is not well-liked using her money to control the town and having had a popular Latino
Lynn
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is the first in a series, in which the heroine ends up meeting and marrying a detective. When I began, I did not foresee that. In this first book, the woman is very independent, lives alone in a cabin and owns her own shop in a sort of artists' community in the desert, somewhere in the Southwest USA (New Mexico? Arizona? I can't remember.)
It reminded me of "Northern Exposure," although not quite as funny. But it had a similar feeling as far as the setting in small town full of eccentri
Susan
Jean Holly runs a small shop in the artists' colony of Santa Maria. Local gossip buzzes about the mysterious murder of a quasi-hermit, but everything changes when vacationing detective Pat Abbott walks into Jean's store. He has no interest in the case, he declares, but he soon demonstrates an interest in Jean, who wants to protect any of her friends who may be under suspicion. She's much more skeptical about the local philanthropist, Mona, who uses her money and clout to keep the local residents ...more
Susan
I found this book tedious. The main characters seemed interesting when they were first introduced, but the story dragged. Easy to put down, took a week to finish - amazing for such a thin paperback (187 pages)! The location is Taos NM renamed "Santa Maria", the time period is 1941. According to the introduction, main characters represent actual residents of the period, and the story is based on a true event. There are overtones of racial/class tension between Indians/Anglos and Mexicans/Anglos. ...more
Kate
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
For my full review click on the link below:
Anne
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first in the Pat and Jean Abbot series, and the second one I have read. I actually enjoyed book two (The Golden Box) more.
JoLynn
Richard
Nov 17, 2017
Joy
Nov 18, 2017
Frances Crane was an American mystery author, who introduced private investigator Pat Abbott and his future wife Jean in her first novel, The Turquoise Shop (1941). The Abbotts investigated crimes in a total of 26 volumes, each with a color in the title.
More about Frances Crane...

Pat and Jean Abbott Mystery (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Golden Box