Start by marking “Frogspell (Spell #1)” as Want to Read:
Frogspell (Spell #1)

Frogspell

(Spell #1)

Max Pendragon is probably the worst squire in King Arthur's kingdom - he'd much rather train to be a wizard instead. So when he accidentally invents a spell that turns people into frogs, it seems his wish might come true.

But events take an unexpected turn when Max enters the Novices' Spell-Making Competition and finds himself helping Merlin fight an evil sorceress. There's
Published September 1st 2011 by Templar (first published September 1st 2010)

Start your review of Frogspell (Spell #1)
Helen
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The first three books in this quartet came into the library where I work as transfer items from another branch. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I was immediately attracted by the cute colourful pictures on the front, which intrigued me enough to read the blurbs on the back. I've always loved the Arthurian legends and tales of Merlin's magic, so I was further attracted to them. I'm always on the lookout for quick reads for my 8-12 year olds in my Chatterbooks group, so I ...more
Ronel Janse van Vuuren
A story about a school for witches and wizards set in Camelot in the days of King Arthurs rule. A young squire accidentally creates a potion to turn a person into a frog and helps Merlin fight an evil sorceress.

A fun story with all the magic and charm of Camelot. The added bonus of weird potions and spells and how they can go awry make this a great adventure. It reminds me a bit of the TV show Gummi Bears.

The cover is gorgeous too!

A must-read for young fans of Camelot and the Arthurian legends
Karen
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Frogspell was a cute and imaginative read which had me under its spell in just a few short paragraphs. Written for younger readers, the print is larger than normal with wider line spacing which made reading very quick. Each chapter begins with a beautiful illustration by David Wyatt, which really adds to the character of the book.

Max is a young wannabe wizard who lives with his parents, younger sister Olivia, Ferocious the rat and Adolphus, a forgetful and bumbling baby dragon. The family are
Tracey Norman
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this to read with my daughter, who has recently started the Accelerated Reading Programme. She's a reluctant reader, so I wasn't sure how it would go! However, I was delighted to find that she engaged with the characters almost immediately. The idea of a young lad turning himself into a frog really appealed to her and for once, she was more than happy to sit with me, drink hot chocolate and read. Max, the main protagonist, is 11 and my daughter is 10. She clearly related to Max and his ...more
Bronwen
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is such a cute kids book. We listened to the audiobook TWICE during our travels over the last two weeks. Max and Olivia plus their pets are really lovable characters and I loved the setting...welcome to the kids version of Camelot!
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A fun story for wannabe magicians. AKA all of us. This is a great kids book for a child to adventure off with on their own or have a family adventure reading it together. A good collection of fun magic, a setting in King Arthurs court and some great characters! ...more
Auburn Waves
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Charming Story. Some great comedy - I cracked up at the carrots and parsnips :)
Cheriee Weichel
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I should have waited to finish writing a review of this book before giving it stars. Ultimately I started out giving it 3.5 stars, but when I started to contemplate who the audience was, I changed it to 4.

Before I started reading this book I had just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman (a book for grown ups). I was afraid to read anything because, seriously, when you finish a book that stunning, nothing in the world will compare.

On account of this, I decided to go for a book where I had few
Hannah
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Frogspell is a fun little read about a boy called Max who is lousy with anything resembling a weapon and would much prefer to be a wizard. He sets out to create a spell so impressive that it will win him the Novices' Spell-Making Competition and finally get him noticed. This is how he accidentally invented the frogspell during a fight with his sister and how they end up helping Merlin to stop the Lady Morgana in her tracks.

This book is absolutely adorable. Written for the younger reader, there
Becky
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have seen these books on the shelf and often thought they looked quite fun but never got round to picking them up, then my mum read them for her book group at the library i think and passed them to me. As they are so short I thought why not!

Frogspell follows Max, a young boy living in King Arthur's times. His father wants him to train to be a knight, but Max wants to be a wizard, he has heard of the great Merlin and wants to be just like him. If only he could win the annual spell competition,
Namratha
It is time to take yet another canter around King Arthur's court. And the protagonist here is eleven year old Max Pendragon. Max is a reluctant squire. His real talent lies in magic and he hopes to be a legitimate wizard one day. But familial pressures, snotty competitors and awry spells combine to make him one very frustrated and hapless little boy.

Events suddenly take a dangerous turn when King Arthur's son is kidnapped by the nefarious and powerful Lady Morgana le Fay. It is up to Max, his
Zayneea
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this story about a boy who wants to become a Wizard even though his father wants him to become a Knight. The whole story is based on a spell he has created for the Novices' Spell-Making Competition.

At the start of each chapter there is an illustration by David Wyatt - these are a very beautiful addition to the book, and work really well with the story although do tend to give away what is going to happen before you have read it.

I had borrowed this book from the library, and have
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
From the very first moment that this book I started, I found myself hooked. Straight away you are thrust into the action as a spell that Max is brewing goes completely wrong due to his pet dragon and he accidentally turns himself into a frog! Just from this, it is clear to see how much fun and adventure is hidden within this book and I think that it is the perfect book for younger children. It has all the qualities needed to entertain you, as well as keeping you interested enough to continue on ...more
Lee Födi
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this book with aim to teach it to my younger students in my creative writing class; it's a good fit with themes of magic, mythology, and monsters, as it includes transformations and is set in the kingdom of Camelot and draws on classic characters such as Merlin and King Arthur. It's cleanly written and had a straightforward story that I'm sure my students will love. Myself, I wanted a bit more magic in the writing and in the characters. There are some delightful illustrations to begin ...more
Elfeeza Ul Haq
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with this book. I've always been fascinated by Merlin's story. To have the world of Camelot around the story if the young wizard apprentice, Max Pendragon, his sister, Olivia Pendragon and their pets, Ferocious and Adolphus is just delightful. I've found another gem in the children's fantasy genre. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series. Will recommend this book to my students for sure.
Rebecca Chamberlain
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
These books are fun and short. Perfect for kids that are just starting to read novels.

Final Verdict: funny and short, definitely not one of those books you can read as an adult and enjoy as much as you would as a kid (like Harry Potter)

Review by Rebecca Chamberlain, all opinions, ratings, reviews and thoughts are entirely my own

Crystal Anderson
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Super cute! Absolutely loved it & that it draws on tales of Arthur, Merlin & Morgana Le Fay.
Bev
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun magical read for primary age children, first in a series too I think.
Mailis Viiand
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
For readers aged 5-10. One of the best features are the illustrations and cover. Looks exciting and pretty. The story is not very new or original, but kids probably will not care and like it anyway.
Kathy
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just love this book, such a good story, read it in a day
Seawood
Malcolm Cox
Dec 11, 2016
Terisa
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book. Nice easy read for kids with enough humor to keep them interested.
Johanna
Oct 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Rise of the Balloon Goons (The Notebook of Doom, #1)
  • Day of the Night Crawlers (The Notebook of Doom, #2)
  • Attack of the Shadow Smashers (The Notebook of Doom, #3)
  • Pop of the Bumpy Mummy (The Notebook of Doom, #6)
  • Whack of the P-Rex (The Notebook of Doom, #5)
  • Chomp of the Meat-Eating Vegetables (The Notebook of Doom, #4)
  • La périlleuse aventure de la petite bestiole
  • Classes Are Canceled! (Eerie Elementary, #7)
  • Sam Battles the Machine! (Eerie Elementary, #6)
  • The Science Fair is Freaky! (Eerie Elementary #4)
  • Recess Is a Jungle! (Eerie Elementary #3)
  • School Freezes Over! (Eerie Elementary, #5)
  • The Locker Ate Lucy! (Eerie Elementary #2)
  • The Hall Monitors Are Fired!: A Branches Book (Eerie Elementary #8)
  • The Art Show Attacks!: A Branches Book (Eerie Elementary #9)
  • The End of Orson Eerie? A Branches Book (Eerie Elementary #10)
  • Walt Disney's Peter Pan (A Little Golden Book)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School, #3)
I wanted to be a children's writer from the age of about 10, but got distracted and became an anthropologist instead. I did fieldwork research in south India and then worked for ten years as an academic. I wrote my first children's book, Frogspell, while taking a break between jobs. The sequels, Cauldron Spells, Ice Spell and Swordspell are all now out and I'm working on a new trilogy, starting ...more

Spell (4 books)