Start by marking “Kishka for Koppel” as Want to Read:
Kishka for Koppel

Kishka for Koppel

In this fresh take on a classic tale, a magic meat grinder helps a poor Jewish couple learn a little gratitude after the three wishes it grants them go awry. A cautionary story that questions today's consumerism and excessiveness, Kishka for Koppel, like the best folktales, can help children and adults alike to look both beyond and within.
Published October 1st 2011 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Kishka for Koppel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kishka for Koppel

Start your review of Kishka for Koppel
Donna Mork
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A meat grinder the junk man finds offers him 3 wishes. He makes one by accident. His wife is angry and makes another wish. They have to use their 3rd wish to undo her wish. Now they think they are still poor but they have each other and food and a house. So really, they are rich.
Sarah Green-Hart
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my daughter's book. She said it was kind of weird. I opened it up and saw something about stuffed sheep guts. Naturally, I had to read the thing. I swear, I laughed through this whole book.
Nick
Really 2 1/2 stars, but I rounded up because of the illustrations.
This is a traditional folktale retold in an odd fashion. The cartoony illustrations and the talking meat grinder are delightful, but kids may cringe a bit when they learn just what a kishka really is. The difficulty is that the retelling turns the initial problem-causing wish into an accident, not a deliberate wish, and that takes some of the fun out of the story. Instead of a passive wishing device, the meat grinder becomes a
Kristen
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Joey Gremillion
Love, love, LOVE this story about Koppel, the schlimazel junkman who is lucky enough to be granted three wishes, but neither he nor his wife are smart enough to use them wisely. LOVE the introduction of the mamaloshen to the kinderlech.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beware the meat grinder that offers to grant three wishes.
paeonia
Jan 26, 2012
Amber Black
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FOLKLORE/E-BOOK

This book is the story of three wishes that we've heard all throughout history where the character comes out understanding that they can't take anything for life for granted. This version, though, is centered around a Jewish couple. I really liked this version because of the focus on Jewish culture. There was were references that varied from the Tanakh to the predominately Jewish cuisine of Kishka. I also really enjoyed that this version also spent quite a bit of time focusing on
Andréa

• From Far Away
  • Night Boy
  • Jessie's Island
  • A Porcupine in a Pine Tree: A Canadian 12 Days of Christmas
  • Clifford, We Love You (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Clifford Goes to Hollywood
  • Clifford at the Circus
I always loved to read. As a boy I had a passion for myths, bible stories, science fiction and Mad magazine. My neighbor was a writer for CBC. Maybe I caught the writing bug from him. I loved to write funny stories. My Grade six teacher liked them. But my Grade eight teacher hated them. So I stopped writing creatively until I was 42.
In 1970, I traveled across Europe and North Africa and discovered