Start by marking “Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle, #1.5)

Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle #1.5)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  3,757 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Return to the world of The Warded Man and The Desert Spear in an illustrated new novella by Peter V. Brett.

Humanity has been brought to the brink of extinction. Each night, the world is overrun by demons—bloodthirsty creatures of nightmare that have been hunting the surface for over 300 years. A scant few hamlets and half-starved city-states are all that remain of a once p
Nook, 88 pages
Published August 19th 2011 by Subterranean Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Brayan's Gold, please sign up.
Vagner Stefanello He is in the middle of book 1, before Arlen travels to Krasia.

mark monday
Messenger Arlen before he became the tattooed badass The Warded Man! a journey through the wilderness! demons seeping out of the ground to attack! magic wards creating protective circles! bandits! betrayal! a fight to the death! a lonely young lady, pregnant and brave! a rock demon! a snow demon! thundersticks! competent and unassuming prose, a lived-in world, an enjoyable protagonist. good fun.

now I love making love all night long, who doesn't, but sometimes I'm in the mood for a quickie. this
Bradley
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-shelf, fantasy
This was actually a very satisfying excursion set right dab in the middle of the first book of the Warded Man. Right when Arlen is becoming a messenger, out on the field, he gets into some serious demon trouble with none other than the One-Armed Demon, his old nemesis from when he was just a lad. (And the demon remembered his little gift, of course.)

Seriously, I keep going back and forth whether I would have loved to see this put BACK into the original novel, despite the length. Kinda like the d
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Of two 1.x novellas, I liked Brayan’s Gold the most. It was a true tangent from the middle of The Warded Man and had nothing to do with the overall arc of the main story (more so than usual, anyway… this author definitely has his own unique way of getting to the point). But I did enjoy it, mostly because I thought the snow demon was pretty cool. While I feel it was worth my time, I can’t say the same about The Great Bazaar.

Via The Obsessive Bookseller at www.NikiHawkes.com
Claudia
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
First of all, I want to thank Matt Bergin, who, had not been asking for this novella, we wouldn’t have been reading it now. (I just watched the Golden Globe’s awards… :D)

Well, Matt Bergin, friend and beta reader of Brett’s works, read about the snow demon being only mentioned in The Great Bazaar and Other Stories and he wanted to know more. And this is how this story was born.

It’s not a must, like the above mentioned one I think it is, but it’s a great story, telling one of Arlen’s mission when
seak
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This is a novella set in the Demon Cycle universe (The Warded Man, The Desert Spear) covering a short portion in Arlen's life...you know...before he became superman.

Brayan's Gold occurs during Arlen's time as an apprentice messenger. Messenger's are the brave and daring souls who brave the night and the corelings to deliver messages and other materials. His task, along with his master, Curk, is to escort a wagonload of easily combustible firesticks up into the high mountains to Brayan's Gold, w
Vagner Stefanello
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

Aproveitando que tinha acabado de ler O Protegido, escrito pelo Peter V. Brett, resolvi encarar esse conto e desbravar um pouquinho mais desse universo que eu gostei muito de conhecer.

A narrativa de Brayan's Gold se passa mais ou menos na metade do livro principal, quando Arlen está em Miln trabalhando com Cob e levando adiante o seu sonho de ser um mensageiro.

Em um de seus primeiros trabalhos como aprendiz de mensageiro, Arlen é encarregado de levar
Marc Aplin
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Painted Man and The Desert Spear are among my favourite books ever written. Not only is the story absolutely brilliant, but Peter V. Brett's writing is just simply 'readable'. This is something Peter can do that I think other people lack in the genre right now...

The description is there, but it's not rammed down your throat. You don't have to know how many blades of grass there are to get a feeling of the area. What is more important and what is Brett's finest skill is that he can describe a
Kristalia
Final rating: 4/5 stars

I really enjoyed in this short story - it was nice to read about Arlen's earlier days.

Also, this one is closely connected (somewhat connected) to the characters appearing in Messenger’s Legacy - another short story taking time after third book.

I loved this short story, all in all - although the edition I own is The Great Bazaar & Brayan's Gold - i'm just too bored to switch it over.

This one takes place somewhere in the middle of the first book - is it necessary to r
 *Keith*
This novella was a fun interlude into Arlen's life as an apprentice messenger. His task along with a more experienced messenger (Curk) is to take a consignment of fire sticks to the Duke's mine in the mountains. However things don't go as planned and soon start to go wrong due to Bandits and a one armed rock Demon, who Arlen is more than familiar with.

I enjoyed this novella; it runs at a good pace and helps fill some gaps in the life of our hero Arlen, and we get to see snow Demons for the first
David Sven
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A nice short addition to the Demon Cycle story giving us the account of Arlen's maiden journey as an Apprentice Messenger. The first book of the Demon Cycle series The Warded Man skips a lot of the period between Arlen starting out as a messenger till he is uber badass so there is certainly room for a series of short stories to cover that period and add to the lore of The Warded Man.

This is intended as a standalone novella so you don't absolutely have to read the other books beforehand. However,
Razvan Zamfirescu
Spicuiri din recenzia finala care se gaseste pe blogul meu

..........................................

Primul este Brayan’s Gold. Personajul principal este Arlen care este încă mesager ucenic și care primește sarcina de a livra alături de Cob mai multe bețe de foc minei Brayan. Bineînțeles că se întâlnesc cu niscai bandiți cărora Cob le arată spatele, iar tânărul ucenic le ține piept dând dovadă de o ușoară demență (demență pe care o vom recunoaște în Omul pictat care a devenit Arlen). Nu lipsește
Kristina
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this short story in the new The Great Bazaar and Brayan's Gold edition that was released in April 2013 so unfortunately I am not in on the illustrations, but I don't think it took away from the story. It is a short story about Arlen's first overnight run as a messenger's apprentice, but at the last moment it turns into a near two week run. This story takes during the middle of The Warded Man when Arlen is living in Miln.

I thought this was a great little short story. As it has no effect on
Hayat
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The first book in this series gave me a thirst for more of Arlen's world and this novella gave me exactly what I wanted and more.

I got the graphic audio version of this novella complete with full cast of actors, narration, dramatic sound effects and cinematic music like a 3D movie in my ear! Arlen Bales first journey across the demon infested world as a brand new Apprentice Messenger was full of drama and very satisfying as all the thrills, chills, excitement, romance and betrayals had me at th
Gavin
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This short novella set in the Demon Cycle world told the tale of Arlen's first assignment as a Messenger. Still just an apprentice Messenger Arlen finds himself paired with a more senior Messenger for the trip. The task is taking a consignment of firesticks to the Duke's mine in the mountains. It should be a simple journey but bandits and Arlen's old demon nemesis One-Arm provide a bit of excitement!

The story was entertaining enough. Arlen is Arlen and he never makes the easy choice so his deter
Swagat
Listened to the Graphic Audio version.
Ranting Dragon
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephan
Becky
I decided to plough through some novella's from various series that I haven't gotten around to yet, and this was on the list. This review is actually for the newer edition I believe entitled The Great Bazaar and Brayan's Gold, which includes this and the main story from The Great Bazaar and Other Stories.

Arlen sets off on his first real Messenger mission with his mentor Curk, to deliver thundersticks to the mountain region known as Brayan's Gold so they can mine a new gold vein they recently dis
Melanie
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella-short
A quick read, this book serves to fill in a bit more of the series of blanks left in Arlen's life after The Painted Man. It was intereting to see more of Thesia and learn more about some of the demons who inhabit this world, as well as more interaction between One-Arm and Arlen: you can really see the intense level of hatred between them in this book, which I don't think ever came across to the same extent in either TPM or The Desert Spear.

All in all, a nice little filler story to get my 'coreli
Joel
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with this series of books very quickly, and despite some flaws, it's overall very well written and very entertaining. The two short novellas released as supplementals (this and Great Bazaar), were both very entertaining little side-stories that gave a fun look in on the happenings of Arlen's life outside of the main story.

Both were a little inconsistent with the writing of the main story, but still very enjoyable - Brayan's Gold moreso than Great Bazaar. I personally would love it
Amanda
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed-books
Dang. Now I am out of new Peter Brett material to read. I will just have to wait for book three of the Demon Cycle to come out. Brayan's Gold was a fun, short glimpse of Arlen working as a messenger's apprentice. A must read for anyone that liked The Warded/Painted Man and The Desert Spear.
Dawn
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2011
Another good short story in the Demon Cycle series. Nothing spectacular, but a fun quick read for fans of the series.
Murat
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a short story but still good to read
Bogdan
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, fantasy
Not a bad story in the Painted Man Universe but not something that has impressed me, anyway.

It has her strong points, but overall doesn`t add much to the main plot of the books.
Tai Sanders
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading about a new demon( Snow Demon). It was interesting to hear how Arlen had tried to kill One Arm to no avail even then. :)
Travis sivarT
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What a fantastic story of the pre body wards days. Essential reading for any demon cycle fans .
Jenelle
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
A short little peek into Arlen's adventures as a messenger. I really liked this! In The Warded Man, there is a bit of time jump. Arlen becomes a messenger, but the reader never really sees much of his time in that job.

In this, Arlen takes his first solo job (kinda, he isn't solo at the start). I really enjoyed the adventure. And Snow Demons! I live in a snowy place, I was curious about snow demons. I'm glad it got covered.

this was short and sweet, a glimpse into messenger life. It only made me
Michael
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid.
Christoph Weber
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also a must-read, to get to know some of the peripheral characters and their relationship to the main guys.
Anna Stephens
Nice little backstory from Arlen's past.
  • Nobody's Home: An Anubis Gates Story
  • The Hunter from the Woods
  • The End of the Sentence
  • The Top of the Volcano: The Award-Winning Stories of Harlan Ellison
  • The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales
  • Jacaranda (The Clockwork Century, #6)
  • Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.8)
  • The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1-3)
  • The Mallet of Loving Correction: Selected Writings from Whatever, 2008-2012
  • The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
Peter V. Brett is the internationally bestselling author of the Demon Cycle series, which has sold over two million copies in 25 languages worldwide. Novels include The Warded Man, The Desert Spear, The Daylight War, The Skull Throne, and The Core. Other works include the Red Sonja: Unchained graphic novel and the Demon Cycle novellas The Great Bazaar, Brayan's Gold, Messenger's Legacy, and Barren ...more
More about Peter V. Brett

Demon Cycle (5 books)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
  • The Core (The Demon Cycle, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
“Don’t go getting swollen because you got lucky once. Any Messenger alive will tell you to stay out at night when you have to, not because you want to. The ones that want to always end up cored.” 5 likes
I will respect the corelings, Arlen thought, but I will never stop fighting them. 4 likes