Start by marking “The 5 Factor Diet” as Want to Read:
The 5 Factor Diet

The 5 Factor Diet

Lose the weight with 5 ingredients, 5 minutes, and 5 meals a day: Give this diet 5 stars!

Celebrity trainer and diet expert Harley Pasternak, author of 5-Factor Fitness, shares his secret to easy weight loss in this delicious plan: 5 small meals a day for 5 weeks, plus 100-plus recipes with 5 or fewer ingredients and just 5 minutes of prep time. Meal plans are included, and

Published December 26th 2006 by Meredith Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The 5 Factor Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 5 Factor Diet

Yvonne
Jan 15, 2008 added it
I would give this book ZERO stars if I could. Oh, wait, you mean I CAN? OK, then this is a ZERO STAR BOOK. It's completely unrealistic that someone could actually eat the crap this guy has dreamed up. Allow me to demonstrate:

(in this critique, the parentheses are my comments, and capitals are my emphasis)

Recipe: Roasted Asparagus Spears with Turkey Slices (my first reaction: meat and asparagus? Yummy! I will make!)

Ingredients:
20 asparagus spears
6 ounces sliced turkey (so far, so good)
2 cups shre
Doroti
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Another marketing trick criticizing all popular diet plans and combining principles from most of them in the end of the day!
Suggested meal recipes are too complicated contrary to the initial promises; still, some cooking ideas might be interesting.
Generally, i do not like the regular use of too much dairy and the throwing away of the egg yolks. Encouraging the use of low-fat dairy as well as processed low-fat sauces and mixtures is ridiculous in 21 century.
The workout plans seem reasonable thou
Victoria
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first read his Body Reset Diet at the beginning of summer last year since then I've lost 41 pounds without incorporating his excercise plan. This books was next and I've used recipes from both to alter my diet. It's been super easy. Most of his recipes are not to my taste so I've altered them. He gives you the tools to make your own recipes and I'm no cook so it wasn't hard. All my recipes are still 5 ingredients and under 5 minutes to make and are just variations of recipes he provided. If yo ...more
H.M. Gooden
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I was curious about this book as I’ve seen the name in connection with blockbuster movies/training Hollywood stars so I gave it a gander. A lot of the information was practical and a decent review along with the ubiquitous recipes one finds in each of these books. There was nothing in here that I haven’t seen in most bodybuilding forums but the layout was convenient and would be a great start for any beginner. I may try some of the shake recipes so worth a look.
Shirin Abdel Rahman
Jun 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help
He is attacking all type of diets( low carb- low GI- high protein etc), most of chapters about other diets and how bad they are for your health on the wrong run.
His 5 factor diets are eating healthy balanced food - sleep well- workout and supplements.
he is not saying anything thing valuable or anything you can not find on cosmo or marie claire!
Kristen
Jan 17, 2009 rated it liked it
I really don't know why I picked up this book at the library, since I usually shy away from "diets," but I'm really glad I did. It read more like a nutrition text and its precepts were common sense stuff. I wouldn't even call Pasternak's plan a diet, but a sensible eating plan. I like the idea of one day off a week. Everyone needs to be naughty sometimes =) The workouts were helpful, but I didn't like many of the recipes because they would cost a lot to prepare and are not practical for feeding ...more
Whitney St-Marseille
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have to say that I like Harley's take on nutrition. He is all about eating everything in moderation without having to give up certain food backs. It also helps that many celebrities endorse his nutrition ideas. However, I think the dangegr lies in the fitness side of things. I think in order to lose weight you would probably have to exercise longer than 30 minutes everyday. Many celebrities have hired him as their nutrition counsellor, but they also have their own personal trainer.
Erica
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I've read many diet books this one is the closest I've read to seeming pretty legit. He makes some excellent points and has great ideas. The best thing I've read is that he doesn't restrict you from anything when you're on this diet. Overall the book is telling you the same thing we've been hearing from our families since we were young. Eat right and exercise. Who would've thought right? Mmmm yeah. I'm going to try some of these recipes at least to try them out they seem yummy :-)
Stephanie
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
I liked the workout section a lot better than the diet section. While a lot of his dietary arguments make sense, I am just not able to prepare myself five meals a day - three of them would be while at work! (And even if they take "only five minutes" - which I doubt, making quiche at work is just not going to happen.)

Perhaps this works for his celebrity clients and it could work for some "regular" people, but not for this regular person.
Kristi
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fast little read. Very motivating, but not much new information for me. There are several new recipes I want to try, so that's a good thing. I did enjoy reading about the benefits of continuing my healthy lifestyle journey I started two years ago. I'm a big believer that a fit life feels better than anything in the world and it comes with some small sacrifices....like putting the ice cream down!
Niknesha Q. Hairston
I just started the Harley Hollywood workout so I figure I better eat right also. I mean what's the use of exercising and burning fat when you put it back on with bad food choices, this book was very helpful especially with all the food choices and education on reading labels on food. Hopefully this book helps me reach a healthily lifestyle.
Nina
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished
I heard about this diet but I didn't really know what it was about. I saw the book on the new books shelf at my library and I was curious so I checked it out. The recipes didn't sound very good to me and the workouts seemed too easy.
Yaelian
Jan 28, 2008 rated it liked it
This is my latest obsession, but it seems better than the others because it does not neglect excersise. It's a diet book, so who can really say whether the writing holds up. The point is that the recipes are pretty decent and I like that the workout routines are really diverse.
Gail
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Re-read
Rayna
Apr 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Seems easy enough, unless you are greedy like me =) No, it's the best way to eat and really simple, you still need willpower though.
Shiv allad
yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! itz nice
Erika
Jun 24, 2010 added it
years later..and I still randomly read this book
Even if u dont follow exactly - lots of great info/ideas and easy recipes
Jtg
Jun 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Am about to finish the first 5 week cycle recommended by the author. I like the fitness portion of this book better than the diet/nutrition portion.
Jen
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Sounds reasonable - I tend to skip irrelevant chapters and only read what I want to with books like this, but it makes more sense than a lot I've read. Maybe I'll give it a try....
Jill
Jul 06, 2011
Kim
Jun 19, 2008 added it
I bought it but never really read it, I keep meaning to get to it!!
Milena
Mar 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Six Weeks to OMG
  • The Fat Smash Diet: The Last Diet You'll Ever Need
  • Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery: Over 140 Delicious Low-Fat High-Protein Recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years After Surgery
  • The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories
  • ABS Diet for Women
  • Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: Lose Weight with 433 Foods You Crave!
  • Eat What You Love: More Than 300 Incredible Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories
  • The G.I. Diet: The Easy, Healthy Way to Permanent Weight Loss
  • Thrive Fitness: Mental and Physical Strength for Life
  • The Biggest Loser Cookbook: More Than 125 Healthy, Delicious Recipes Adapted from Nbc's Hit Show
  • Nutrient Timing: The Future of Sports Nutrition
  • Winning by Losing: Drop the Weight, Change Your Life
  • Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy!
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever): Eat More, Cheat More, Lose More--and Keep the Weight Off
  • Hungry Girl to the Max!: The Ultimate Guilt-Free Cookbook
  • Understanding Nutrition
  • The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide: The Complete and Easy Reference for All Your Favorite Foods
Harley Samuel Pasternak is a Los Angeles-based personal trainer, public speaker and NY Times best-selling author known for The Body Reset Diet and the 5-Factor Diet, a popular diet and fitness lifestyle. He holds an Honours Degree in Kinesiology from the University of Western Ontario and a Masters of Science in Exercise Physiology and Nutritional Sciences from the University of Toronto. [wikipedia ...more