Start by marking “No End in Sight: My Life as a Blind Iditarod Racer” as Want to Read:
No End in Sight: My Life as a Blind Iditarod Racer

No End in Sight: My Life as a Blind Iditarod Racer

The inspirational first person story of a young dog sled racer who had to overcome incredible odds to compete: she is legally blindFor more than eleven years, twenty-one-year-old Rachael Scdoris has been guiding teams of sled dogs across jagged mountain ranges, frozen rivers, dense forests, and desolate tundra at speeds exceeding twenty mph. Not only is Rachael the younges ...more
Published February 21st 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published October 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about No End in Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No End in Sight

Debbie Zapata
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dar
I found my 2005 edition of this book on a dealer's used book table in the plaza earlier this year. I could not find this exact edition in the GR database, though. All of the ones listed there have Scdoris herself as the author, but mine lists Rick Steber as author. Of course I was confused about that until I read the introduction, which was written by Scdoris. There she explains that she told her story to family friend Steber and asked him to write it for the world, which explained the mystery o ...more
Mom
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
As an eight year old legally blind girl, Rachael Scdoris decided that she wanted to be a sled dog musher and to run the Iditarod. She faced many challenges along the way but was determined to achieve her goal. Her story is inspiring and informative.
Written in a very simple way, the book seemed aimed to middle-schoolers. Not a great or memorable book, but maybe a good choice for a young child needing a dose of courage or inspiration.
Nikki Horne
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
No End In Sight is a great inspirational story for children to read. I myself was given this book at the age of 12 and I loved it. It is true story about a girl named Rachael Scdoris who is blind. She is also a sled dog racer. It tells the journey off her overcoming her blindness and doing what she is passionate about regardless of her disability. I think this book would be considered a social issue because of her disability. It is hard to talk to children about disabilities because they usually ...more
Emily
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book in eighth grade, and I enjoyed it so much that I loaned it to my English teacher. It pains me that I never got it back. Six years later, I remember enjoying the story immensely and being thoroughly inspired. I would love to read it again.
Kerri Anne
I tried really hard to get into this book because the story itself is just so amazing. To race the Iditarod is an endlessly impressive feat of endurance and bravery and insanity unto itself. To race the Iditarod with no sight seems to rest in the realm of impossibility, and yet it's been done. Rachael Scdoris has done it.

The problems for me with this book are two-fold: the writing itself and the organization, neither of which felt particularly well done or even appropriately finished before thi
Megan
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom-read-this
Amazing story !!!

Amazing story of a courageous and brave young woman, overcoming all sorts of obstacles. She is an incredible inspiration to anyone who reads this book. I’m in awe of her spirit and will to succeed.
Heather Gahres
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great inspiring book. Easily draws you into the story.
Northpaw
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read about ten years ago, remembered flying through it and it being inspiring.... don’t let your disability get in the way.
Shannonmde
Mar 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, book-club, 2013
Glossary of sled dog terms in back of book.. helpful to read before reading the rest of the book.

Some of the places she describes in the book are so big and beautiful sounding or big and dangerous that I find myself looking them up on Google Maps / Google Images to get a clearer picture of where we are since it is such a foreign landscape to me.

Reading the book and hearing the name dropping she does about people who support her or people she's met while making so little mention of her mom make
Jonathan McFerran
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book took me on an adventurous journey across the frozen Alaskan tundra. I enjoyed reading about the hardships Rachael faced for being a blind dog sled racer, and the way she overcame the many preconceptions others had of her. Throughout the book, she proves to be a force to be reckoned with and shows, even professional dog sled racers, that she can do anything she puts her mind to. Rachael and Rick also do a remarkable job incorporating the lifestyle of what it takes to be part of a dog sl ...more
Kerri
Aug 02, 2009 rated it liked it
The exciting and inspirational story of Rachael Scdoris, a professional sled dog musher who happens to be legally blind. Scdoris tells of her childhood in Oregon, participating in track and cross-country in high school, and her life on the sled, starting when she was first allowed to drive a dog team at the age of ten up until she became the first legally blind person to run the Iditarod. Funny, fast-paced and all in all an excellent book. If you loved Touch The Top of the World by Erik Weihenma ...more
Conner
Feb 02, 2010 rated it liked it
This was an okay book. There were quite a few spots where the book really slowed down. I also am not that big of a fan of biographies. I did think that the life of sled dog racer was interesting but it just didn't seem that well written. It seemed like in places there really wasn't enough detail to hold your interest and in other places there was too much information and it became drawn out. All in all I don't regret reading this book but I wouldn't recommend it.
Michelle
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
From the beginning Rachael's life is one of hardship. However she lives her life according to her rules. She loves the outdoors and enjoys her father's sled dogs. As Rachael grows she decides she wants to learn to run with her dad's sled dogs. As her first run is described I felt that I was with her on that sled. This book is full of action as well as heart-felt sadness for the taunting she took as a child because of her visual impairment.
Emilia
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2018
This eye-opening autobiography was interesting and easy to read. I learned much about blindness and loved seeing the world from Rachael's point of view. My favorite chapters were the ones in which she described sledding with the dogs and the care she showed for each of them. Racheal is just a normal girl who works hard to overcome the challenges she faces. One that she will deal with forever is her blindness, but this does not define her, just as the challenges you meet do not define you.
Jennifer Meffert
A Memoir following the challenges a courageous and
tough blind girl met on her way to run the Iditarod. She had to fight for the right to use a ‘sight’ team to direct her when he limited sight failed her. I randomly found this book in the library and picked it up, it was interesting to read and I learned a lot about the ‘musher’ world.
Cathy
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I haven't actually read this book yet because I just checked it out today for an English project. It sounds intriguing though! Imagine a legally blind young woman participating in a 500 mile dog sled race. In Alaska.

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to read! :)

Update: This book was truly inspiring and awesome. I recommend it to anyone!
Erin Martinelli
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Erin by: Discovered while conducting an Iditerod llibrary search
I am 2/3 the way through this book and really like it. The writing style is no nonsense; not fluffy or poetic, but Rachael's story is so inspiring, and at times heart-wrenching, that it is difficult to put down.
Chrissie
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
meh. just. meh.

i only finished it because of my somewhat strange and not fully explored love of the iditarod.

but the book just wasn't well written, the voice was irritating, and it generally lacked.

that said, rachael scdoris, as are all serious mushers, is an amazing athlete.
Cynthia
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Rachel's story of going up against the odds is interesting, but she needed much more help than she got when writing her story. Too often it sounded like a high school essay. However, it was worth reading about how she never gave up even when everything was stacked against her.
Patra
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
While the author isn't the most talented - this story captivated me. I found the ending really thought provoking. It's not your typical ending to a story about someone trying to succeed against the odds. I won't say anymore because I don't want give away the ending.
Joella
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It kept me interested the whole time. I've always wanted to try dog sledding, and reading this only fed that. Also it made me feel really lazy, so it's great motivation!
Trailhoundz
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fast, easy-to-read book. It was marked "teen" in my library but at 36, I didn't find it too annoyingly teeny-bopper-ish at all. My only gripe is that I wish there were more photos!
Jonah