Start by marking “Death in the Woods and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Death in the Woods and Other Stories

Death in the Woods and Other Stories

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  275 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Still fresh and strikingly contemporary, the stark realism of these stories carefully explores the dreams and emotions of Sherwood Anderson's unforgettable characters. In Death in the Woods, we travel deep into the heart of America as Anderson saw it, to find an introspective man, in a desolate landscape, questioning the very meaning of his world.

"Death in the Woods is a s
Published April 17th 2006 by Liveright (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Death in the Woods and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in the Woods and Other Stories

Matthew
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I thought I knew Sherwood Anderson, and then I read this story collection. These stories were written late in his career. They are so direct that I often forgot I was reading a story, and felt like I was listening to a man talk. He really captures that.

Anderson was a very sensitive man. He was touched by all the details in life. He is only capturing the music of life. He doesn't preach. He was the American Chekhov, and maybe the equal of Chekhov. Some of these stories cut me deep, but a wonderfu
rachel
Jul 04, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2011
I think that Sherwood Anderson at his best is an incredible writer. Check out Winesburg, Ohio, the title story in this collection, or any of his stories on the topic of women for proof of this, especially "There She Is -- Taking Her Bath". But aside from the title story and all of his other stories of womanhood -- full of that Jazz Age combination of charm, insight, and sexism -- I found at least half of this collection really tough to get into or care about. Stories of so-called "mountain peopl ...more
Rowland Bismark
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
“A Death in the Woods,” the title story of his 1933 anthology of short fiction, is generally considered Anderson’s finest and most characteristic short story. In it, an unnamed narrator is haunted by a memory from his childhood. In an attempt to understand the enigmatic incident, he returns to the story again and again, seeming to circle closer to the truth with each telling. In composing “A Death in the Woods,” Anderson went through a similar process. Although the story was published in 1933, A ...more
Eldonfoil TH*E Whatever Champion
Well, ain't this a goddamn boring group of stories. Put ya' ta sleep.
But there's a ghost creepin' through 'em that ya' might not know about, in behind 'em ya' see. It's creakin' in my mind right now, seein' as nobody oils it much 'round here no mo'. If ya can catch a glimpse of it, might move ya' ta tears.
Michelle
These stories touch some truth I know inside my soul every time I read them - in particular "In a Strange Town"
Carl R.
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
My last encounter with Sherwood Anderson was with his disappointing Dark Laughter. A friend encouraged me not to give up on him, however, and guided me to Death in the Woods and other stories. Some people, I guess, can write superb short stories, but can't stretch out to longer works.

The Title story here is compelling and grisly, and unmerciful look at rural life in a savage and loveless family. Hemingway has nothing on Anderson when it comes to the short sentence, and that suits the stark descr
Ali
Jun 17, 2007 rated it it was ok
مرگ در جنگل، شروود آندرسن، 1933، مجموعه داستانی ست که در سال های 1926 تا 1930 نوشته شده؛ بازگشت، آخرین داستان، ستیز، مانند یک ملکه، در شهری عجیب، کوهنوردان، یک سفر احساساتی، همسر دیگر، دیدار از جنوب، رودخانه، چرا آنها ازدواج کردند، برادر مرگ، و... بالاخره داستان مشهور "مرگ در جنگل"، که از زبان یک پیر زن روایت می شود. زن و شوهرش که بنظر می رسد یک اسب دزد باشد، در حاشیه ی جنگل زندگی می کنند، از دو فرزندشان، دختر مرده، و پسر که زنده مانده، شبیه پدر است. زن که گذشته ای غمناک داشته، در خانه ی یک آلما ...more
v v
Oct 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
There are books I read for enjoyment, others for my writing life. This collection from S Anderson magically captures both. A story last year I worked on, was modeled after the self-title short.
Why read: Sherwood manages to present casual setting/plots, with rich complex characters. . . invested in the psychology of gestures and process of thinking-- why do people do things, what are they thinking, and also isn't it ODD that things happen this way?
Shelly Fromholtz
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of short stories that explore the nature of relationships, how we communicate with each other, and how we cope and what we tell ourselves to endure. Place and setting also play important roles - mainly in the Virginia mountains - helping to set the tone and mood of each story. The images are sure to stay with me. Great writing!
Robert Zaslavsky
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 20th-century
These late Sherwood Anderson short stories have a remarkable delicacy of touch in their use of language. Each is rather like a fine painting, its narrative visually evocative of a past that never stays past.
Elizabeth Eslami
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
How much do I love this book, and the title story in particular? I can say it simply, and without hyperbole: "Death in the Woods" is the best story I have ever read, and I would give most anything to have written it.
Renuka
Short, but creepy and haunting. The tragic tale of a woman's harsh, unforgiving life seen through the eye's of a narrator who draws parallels between his own life. The death is eerie, mysterious, and unforgettable as the dogs, (or more wolves really) circle around her for one last feeding.
Cindy
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
the father of the modern american short story. a must read for short story lovers.
Claudia Putnam
Three stars overall, five for some stories, less for others, as is usual with story collections.
Vicky
Mar 10, 2014 added it
Shelves: ditw
DVFHGUFYGUYF
Fatih can
this is the best book I have ever read
Yara Abbo
Read "Death in the Woods"; wow, I'm impressed, I didn't think I would like it that much. Anderson's really good at reflecting upon the state of America
Michelle
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Death in the Woods is one of my favorite short stories. I would recommend this to anyone.
Ben
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sherwood Anderson is a master. Period.
Rachel
I actually only read the title story from this collection. Interesting story with an investigation into the human condition through storytelling and perspective.
Evan Oare
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
Read the title story (excellent) and don't bother with the rest.
Carmen
May 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Woman Who Rode Away and Other Stories
  • Collected Shorter Poems, 1927-1957
  • Principles of Literary Criticism (Routledge Classics)
  • Prelude
  • A Sudden Liberating Thought
  • He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson
  • Vein of Iron
  • Peake's Progress: Selected Writings and Drawings
Sherwood Anderson was an American writer who was mainly known for his short stories, most notably the collection Winesburg, Ohio. That work's influence on American fiction was profound, and its literary voice can be heard in Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, Thomas Wolfe, John Steinbeck, Erskine Caldwell and others.

From PBS.org:
Sherwood Anderson, (1876-1941), was an American short-story writer a
More about Sherwood Anderson...

“People keep on getting married. Evidently hope is eternal in the human breast.” 15 likes
“It was a cold day but the sun was out and the trees were like great bonfires against gray distant fields and hills.” 12 likes