Start by marking “By Darkness Revealed (Blackwell Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
By Darkness Revealed (Blackwell Magic, #1)

By Darkness Revealed (Blackwell Magic #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  131 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews

Suddenly, only Ryan's wit, will, and the talent he once hoped to leave behind stand between a nightmarish creature and everything he cares for.

ABOUT TH
Published August 6th 2011 by Role of the Hero Publishing

To ask other readers questions about By Darkness Revealed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Darkness Revealed

So, I Read This Book Today
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly well developed Coming of Age Horror Novel “Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there.” ― Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

“Child, child, do you not see? For each of us comes a time when we must be
Vera Maslow
I got this as a Kindle Freebie.
Was good writing for one of the freebies. I just couldn't get into it.
The characters were bland and didn't see any depth to them. At some points characters would seem like they didn't believe in that magic "stuff" yet they accepted it so easily.
Overall it was just not my cup of tea. Though it was a quick read and not boring. It just didn't pull me in.
Though I see some saying this is fantasy/urban fantasy, it felt more towards horror.
Karen Smith
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Cannot wait to read the sequel. My only question: What happened to kitty spirit...oh wait two questions...who is the gardener?

Don't know what I'm talking about? You'll just have to read to find out. :-D
Bonnie Keck
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Unlimited, his books are space opera to magical to sorta history to LitRPG, and pretty sure they are all available individually/through ku too. FYI, yes I do binge read writers, unless give them 1 or 2 stars and sometimes 3. Obviously not the case here. Look at amazon writer page. Want a rundown of plot? Look at blurb; want more, read reviews, actually just go to reading the books.

Adventures of the Starship Satori: Omnibus 1 (Books 1-3) Book 1: Ad Astra Book 2: Stellar Legacy Book 3: Deep
Andrew Justilian
The is a very good book if you like Magic and people that are coming into their magic.
This book is about a young man that goes to a military academy and finds that there is more than meets the eye.
i would recommend this book if you like that kind of stories.
Edensbookshelf.com
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it

Review: By Darkness Revealed by Kevin O. McLaughlin
Posted on May 31, 2012 | Leave a comment | Edit

“Ryan Blackwell thought to escape his magic by burying himself in the military college at Northshield, Vermont. Instead, he finds himself in the midst of a deeper and more dangerous sorcery than he has ever encountered before. Suddenly, only Ryan’s wit, will, and the talent he once hoped to leave behind stand between a nightmarish creature and everything he ca
Melyna
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed for Edensbookshelf.com, http://edensbookshelf.com/review-by-d...

I was offered the opportunity to read and review “By Darkness Revealed” by Kevin O McLaughlin. After having read the authors description, I was intrigued. A tale of magic woven in a military college setting was a first for me.

We meet Ryan Blackwell in the midst of a training exercise, running through an icy cold stream being pursued by magical creatures. Ryan has been trying to fit in and hide his magical side si
Carl
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was not sure what to expect when I got this book, but it sounded interesting and a bit of a different read for me. Fantasy revolving around the dark-arts and the paranormal is not my normal genre of literature, so I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that I liked “By Darkness Revealed” by Kevin O. McLaughlin a lot! “By Darkness Revealed” has a well-constructed plot; the setting has is a very realistic feeling, which is set in a modern, military college at Northshield, Vermont. It sounds ...more
Lynne Cantwell
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
By Darkness Revealed (Blackwell Magic #1) - Kevin O. McLaughlin This week, I'm reviewing my second book in the Indies Unlimited 2016 Reading Challenge. This month's goal is to read a book by someone who is not an IU minion, but who often comments at IU. I've chosen Kevin O. McLaughlin's By Darkness Revealed because I've never read any of his work previously and had been meaning to.This urban fantasy novella begins with Ryan Blackwell, a freshman at a military school, running a drill with his uni ...more
Opal
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read my reviews here and on the Akamai Reader!

Actually a 4.5 star rating.

I have to admit I was surprised with this book. When I started reading it, I forgot what it was about. Therefore I had no preconceived of notions of what it should have been about. I was really surprised at how good it was instead.

Blackwell is a freshman at a strict military school. He’s trying to escape his family and their sorcery. He’s just trying to keep his nose out of trouble when he finds himself in situations where
Richard Bunning
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an urban fantasy story by a better than competent writer. One that has no trouble keeping one entertained. The well-constructed story is set in and around a very realistic feeling, modern, military academy, whilst the plot makes use of many well established "superstitions" surrounding the "dark arts".
The inter-play of characters was interesting, although too many of them were rather underdeveloped. I would particularly have liked the white knight figure of the gardener to have been more
Adam
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Short version: I wouldn't run out and buy the sequel, but I'd buy it on sale for a long bus ride.

"By Darkness Revealed" was a quick read, and it helped me waste an afternoon of long bus trips. I would probably read the sequel, but I'm not running out to buy it. Like most of the modern military fantasy fiction I've read, this is a throwaway read. I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't tell you not to buy it either. The title is wonderfully misapplied. This book is neither as horrific nor as deep
Dave
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was totally pulled into the world Kevin created. I quickly was identifying with Ryan and I did not put this down until I finished it. Engrossing story and interesting characters. I could not read during the day, but I read one book a night, and on the 4th night I read two additional stories in the Blackwell saga. And I am looking forward to reading book 4 and 5 that are in my reading queue.
Susan
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By Darkness Revealed is the first book in the Blackwell Magic series. This book does contain violence and magic, including dark magic, and may not be for more sensitive readers. It can be read as a
standalone, but does end with a soft cliffhanger for the next book

The book blurb adequately describes the storyline so I'm not going to repeat all of that info here. Please read the blurb for more info on Ryan and Northshield University.

The author did a good job describing Ryan and both the setting
Rosemary Hughes
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A recruit in a training academy, sees something almost drown one of his fellow recruits, and because it was using magical power, those that were trying to rescue the drowning recruit were not able to. Therefore, with a decision made, the watcher stepped in with a surge of magical power and the others could finally rescue the one in trouble.
This one episode puts Cadet Blackwell in the first call basis, when anything bizarre occurs on the campus. Dark magic is used and unleashes a dark spirit that
Jon
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
The title and cover for this book looked engrossing, so I took a chance and decided to download it to my Kindle. Why not? It was free and clocks in at only 123 pages.

For genre, I'd call this one urban fantasy with horror elements. The story takes place on a military ROTC campus in the state of Vermont. When another recruit unleashes a dark force, only Ryan Blackwell has the ability to fight the insidious presence that's hidden from the rest of the school population. The plotting was quick and ti
Gail Davis
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an entertaining story. It was fast-paced. The book's characters are developed well. It is not a fantasy book with lots of gore or deaths. It is more a young man learning how much his powers can do at the same time as coming up against apparitions who are powerful. He must make a decision whether to leave the school because of being in danger or taking the road of honor and helping his fellow students. Honor wins. Lives are changed. His ability is recognized.

This is a very good read. I
Candace Smith
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a great paranormal thriller about a wizard, Ryan Blackwell, who begins college at an academy and only wants a normal life. Strange happenings begin at once, and he finds himself submerged in a place of magic and evil. He manages precarious friendships with other cadets and things culminate in a thunderbolt fight between good and the darkness. This is the first book in a trilogy, and there is a taste of the next book at the end.
Lisacldmom2ksd
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*can be read as stand alone
I do not know this author. Its the first book i read by him.

I love a good fantasy magik book amd this fits the catagory. If you read the discription you know what the story is about.
What I can say is i was on the edge of my seat wanting to know what was going to happen on the next chapter before I finished reading the last. I got so immersed into the story that i felt like i was right there watching everything unfold. I want more. Great story.
Nawesa
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Me gustó mucho cómo el autor entretejió un estilo muy fluido y preciso para describir situaciones mágicas como si fueran reales y dar la impresión de saber muy bien de lo que estaba hablando. Está narrado en primera persona y es la descripción de las aventuras de un chico con habilidades de hechicero que lucha contra un ser malévolo rondando las instalaciones de una escuela militar.
Jadi Cedonia
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, quick readers
I bought this book several months ago--or downloaded it because it was free. At any rate, I saw it, was interested, and had to get it.

When I finally sat down to read it, I was not disappointed. It's not a long book, and it reads fast and the action stays moving. It met and exceeded expectations.

Full Review Here: http://271610.blogspot.com/2013/01/by...
Naticia
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story hit the ground running and didn't stop. As other reviewers mentioned, it requires some suspension of disbelief, but no more than a standard urban fantasy. The horror also isn't too gory or overdone, and unlike so many books, it doesn't shy away from the actual horror of being in a horror plot.

A gripping tale of magic and mayhem. I look forward to more in the series.
Francesca
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Okay, it's a little bit far fetched. It's magic in a completely new territory and it's weird that everyone seems okay with it. I liked it though. This was a fast-paced, easy read and if Ryan had to explain himself every 5 minutes, nothing would have ever got done. It was fun with a bit of darkness and I really enjoyed reading it.
Katherine Gilraine
You wouldn't think that a military college is a place where magic is possible, but not only is it, it's definitely one of the best-kept secrets around the school. A very well-developed story with plenty to keep the reader turning pages.
Diann
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great magical read. Love the idea of the story and
loved the main character, Ryan. This story is packed with lots
of action and suspense. I truly enjoyed it and so will you.
Get this book, you will not be disappointed.
Alex Binkley
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good read. Would like to read of this series. It's on a par with the Odd Thomas stories. Should appeal to folks who like mystery and magic.
J.
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
3.5 to 4 stars
Jim
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nothing fancy, just a fun book about magic in the modern day. I liked it.
Aknez
rated it did not like it
Apr 30, 2017
lynette hicks
Jul 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
When not practicing hobbies which include sailing, constructing medieval armor, and swinging swords at his friends, Kevin McLaughlin can usually be found in his Boston home. Kevin’s award-winning short fiction is now available in digital form at all major ebook retailers. He writes fantasy in settings both historical and contemporary, and science fiction in both the near and distant future.
More about Kevin O. McLaughlin

Blackwell Magic (6 books)
  • Ashes Ascendant (Blackwell Magic #2)
  • Dead in Winter (Blackwell Magic #3)
  • Claws That Catch (Blackwell Magic #4)
  • Darkness Awakes (Blackwell Magic #5)
  • Spellbinding Entanglements (Blackwell Magic, #6)