Start by marking “Darkness Within: A Collection of Horrorific Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Darkness Within: A Collection of Horrorific Short Stories

Darkness Within: A Collection of Horrorific Short Stories

Darkness Within, A Collection of Horrorific Short Stories
These bone-chilling, mind-wrenching short stories will leave you wondering about the people around you...and yourself!
The Owners-What happens to us when the original owners of the planet finally show up?
More To Me-When the ugly truth is too much to bear, some people make their own truth...and it can get even uglier.
P
Published September 7th 2011 (first published June 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Within

Start your review of Darkness Within: A Collection of Horrorific Short Stories
Chris The Story Reading Ape
Keep the lights on when reading.

A selection of dark, tense, spine-tingling and varied tales.
The last one, Victoria Dean - Serial Clerk, was a particular treat.

See my review also at:

Books
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2015
As I’ve mentioned countless times before, I’m not really into the whole anthology thing. But, I was pleasantly surprised by this collection of short stories and found myself captivated and enthralled by this author’s dark imagination.

I enjoyed every story and don’t have any particular favorites. However, two stories that stood out for me above the rest are Popcorn (because I love cats and can easily believe that they can be manipulative and evil), and also Crown Vic (because of the twisted humo
Richard Dominguez
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
As I have mentioned before I love a good anthology (movies and books). Darkness Within was a thrill to read from beginning to end. The writing is crisp and has plenty of twist and turns.
I find it hard not to say what I liked about each and every story, but that would ruin the reading. I would like to mention "The Owners", a scary story that starts off by letting you know whats happening and makes clear how the story will end and then gets darker and darker till it gets you to the end you knew wa
Kate's Reads
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Darkness Within" by Christine Dougherty is a collection of short stories of a horrifying nature. I've previously read her novel "The Devil Stood Up" and the first three chapters of the novel are included in this collection. Dougherty has a dark style and the stories are suspenseful and disturbing. I'll highlight a few of my favorites.

In 'The Owners' the original owners of the planet have returned and have set child against parent in the slow methodical murder of the human race. Edgy and disturb
Kit★
Read the story Popcorn, which I had downloaded as a freebie. Turns out I also have this collection it came from, must've grabbed it as a freebie too at some point, so I will definitely be getting to the rest of the stories soon.
As for Popcorn, I thought it was a pretty good story. I guessed early on what Popcorn's deal was, but I liked seeing where it went. I love cats, but I admit sometimes they can look at you with those eyes, and yea, they can look mean. Ha! I enjoyed how the woman and the ca
♞ Pat Gent
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: archives
I do not like "horror" fiction. I needed a fast read with the word "popcorn" for a scavenger word hunt and this one fit the bill. The fact that it was a short story collection made it even better because it was really fast to read front to back…

The stories were clever, I thought, and Dougherty has a knack for an unusual twist at the end, so this might be right up some other reader's alley. Just not the kind of stuff I care for, particularly.
Debbie
May 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Some of the stories were okay but most were either too short so you were left wondering exactly how the story was supposed to end because it was left up in the air and not an author I would bother to read again unless she did a novel as this collection of stories were just not that good, a quick read but not very interesting in my opinion.
Laronza Wiley-moore
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was okay. Some of the stories were a little dry and predictable but it was a decent book.
Melissa Pomeroy
Apr 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stories in this were not very interesting and way too many typos and errors.
James
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
So far, so good...I'm about halfway through the book. I was only disappointed in one story so far.
Theresa
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories.Most were good. Two of them I couldnt keep straight and didnt understand.
Sheila
Jan 06, 2015
Stephanie
Oct 29, 2012
Chris Dougherty
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Talent Seekers (Princelings of the East, #5)
  • A Ghost in the Kitchen: Three Ingredients II
  • Silver Fire (The Kaerling Book 1)
  • The Mystery of Adventure Island (The Mystery Series #2)
  • Brother Love - a Crossroad
  • Lost Voyage
  • The Showing
  • Explorations: First Contact (Explorations, #2)
  • Willoughby the Narrator (Princelings of the East, #7)
  • Prodigy of Rainbow Tower (Legends of Windemere, #2)
  • Galactic Exploration
  • Strangely, I'm Still Here: An Autobiography
  • Wyrd Worlds
  • Allure of the Gypsies (Legends of Windemere, #3)
  • Thomas the Rhymer (Jack Hughes Trilogy)
  • The Princelings of the North (The Princelings of the East #8)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Mystery of Hidden Valley (Mystery #3)
Chris Dougherty writes from a secluded haven in southern New Jersey at the edge of the Pine Barrens.

News & Interviews