Start by marking “Live and Let Drood (Secret Histories, #6)” as Want to Read:
Live and Let Drood (Secret Histories, #6)

Live and Let Drood

(Secret Histories #6)

The Secret Histories Novels combine “witty banter, tough guy standoffs, visceral fight scenes, bad guy atrocities, surprise revelations, and high stakes”* in supernatural adventures that can only come from the imagination of New York Times bestselling author Simon R. Green.

The name is Bond, Shaman Bond. Better known as Drood, Eddie Drood Yes, I’m one of those Droods—the fa
Published June 5th 2012 by Roc (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Live and Let Drood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Live and Let Drood

Rimsha Salam
Why is Simon R. Green taking so long making us wait through such an enormous cliff hanger not fair he should hurry up this is torture extreme torture! What will happen next? is every one dead? will we see the Armourer again? Damn how i hate waiting!

OMG! OMG! the cover is so awesome!!!

Edit:
Read it, loved it, totally kickass!
Geoffrey
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ever read a book where you felt a 20 page chapter could of been written in 10? That was what i thought reading this entire book outside of the last 100 pages. It's a shame because i usually really enjoy Simon Green's secret histories series revolving around the mysterious Drood family. As usual, Eddie Drood and his family are fighting the evil in the world, in this case 'the most evil person in the world'. Unfortunately, this novel was a struggle to finish because of how long winded Simon Green ...more
Mizuki
The 6th book of the Secret Histories series continues to be its merry self of gun fight, mass destruction, body counts, supernatural mayhem, sassy sense of humor etc etc. It's a quick and an enjoyable read with good entertainment value. 4 stars.
Kathy Davie
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sixth in the Secret Histories urban fantasy series about a super secret-agent family that runs the world. (And I think it comes just after A Hard Day's Knight , Nightside #11)

My Take
Whoa...revelations and reunions in this one! Eddie and Molly are on their own in and the list of possible allies is long and terrifying with reasons aplenty not to request their aid.

I do enjoy this series, even if it does seem more of a not-so-great spin-off from the Nightside---it's that James Bond touch with actio
Leons1701
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
More over the top insanity from Green. The Drood family is gone, wiped out, the Hall in ruins and Eddie is the only one left. Well, except for some rogues. So what's a super powered supernatural secret agent to do? Figure out who's responsible and kill them, of course. Slight problem. The invulnerable armor that is the trademark of the Droods isn't working.

Part humor, part crazy action, part pop culture references, all standard fare for Green.
Shayan Kh
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it

This one continued from the biggest cliff hanger I remember from a Simon Green book. And I'm somewhat disappointed.
(view spoiler)
Ryan Vaughan
Feb 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Cathy
Gideon Emery narrating the last few books elevates what could be a fun, campy story into something a bit more, conveying the deep felt emotions Eddie feels for his family despite his as equally felt disappointments, fears, resentments and angers. Emery convey the mix of bantering humor and deadly seriousness that captures most of the book and definitely Eddie and Molly's relationship. And he's just so darn great to listen too. He's the main reason I keep splurging on the audiobooks, and probably ...more
Ade Couper
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do like Simon R Green....

This is the 6th instalment in his "secret histories" series: if you want to get a flavour of what the series is like, just look at the book titles...! In this latest instalment Eddie Drood & Molly Metcalfe are searching for what happened to Eddie's family, & end up locking horns with the world's Most Evil Man, Crow Lee....

You really get a sense of the author enjoying writing this- there is a genuine feeling of wit & playfulness about not just this book, but
Dan Conery
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have to admit I am growing tired of this series as nothing much is really happening. I was able to guess every plot item many chapters before the main characters. It is frustrating to me that they cannot see the items (like how the author deals with the parents) and thus time is wasted attempting to build up anticipation that is simply not there.

As one reviewer mentioned, same dialog and same jokes. For some this leads to comfort and familiarity while for me it just lead to boredom. I have rea
Ed Nemo
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
In yet another successful addition to the Secret Histories series, Live and Let Drood answered questions that have been out there since the first book in the series. And it left me wanting for more.

Simon R Green really knows how to layer on the action while still making the characters engaging. I rate a book largely by my interest in the subject but mostly on whether I can build a picture of what is happening in my mind.

Eddie Drood and Molly Metcalf take on the most Evil Man in the World. And
aaron
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
it's no secret that i love simon r. green and this sixth book int he secret histories series just adds to the awesomeness! this one finds eddie and molly coming back to find the drood hall burned out and destroyed with no enemy in sight. they find out it is another drood hall from a different time/dimension and thus starts the journey to find out who did it and how to get them back. their search leads them to many different places and green keeps the action/comedy/drama up and he is so awesome a ...more
K.
I think I enjoyed this installment of the Secret Histories series more than any of them since The Man With the Golden Torc. Eddie and Molly, on the run from enemies unknown, with limited resources or support was lots of fun. In between the large amounts of violence that come with any Simon R. Green book, that is.

I guessed the twist ending well before it happened, but that doesn't change the fact that it will be very interesting to see where Green takes the series in the future...
Sean Cummings
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I love Simon R. Green. I love the first five in this series. The sixth book ... well, it's almost like the author was bored. It seemed like there was chapter after chapter after chapter of Eddie and Molly flapping their gums at each other - in fact, the first third of the book is just that; a lot of back and forth chatter between Eddie and Molly. So I guess I'm just massively disappointed because the book COULD have been fantastic - sadly, this one didn't work for me. Sigh.
Christian Freed
Not sure why, but I found this one difficult to get into. The story wasn't bad, neither was the action. I think it must have been the withdrawal from my last reading: At the Sign of Triumph by David Weber. Regardless, I slogged through. Typical Drood story with crazy characters and strange magics. Always fun to read.
Cst
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Part 6 and I am done for the moment. These books are entertaining but so similar that I reach a point where I have to stop and read something else. This is that point. Frankly I expect the series will continue along the same lines and I am looking forward to finishing it, but right now I need a break.
Stan
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
the best installment of this series so far.
Joanne Hurley
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good one. Much fun and mayhem. Long live the Droods!
Sam
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An intense romp, and quite viscerally gross at times. It was fantastic.
Brennan Pratt
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Man, remember Deathstalker? I do. I read that stuff so long ago... and I remember it fondly. Really, I do. So I'm wondering why this book (and the Nightside series) are so friggin' terrible. Its all generally a linear progression of events within an overarching theme, which is all well and fine, except Eddie Drood never loses. His armor always beats X, Y, and Z. If Z happened to be something his old armor couldn't handle, well, his new armor can. If the new armor would have been torn apart by Y, ...more
Jessica
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another entry to the Drood series by Simon R. Greene and it is just as good as the others. I feel like I benefited by not reading them all in a row however, as they can be formulaic.

Eddie Drood is returning to the Famous Drood Manor after defeating the menace from the last book, together with his lady love Molly Metcalfe he is in high spirits. Until he rounds the corner and sees the total destruction of Drood Hall and, presumably, his entire family (Not really a spoiler, it happens like
Ryan
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
If you couldn't tell by now, I'm frickin in love with all things Edwin Drood. This series can go on for as long as the James Bond franchise has, and I would be on cloud nine. The stories get more elaborate and outlandish as they go, just like the Bond movies. There are wonderful toys, over the top villains, and more humor than a marathon of old Laugh-In repeats. This is a series that never takes itself too seriously and has just the right level of snarky wit, even Oscar Wilde would find himself ...more
Richard
Dec 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Welcome to the 6th book in the Secret Histories series by Simon R Green, following the adventures of Edwin Drood and the love of his life the infamous Molly Metcalf.

I can certainly say one thing for Simon R Green, he's certainly one for consistency and repetition. For those that don't know Mr Green has another series of books called The Nightside, and this series occurs within the same universe. however apart from some golden armour and a change in names, the 2 series could be pretty much interc
Alisa Hedden
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
What do you get if you take a James Bond fan; add a wicked sense of humor, a desire to write fantasy and a touch of brilliance? If you are lucky, you get Simon R. Green. If you have not been fortunate enough to read his work previously, buckle your seat belt, you are in for a fast, action filled ride. Happily, this book does work well as a stand-alone although you won’t understand some of the nuances without having read the previous tales.
We start off with Edwin and Molly returning home, to fi
John Parungao
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Anything for the family", words to live and perhaps die by. These words are the motto used by the Drood family to inspire loyalty and dedication to the family. What happens when Eddie Drood comes back to Drood Hall to find it a burned out devestated shell? He'll stop at nothing to punish those responsible. Thus begins his latest adventure, first thing to take care of; new armor. With the disappearance of Drood Hall and their ally the extra dimenional entity Ethel, Eddie must search the grounds ...more
Susu
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I was going to write a review for this, than I wasn't going to, but I always feel I need to justify myself when I give less than 4 stars.

To state it simply this book did not feel like a typical Simon R. Green novel. Big reveals were trivialized. Major decisions were made without explanations. Key details and important information was just skimmed over or skipped completely.

There were many times I had 'hand to mouth' gasp moments at a reveal, while the characters of the book had little to no emot
Neil
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This turned out to be one of my favourite books in the Secret Histories series. Live and Let Drood finds Eddie and Molly without the backup from the rest of the Drood family as they search for the cause of their sudden disappearance. Simon R. Green continues building out the Secret Histories Universe by providing more details on the Department of the Uncanny, the Carnacki Institute and the London Knights, as well as the villainous Crow Lee, and the Traitor in the Drood Family. As well, there's a ...more
Julie
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Simon R. Green is my favorite author, and I can always count on him to give me a consistent character with Eddie Drood; quick as hell, romantic, funny, with just a touch of egotism. I love this guy. The love of his life, Molly Metcalf is just the kind of girl I want to hang out with, but would always be a little afraid of where we would go. What I love about this particular novel is that Eddie is committed to rescuing his family, who he has mixed feelings about to say the least. He's not all lov ...more
Nicole Gozdek
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Die Eddie Drood-Serie von Simon R. Green ist eine Fantasyreihe, die definitiv nicht langweilig wird. Auch mit "Live and Let Drood", dem 6. Band der actionreichen Agentenreihe, ist Green wieder ein spannender Volltreffer gelungen. Hauptfigur Eddie Drood bekommt es mit seinem wohl packendsten und persönlichsten Fall zu tun, denn als er mit seiner Freundin, der Hexe Molly, aus dem Urlaub zurückkehrt, findet er statt seiner Familie nur eine ausgebrannte Ruine vor. Eddie, der letzte Drood und Wächter ...more
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • Managing Death (Death Works Trilogy #2)
  • Dead Waters (Simon Canderous, #4)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Age of Voodoo
  • Doubletake (Cal Leandros, #7)
  • Codespell (Webmage, #3)
  • The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5)
  • Stalking the Vampire
  • Mountain Magic
  • A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3)
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Secret Histories (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Man with the Golden Torc (Secret Histories, #1)
  • Daemons Are Forever (Secret Histories, #2)
  • The Spy Who Haunted Me (Secret Histories, #3)
  • From Hell with Love (Secret Histories, #4)
  • For Heaven's Eyes Only (Secret Histories, #5)
  • Casino Infernale (Secret Histories, #7)
  • Property of a Lady Faire (Secret Histories #8)
  • From a Drood to a Kill (Secret Histories, #9)
  • Dr. DOA (Secret Histories, #10)
  • Moonbreaker (Secret Histories, #11)
“And then you discover what you should have known all along: that it takes only one bad day to turn your life upside down. That there’s nothing you can have, nothing you’ve earned, nothing you’ve paid for with blood and loss and suffering…that the world can’t take away from you.” 2 likes
“Beyond a certain point, hope is more than self-indulgence. It’s self-harm.” 1 likes