Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1

(The Promise #1)

The war is over...but the adventure has just begun!

Picking up exactly where Avatar: The Last Airbender left off. The Promise takes Aang to a Fire Nation colony in the heart of the Earth Nation, where tensions between neighbors threaten to shatter the world's newfound peace--putting the Avatar on a collision course with one of his closest friends, Fire Lord Zuko!
Published January 25th 2012 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.

Sana
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH, I CAN LITERALLY SCREAM ABOUT THIS FOR ETERNITY. This book literally picks up right after the show ends (I was wrong about the other comic) and it's fucking intense as hell.

Full review to come because I'm too busy binging the rest of the books in this series and that ending was fucking INSANE.
Sonja ✧ Badass Wanderer ✧
If you're a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I recommend checking out this graphic novel!

Why You Should Read The Promise:
• The comic is set just after the end of ATLA, so this is the perfect book to read if the ending of the series left you wanting more!
• The artwork is stunning, it feels like watching an ATLA episode!
• Toph is a badass as usual
• Zuko is the Fire Lord™
• And the promise is quite intriguing too.

Buddy read with my brother Siamak
Brigid ✩
After reading:

Oh ... whoops, I still need to review this. Heh heh.

Before reading:

Well OF COURSE I WILL READ THIS. I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AND STUFF.

So yeah, for those of you who don't know, there are going to be these two graphic novels which basically fill in the gaps between The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra (which comes out ... who knows when, but sometime next year). So like, hopefully stuff will be explained. And yeah. I'm so tired I can't even think right now. But YAAAY I'M EX
Alexandra Elend Wolf
"When you are in a position of power, you must put the needs of the world above your own."

I need this so much I've watched Avatar: The Last Airbender twice in my life, one when I was little and the second a couple of weeks ago, and that has been enough to know that it will forever be one of my favorite TV shows. So when I discovered that these comics existed I just had to get my hands on them.

That's a decision for which I'm pretty grateful. The comic has the same feel that the show did,
Lina
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I was hoping that by reading this it would rid me of some of my frustrations about the horrible disappointment that is The Legend of Korra, but all this book managed to do was make me mad about how it is handling of certain things.

Let's begin.

First of all colonization: Initially, the plan was to remove the fire nation citizens from the stolen Earth Kingdom lands, but Zuko basically allows himself to be bullied into changing his mind. The FN people living there are all like “we’ve lived there fo
Ronyell

Introduction:

Now, I am a huge fan of the “Avatar: The Last Airbender” TV series and when I heard that there was going to be a comic book series that would continue from where the TV series last ended, I was so excited that I had to pick up this series! “Avatar the Last Airbender: The Promise Part One” continues from where the TV series ended its run and I have to admit that this was a brilliant continuation of the world-acclaimed TV series!

What is this story about?

After the events of “Ava
Tina
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Original post at One More Page

I never really go to the graphic novels section of NetGalley, but anything Avatar: The Last Airbender related is an automatic pick for me. I loved the series, so reading this was a definite treat.

The graphic novel picks up immediately where the series ended (spoiler warning if you haven't watched the entire series yet), where Aang and Zuko and the rest of the gang were working on bringing back peace in the world. One of the things they were planning to do was to ret
Sophia
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Second Read:
Delving back into this world felt so familiar and amazing! I have always really loved these characters and this world! Getting back into this series, I remember how much I loved the first few parts and I can't wait to read more of this world in comic book form!

First Read:
This comic basically picks up right where the anime left off and I love where it went! You see Team Avatar celebrate the end of the war, then a promise is made (which is why the comic series is called "The Promise"
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
For the review of the whole mini series, and more reviews, please visit my book blog

The Promise is a quick and entertaining read about Aang's adventures after the war was ended.
It's very nice to see all of the characters, and humor is great as usual.
description
Aang and Katara calling each other 'sweetie' gave me the oogies though.

Onto the next one.

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG
Tilly
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's so much fun to re-visit this world again!
Xiomy's Book Tales
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it

Being able to immerse myself again in this world has been brilliant, I even re-watched the entire series just to reread these books!

A must read for fans of the show since we do get Toph's badassery and Sokka's witty sense of humor. Plus Zuko, Aang, and Katara beyond those final moments that defined their status in the TV series!

********Spoilers of things I didn't agree with*****

Now while I enjoyed the openi
Brittany
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SPOILERS FOR AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER SHOW!

I had finished a rewatch of this series when I decided that I wanted to pick up the graphic novels. This first part was so nice to be able to go back to the world of Avatar and to see the characters a year on. In this, the gang is attempting to create a new and better world. However, Zuko is struggling with doing what is right for his people and for the world.
I loved this so much. Avatar has always been one of my favorite shows and this graphic novel
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-horse, comics
Completely satisfied!

The only thing this book had to do for me to love it was to be as good as the tv show was.

And it was.

Success!
Lanni
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
The great thing about this book is also the worst thing about this book. The characterization. Sokka's quips about 'oogies' and general obnoxious-ness are perfectly in character. Toph's rather rude nicknames for her students are perfectly Toph. Even Ty Lee's facial expressions (in the two panels she appears in) are perfect, and somehow Aang and Katara calling each other 'sweetie' seems like exactly the thing they would do. But Aang's agreement with Zuko (a major plot point) is so out of characte ...more
Nina
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I took away one star because a) it's too short, and b) Aang and Katara saying "sweetie" felt too out of character for me. However, this graphic novel is bloody good and a great extension of the series. Now I just need to get the other two...
Shee
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Ugh so good to be back in this world was seriously missing the squad.
Virginia
I was so excited when I got this in the mail!! I totally miss the world of A:TLA and was so chuffed to delve back into this world. I know this is part of the promotional material to set up for the next Avatar series, but I don't care. All I want is MORE ZUKO!! MORE ZUKO!!

The art is beautiful and the humor asides are fun. I think in graphic novel form, the story seems a bit more juvenile than the cartoon, but I realize also that this first volume is the set up and not the climax/resolution. I ca
Stacie (MagicOfBooks)
I will also do a video review here at my channel: http://www.youtube.com/magicofbooks

"The Promise" is book 1 in an exciting new story set in the world of "Avatar: The Last Airbender." The war is over, but there is still tension between the nations. Aang believes that the way to peace is for Zuko to remove any presence of the Fire Nation from the Earth Nation. While Zuko wants peace as well, he's not comfortable with removing families who have lived in the Earth Nation for generations. This confl
CYNTHIA °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
I was devasted when the Last Air Bender ended and I've always wondered what happened to them. The Legend of Korra takes place after Aang died so I never really found out what happened to Aang and his friends after they defeated the Fire Lord.

Until I read this, of course! I can't wait to finish the series whoop!
Goran Lowie
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
It was way better than I expected-- way better than it has any right to be! And yet, it doesn't come anywhere close to the show, lacking the gut-wrenching emotional moments, intricate relationships and most of all the character development. But I suppose that's to be expected after only one issue. I enjoyed it, but it just felt... lacking.
Steph
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2017
Ana
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
I genuinely love this series!
Jen • Just One More Page

Review for all three parts under the cut.
(view spoiler)
Booknut
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Booknut by: NetGalley and Goodreads
Absolutely content. When the TV series ended with so many loose threads and the new series Korra announced, I kept feeling as if there was a whole story left untold.

This book, The Promise Part 1, continues where Avatar Last Airbender the TV series left off - with Aang's duty fulfilled, Zuko as Firelord and the rest of the gang helping in the peace effort, it seems like this book is just going to be about the gang having fun and chilling out in the Fire Nation. But their peace threatens to be de
Sesana
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
This review is for all three volumes, since it's really just one story and I read them all in one sitting.

Sadly, I didn't like this nearly as much as Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search. There's nothing terribly wrong with this story, but there's nothing terribly good about it, either. Yes, it does have the feel of an episode or two of the show, but these would not have been my favorite episodes. Not enough happens, and the same characters have the same arguments over and over again. And To
Cath
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
5/5 stars!!
Oh my god this was like watching an episode of the cartoon! I loved it!

It had the same humour and the same feel as the show, I really am looking forward to reading the next two parts of The Promise.
I love that Toph has her own metal bending academy and that Sokka still has his boomerang :P
Also every time Aang and Katara call each other 'sweetie', I just die a little inside. <3
Shan( Shans_Shelves) &#x1f49c;
Well that was delightful!!

It was fun to be back with Aang and co and I’m looking forward to seeing more of Zuko’s storyline. He’s one of the most complex characters I’ve ever seen! Nothing written and or/ on tv has ever beat his redemption arc and I’m curious to see were the comics are going to take him.

I know, thanks to watching LOK, that the end result will be good but from the looks of it he’s got a way to go.

Okay as much as I adored this comic I have one problem: Aang and Katara’s relations
Rianna
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Avatar omg I can't wait to read the rest of this series. And also, great that it isn't just a comic of the tv show but starts after the tv show ends.
Serena
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'll never ship kataang. I got the oogies too
Erin
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, graphics
I love this tv series! So I was so happy to see that they have continued with the story. I am glad that most of the original artists are involved so that things can follow through! I can't wait to read the rest of them.
Future Teachers, ...: Kala Ulep Review 1 1 14 Sep 13, 2016 08:49PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise Part 1 1 12 Jul 24, 2015 10:08PM
Endgame 3 23 Dec 12, 2013 01:13PM

• Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • Avatar Volume 1: The Last Airbender (Avatar #1)
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
  • Adventure Time Vol. 1
  • Another Castle: Grimoire
  • The Lost Scrolls: Fire
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Scrolls Collection
  • The Dark Island
  • Tune: Vanishing Point (Tune, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He

The Promise (3 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 2 (The Promise, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 3 (The Promise, #3)