Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise Part 1” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise Part 1

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise Part 1

(Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics #1.1)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  45,254 ratings  ·  2,126 reviews
The war is over...but the adventure has just begun!

Picking up exactly where Avatar: The Last Airbender left off. The Promise takes Aang to a Fire Nation colony in the heart of the Earth Nation, where tensions between neighbors threaten to shatter the world's newfound peace--putting the Avatar on a collision course with one of his closest friends, Fire Lord Zuko!
Published January 25th 2012 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.
J Z Um...well you read it left to right. Like a regular book....

Do you know how to read?…more
Um...well you read it left to right. Like a regular book....

Do you know how to read?(less)

·  45,254 ratings  ·  2,126 reviews

3.) The Rift ★★★★
4.) Smoke and Shadow ★★★★.5
5.) North and South ★★★★.5

-----------------------------------------------

This is so great - it really tackles a lot of things that we can really relate to in our world too. It mainly deals with colonialism and the aftermath of a city that is not fire nation and not earth kingdom, but both, and what this means for the future of this world. I also really liked how they included something similar to the
Sana
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH, I CAN LITERALLY SCREAM ABOUT THIS FOR ETERNITY. This book literally picks up right after the show ends (I was wrong about the other comic) and it's fucking intense as hell.

Full review to come because I'm too busy binging the rest of the books in this series and that ending was fucking INSANE.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
MY BABIES 😍😍😍😍

This was exactly as precious and adorable and nostalgic as I expected it to be, and I'm just sad that I didn't read it a long time ago. As someone who has been a diehard A:TLA fan since literally the world premiere of s01e01, I was a little bit apprehensive about finally picking this up, but it holds up the values and humor of the show SO WELL and it was just so delightful to see my little bendy babies growing up a little. Plus, Zuko was his usual conflicted cinnamon roll self 😍

If
✨    jamieson   ✨
Aaaaaahh I love my babies so much I MISS THE GAANG EVERYDAY

Avatar is ?? the highest quality tv show of All Time and thats the tea

Anyway this was super fun and I just loved getting back in the world even if it's only in a small way. I definitely think this tackles an important and massive problem within the Avatar verse to the concept and theming were great. I also think the character voices were so well written it felt very in character and I could hear the characters voices

Aang is my son I'd p
may ➹
even beyond the show Zuko’s arc is still 👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌
Mrinmayi
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: let me read it first
Recommended to Mrinmayi by: the hype
Shelves: comics
If you guys see continuous Avatar updates....don't think I have gone crazy!!!*laughs Azula style*

I am OFFICIALYY ADDICTED to this series..and I will be bingeing it
Will write the memes reviews later😅
Till then..enjoy these memes!!

Sokka is my soul twin bro(?) or is it twin soul bro(?) *confused Mrin*!!

Update 1
HELP!!!! HELP!!!! This comic illiterate aka Mrin needs help
I am so confused how to start this series

Do I directly start with "THE PROMISE" ???!!
Or do I need to read any other comic before it??
Blake the Book Eater
This was a great continuation of Avatar! The characters all felt the same and the storyline was interesting enough. I loved the themes present, but the only reason why I’m not giving it 5 stars is because it didn’t quite feel as impactful as it should have. Maybe I’m spoiled by the show but I almost wanted to see the conflict drawn out longer so we could get even more nuance. But it’s still a great read, definitely worth it if you love the show!
Connor
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
My Video Review:

I definitely think this is the edition that people should read these comics out of with all of the extra behind the scenes notes. I already wrote out my notes to do a video on this, so it'll be posted here when it's done. I love Avatar though, so expect some mild gushing.
Shi ❀
Aaargh the ending was not very satisfying to me but it was still so good!! But seriously. My Zuko deserves better than this. Hmpf.

Here's a few Zuko appreciation GIFs just because.

description

(Also I’m a fire sign (Aries) and my Chinese zodiac sign is a dragon 🐉 - just sayin’ that maybe that’s what this is partially coming from 😂)

I mean...

description

And now, the best for last.

People explaining to me that Zuko is a fictional character.
Zuko to me:

Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sokka's "oogies" reminds me of Mean Girls 🤦😂

I love the characters already!

One of the best artwork ever in graphic novels.

I am sure the show is good but I will to the graphic novel series as for now.

Fire Lord, I am obsessed with this character. Love his character. He has a legacy to maintain and keep up. So much more is coming up.

The only thing I don't like at all is what makes Sokka to overuse his "oogies" - the unwanted PDA between the Avatar and his girlfriend. It's annoying when it becomes to
Brigid ✩
After reading:

Oh ... whoops, I still need to review this. Heh heh.

Before reading:

Well OF COURSE I WILL READ THIS. I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AND STUFF.

So yeah, for those of you who don't know, there are going to be these two graphic novels which basically fill in the gaps between The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra (which comes out ... who knows when, but sometime next year). So like, hopefully stuff will be explained. And yeah. I'm so tired I can't even think right now. But YAAAY I'M EX
Sonja ✧・゚。★*☾
If you're a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I recommend checking out this graphic novel!

Why You Should Read The Promise:
• The comic is set just after the end of ATLA, so this is the perfect book to read if the ending of the series left you wanting more!
• The artwork is stunning, it feels like watching an ATLA episode!
• Toph is a badass as usual
• Zuko is the Fire Lord™️
• And the promise is quite intriguing too.

Buddy read with my brother Siamak
Alexandra Elend Wolf
"When you are in a position of power, you must put the needs of the world above your own."

I need this so much I've watched Avatar: The Last Airbender twice in my life, one when I was little and the second a couple of weeks ago, and that has been enough to know that it will forever be one of my favorite TV shows. So when I discovered that these comics existed I just had to get my hands on them.

That's a decision for which I'm pretty grateful. The comic has the same feel that the show did,
Zahra
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished re-watching the show. And instead of dealing with the sadness that threatened to consume me whole I ignored my feelings and immediately went in search of more Avatar content because that's a totally healthy way to deal with things.
Chloe
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!! ❤️️

I finished watching ATLA on Sunday, and I'm SO glad I had the comics to dive straight into because I needed (and still need) more.

This was PERFECT! It feels exactly like the show (the vibe, the humour, the characters, everything).

All ATLA fans must read this!!

So flippin' excited to get to The Search
Henny
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I still wish there would be a 4th season but maybe these comics will answer my questions and still my cravings for more of this fantastic universe and characters!
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Rating: 4.5 stars
Lanni
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
The great thing about this book is also the worst thing about this book. The characterization. Sokka's quips about 'oogies' and general obnoxious-ness are perfectly in character. Toph's rather rude nicknames for her students are perfectly Toph. Even Ty Lee's facial expressions (in the two panels she appears in) are perfect, and somehow Aang and Katara calling each other 'sweetie' seems like exactly the thing they would do. But Aang's agreement with Zuko (a major plot point) is so out of characte ...more
Chad
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very solid continuation of the cartoon. The Promise starts out with the Fire Nation relocating all of the colonies they established in the Earth Nation. But problems arise when the older colonies do not want to leave. They've lived there for over a hundred years now and members of Fire and Earth Nation have combined into new families consisting of both. Yang does a good job of capturing the characters from the show. Gurihiru's art is very anime influenced. It's pretty good most of the time but ...more
Delores
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was well written and the illustrations were spectacular. I loved the Avatar and all the characters. I liked the message of peace and I can't wait to read more!
Leah Waters
I ADORED this graphic novel! I love seeing Aang's and Katara's relationship, and I love knowing that the story goes on.

This series is everything.
Himanshu Karmacharya
I am a huge fan of the TV series. When it ended, I was left with a gaping hole in my heart because I had to bid farewell to the Avatar universe, the diverse characters which had captivated me so and to the wise words of General Iroh. I was so glad when I found out that there were graphic novels of the series. The Promise picks up right after the end of the TV series finale.

The book serves as an extended epilogue, following the events that occurred after the war. Zuko faces his first great task
(inactive)
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my heart is so fucking full rn.
Umairah | Sereadipity
Team Avatar is back! But I can't handle Katara and Aang calling each other 'sweetie' it's unbearable!
Thomas
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nivedha
a great return to the atla world. it balances humour and drama perfectly, creating an enjoyable and engaging read.
Ronyell

Introduction:

Now, I am a huge fan of the “Avatar: The Last Airbender” TV series and when I heard that there was going to be a comic book series that would continue from where the TV series last ended, I was so excited that I had to pick up this series! “Avatar the Last Airbender: The Promise Part One” continues from where the TV series ended its run and I have to admit that this was a brilliant continuation of the world-acclaimed TV series!

What is this story about?

After the events of
CF Dracarys
I'm so happy these graphic novels exist. They perfectly continue the story of the show and capture each character flawlessly. I forget I'm reading a graphic novel and feel like I'm still watching the show. Plus, Azula comes back too and she's one of my favorite villains ever!!
춘분™
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I literally LOVE this series. I lost count of the times when I saw all the chapters. I recommend it 100%
Vee
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
So much fun! Loved to see my favorite characters again on a new adventure ❤️.

• Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 2 (Imbalance, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 3 (Imbalance, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part One (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #1)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Two (Ruins of the Empire, #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Two (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Three (Ruins of the Empire, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Three (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part One (Ruins of the Empire, #1)
  • Katara and the Pirate's Silver (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
  • The Lost Scrolls: Water
  • The Lost Scrolls: Earth
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)
  • The Shadow of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - Relics (Free Comic Book Day 2011)
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He

Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics (7 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search Part 1
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift Part 1
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow Library Edition
  • Avatar: The last airbender, North and South
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • Team Avatar Tales (Avatar: The Last Airbender)