Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 1

(Avatar: The Last Airbender comics: The Promise #1)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  29,500 ratings  ·  1,343 reviews
The war is over...but the adventure has just begun!

Picking up exactly where Avatar: The Last Airbender left off, The Promise takes Aang to a Fire Nation colony in the heart of the Earth Nation, where tensions between neighbors threaten to shatter the world's newfound peace—putting the Avatar on a collision course with one of his closest friends, Fire Lord Zuko!
Published January 25th 2012 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.
J Z Um...well you read it left to right. Like a regular book....

Do you know how to read?…more
Um...well you read it left to right. Like a regular book....

Do you know how to read?(less)
Tazmeen Kasim Hope you see my answer.
Hope you see my answer.
You can't read it on Goodreads. But if you want for free then I suggest Readallcomics.com. There will be ads. If you're okay with paying then I suggest Amazon or a nearby comicstore.(less)

·  29,500 ratings  ·  1,343 reviews

Start your review of Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
Drcong O '
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH, I CAN LITERALLY SCREAM ABOUT THIS FOR ETERNITY. This book literally picks up right after the show ends (I was wrong about the other comic) and it's fucking intense as hell.

Full review to come because I'm too busy binging the rest of the books in this series and that ending was fucking INSANE.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Avatar: The Last Airbender (The Promise, #1), Gene Luen Yang, Bryan Konietzko, Michael Dante DiMartino, Gurihiru (Illustrator)

The events of The Promise begin immediately after the last episode of the original series, "Avatar Aang", before jumping forward one whole year. It is followed by Avatar: The Last Airbender – The Search.

Part One: Following Fire Lord Ozai's defeat and the conclusion of the Hundred Year War, the Harmony Restoration Movement is established to remove the Fire Nation Colonies
Mrinmayi
When Aang call Katara "sweetie"
Sokka(in Kiyoshi warriors uniform):

Mrin( Chilling with Toph) :
Reading_ Tamishly
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sokka's "oogies" reminds me of Mean Girls 🤦😂

I love the characters already!

One of the best artwork ever in graphic novels.

I am sure the show is good but I will to the graphic novel series as for now.

Fire Lord, I am obsessed with this character. Love his character. He has a legacy to maintain and keep up. So much more is coming up.

The only thing I don't like at all is what makes Sokka to overuse his "oogies" - the unwanted PDA between the Avatar and his girlfriend. It's annoying when it becomes to
Brigid ✩
After reading:

Oh ... whoops, I still need to review this. Heh heh.

Before reading:

Well OF COURSE I WILL READ THIS. I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AND STUFF.

So yeah, for those of you who don't know, there are going to be these two graphic novels which basically fill in the gaps between The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra (which comes out ... who knows when, but sometime next year). So like, hopefully stuff will be explained. And yeah. I'm so tired I can't even think right now. But YAAAY I'M EX
Alexandra Elend Wolf
"When you are in a position of power, you must put the needs of the world above your own."

I need this so much I've watched Avatar: The Last Airbender twice in my life, one when I was little and the second a couple of weeks ago, and that has been enough to know that it will forever be one of my favorite TV shows. So when I discovered that these comics existed I just had to get my hands on them.

That's a decision for which I'm pretty grateful. The comic has the same feel that the show did,
Sonja ✧・゚。★・゚☾
If you're a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I recommend checking out this graphic novel!

Why You Should Read The Promise:
• The comic is set just after the end of ATLA, so this is the perfect book to read if the ending of the series left you wanting more!
• The artwork is stunning, it feels like watching an ATLA episode!
• Toph is a badass as usual
• Zuko is the Fire Lord™️
• And the promise is quite intriguing too.

Buddy read with my brother Siamak
Lanni
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
The great thing about this book is also the worst thing about this book. The characterization. Sokka's quips about 'oogies' and general obnoxious-ness are perfectly in character. Toph's rather rude nicknames for her students are perfectly Toph. Even Ty Lee's facial expressions (in the two panels she appears in) are perfect, and somehow Aang and Katara calling each other 'sweetie' seems like exactly the thing they would do. But Aang's agreement with Zuko (a major plot point) is so out of characte ...more
Henny
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I still wish there would be a 4th season but maybe these comics will answer my questions and still my cravings for more of this fantastic universe and characters!
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Rating: 4.5 stars
(inactive)
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my heart is so fucking full rn.
Ronyell

Introduction:

Now, I am a huge fan of the “Avatar: The Last Airbender” TV series and when I heard that there was going to be a comic book series that would continue from where the TV series last ended, I was so excited that I had to pick up this series! “Avatar the Last Airbender: The Promise Part One” continues from where the TV series ended its run and I have to admit that this was a brilliant continuation of the world-acclaimed TV series!

What is this story about?

After the events of
춘분™
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I literally LOVE this series. I lost count of the times when I saw all the chapters. I recommend it 100%
Vee
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
So much fun! Loved to see my favorite characters again on a new adventure ❤️.
Aranza (grumpy version)
Zuko is literally my favorite character. We see him through all the series struggling with himself, but just because the War is over doesn’t mean the struggles are over too.

Because of the expansion of the Fire Nation, many colonies have been in the Earth Kingdom for over a hundred years. People have made their roots and families in those places. But with the war over, the Earth Kingdom just wants the colonies to go back to the mainland, and to restore peace the way it used to.

You don’t need to
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
For the review of the whole mini series, and more reviews, please visit my book blog

The Promise is a quick and entertaining read about Aang's adventures after the war was ended.
It's very nice to see all of the characters, and humor is great as usual.
description
Aang and Katara calling each other 'sweetie' gave me the oogies though.

Onto the next one.

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
*3.5

I technically read this a while back, but I really don't know why. I never actually finished the Avatar TV show as a kid for some reason. But I've finished it now (love it), and so I'm checking out the "canonical" graphic novels.

The premise of this one is instantly off. "The Promise" is Zuko asking Aang to kill him if he ever becomes like his father. And... Aang agrees. Aang. Aang, who doesn't eat meat and doesn't kill anyone or anything. Sure, sure, this is in-character. And then he talks w
Emma Angeline
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was so happy when I realised these existed lololol and then I bought the first five oops
Tina
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Original post at One More Page

I never really go to the graphic novels section of NetGalley, but anything Avatar: The Last Airbender related is an automatic pick for me. I loved the series, so reading this was a definite treat.

The graphic novel picks up immediately where the series ended (spoiler warning if you haven't watched the entire series yet), where Aang and Zuko and the rest of the gang were working on bringing back peace in the world. One of the things they were planning to do was to ret
Sophia
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Second Read:
Delving back into this world felt so familiar and amazing! I have always really loved these characters and this world! Getting back into this series, I remember how much I loved the first few parts and I can't wait to read more of this world in comic book form!

First Read:
This comic basically picks up right where the anime left off and I love where it went! You see Team Avatar celebrate the end of the war, then a promise is made (which is why the comic series is called "The Promise"
Tilly
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's so much fun to re-visit this world again! ...more
Nina
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I took away one star because a) it's too short, and b) Aang and Katara saying "sweetie" felt too out of character for me. However, this graphic novel is bloody good and a great extension of the series. Now I just need to get the other two... ...more
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, dark-horse
Completely satisfied!

The only thing this book had to do for me to love it was to be as good as the tv show was.

And it was.

Success!
oliver
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
@ fire lord zuko: yes i do the cooking, yes i do the cleaning
Toshita
Sep 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
kaylee
Jul 08, 2022 rated it really liked it
I love these comics, take place right after the book, I just wish they were longer :(
Xiomy's Book Tales
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it

Being able to immerse myself again in this world has been brilliant, I even re-watched the entire series just to reread these books!

A must read for fans of the show since we do get Toph's badassery and Sokka's witty sense of humor. Plus Zuko, Aang, and Katara beyond those final moments that defined their status in the TV series!

********Spoilers of things I didn't agree with*****

Now while I enjoyed the openi
Virginia
I was so excited when I got this in the mail!! I totally miss the world of A:TLA and was so chuffed to delve back into this world. I know this is part of the promotional material to set up for the next Avatar series, but I don't care. All I want is MORE ZUKO!! MORE ZUKO!!

The art is beautiful and the humor asides are fun. I think in graphic novel form, the story seems a bit more juvenile than the cartoon, but I realize also that this first volume is the set up and not the climax/resolution. I ca
Madeline O'Rourke
I totally didn't expect how natural it would feel to read Avatar. Between the art style and the dialogue, it really feels exactly like the TV show!

Part 1 of The Promise sets up some interesting arcs for the characters. Specifically, Zuko's ongoing struggle with how to lead the Fire Nation and not falling into evil ways. of course, it also must be mentioned: the couple stuff between Katara and Aang, especially the use of "sweetie," is killing me slowly. Like Sokka, I cringe so hard every time —
Shee
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Ugh so good to be back in this world was seriously missing the squad.
Goodreads Librari...: Combining Editions 1 7 Apr 28, 2021 12:28PM
Future Teachers, ...: Kala Ulep Review 1 1 14 Sep 13, 2016 08:49PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise Part 1 1 14 Jul 24, 2015 10:08PM
Endgame 3 25 Dec 12, 2013 01:13PM

• Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 1 (Imbalance, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 2 (Imbalance, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 3 (Imbalance, #3)
  • Avatar The Last Airbender: The Art of the Animated Series
  • Katara and the Pirate's Silver (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #0.5)
  • Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Toph Beifong's Metalbending Academy (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Avatar Volume 1: The Last Airbender (Avatar #1)
  • Suki, Alone (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #0.6)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part One (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #1)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Two (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #2)
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Three (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part One (Ruins of the Empire, #1)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Three (Ruins of the Empire, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Two (Ruins of the Empire, #2)
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
See top shelves…
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He

Avatar: The Last Airbender comics: The Promise (3 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 2 (The Promise, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 3 (The Promise, #3)