Start by marking “Bread of Angels” as Want to Read:
Bread of Angels

Bread of Angels

As Barbara Brown Taylor reminds us, the Israelites received the bread of angels-- manna--as they made their way through the wilderness. So too is God made known to us in the simple things that sustain our lives. With humor and an eye for human stubbornness, Taylor points to just how much like the people of scripture we can be--stiff-necked and ungrateful in the face of ...more
Published January 25th 1997 by Cowley Publications (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Bread of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread of Angels

Start your review of Bread of Angels
Aldafan
Aug 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love all of her books. This is a book of her sermons that was used this year for our Daughters of the King study. It contains my favorite sermon, "God's Daring Plan," that I re-read every Christmas Eve.
Dennard Teague
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tsundoku-2018
I participate in a bible study/book study at my church. BBTs sermons have led us to great discussions! ...more
Derek Kubilus
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Her sermons are always an inspiration to this working preacher.
Rev. Linda
As Barbara Brown Taylor reminds us, the Israelites received the bread of angels manna as they made their way through the wilderness. So too is God made known to us in the simple things that sustain our lives. With humor and an eye for human stubbornness, Taylor points to just how much like the people of scripture we can be stiff-necked and ungrateful in the face of God s bounty. Taylor moves through the span of the Bible in her search for divine love. In the stories of Moses, David, and Daniel ...more
Stephanie
Nov 22, 2010 rated it liked it
This book reminded me of Eat,Pray,Love but the author is on more of a spiritual journey. She is in Damascus for a year studying Christianity in the Middle East. She uses much imagery but by the end I felt the book dragged. I did learn much about the Koran and that it had a Jesus and stories similar to those in the Bible .Also I loved the descriptions of Damascus--you could see,hear and smell the life there.
Naomi
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
An older volume of Barbara Brown Taylor's sermons, _Bread of Angels_ is an invitation to the reader to wrestle with whether or not we really want to know the Spirit, the terrifying and awe that attends living a God-filled life, that pushes us past our comfortable definitions and easy understanding of our faith. These remain words that challenge and encourage at the same time.
Lscoopmire
Apr 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Barbara Brown Taylor is a gifted, engaging writer and preacher and it's a tragedy that she seemed to burn out and leave the active ministry. But if you suffer from listening to poor sermons from time to time, this book --and her others-- will make you even more discontented. I ran across this when I took a class on preaching last summer. Enjoy!
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Apparently I finished reading this the day after my daughter was born, so I was a bit distracted. Probably would have enjoyed it more if I was concentrating.
Pamela Weed
Don
Aug 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Love Letters of Great Women
  • Jesus Outside the Lines: A Way Forward for Those Who Are Tired of Taking Sides
  • A Ghostly Undertaking (Ghostly Southern Mysteries, #1)
  • Wherever She Goes
  • The Ten Commandments of Progressive Christianity (Cruciform Quick Book 6)
  • The Story of God, the Story of Us: Getting Lost and Found in the Bible
  • Don't Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life
  • The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out
  • The Monkhood of All Believers: The Monastic Foundation of Christian Spirituality
  • Resilient Faith: How the Early Christian "third Way" Changed the World
  • Story of Monasticism
  • Everyone is Beautiful
  • Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything
  • Skin Game (The Dresden Files, #15)
  • The True Meaning of Smekday
  • The Wolf Shall Dwell With the Lamb: A Spirituality for Leadership in a Multicultural Community
  • Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation
  • Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
Barbara Brown Taylor is a New York Times best-selling author, teacher, and Episcopal priest. Her first memoir, Leaving Church (2006), won an Author of the Year award from the Georgia Writers Association. Her last book, Learning to Walk in the Dark (2014), was featured on the cover of TIME magazine. She has served on the faculties of Piedmont College, Columbia Theological Seminary, Candler School ...more

News & Interviews

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The Rox...
“If Jesus were in charge of an average congregation I figure there would be about four people left there on Sunday mornings, and chances are those four would be fooling themselves. Jesus would greet newcomers by saying, "Are you absolutely sure you want to follow this way of life? It will take everything you have. It has to come before everything else that matters to you. Plenty of people have launched out on it without counting the cost, and as you can see they are not here anymore. 'Ihe other thing is, if you succeed-if you really do follow me-it will probably get you killed. Why don't you go home and think it over? I would hate for you to get in over your head:'
lie is the complete opposite of the good parish minister.”
1 likes